shop heater intake/exhaust question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

View mncamperguy's Photo Album My Photos
shop heater intake/exhaust question

I am installing a Space-Ray cold blocker radiant series heater in my three car garage (woodshop in third stall). Location is Minnesota.

I have decided to run a second vent for the combustion which will run through a concentric kit along with the exhaust gas. I figured I would eliminate or reduce long term maintenance with dusty conditions.

My question is do I need to insulate the intake pipe? Will the concentric kit be enough to warm the intake to eliminate condensation? If yes, insulate the entire way to the control box or just a 4 ft section?

Note, both exhaust and intake are horizontal going through the wall vs. vertical through the roof. Both runs will be about 25 ft with one 90 degree elbow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2016, 05:21 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Question: Are you having an open flame with dusty conditions? Concerned.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-08-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

View mncamperguy's Photo Album My Photos
Technically yes, but that is why I am running a fresh air intake to the outside and not using air from the inside of the garage. The control/fire box is contained, only incoming air will be from the vent to the outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-08-2016, 11:21 AM

View Jesse Blair's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think the dust in a typical wood shop would be concentrated enough to be at risk for combustion, especially in a 3 car garage area. I think your plan seems fine. I would insulate the first few feet just to be safe. Granted, I am not even remotely qualified to make such a claim. Just my reckoning of the situation.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-08-2016, 11:49 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
This is opinion, based on looking at videos about concentric intake/exhaust systems and my own 57 years of experiences ... it appears there is only need for the one concentric pipe.
Intake air is pulled in through the outer pipe, which cools the exhaust while heating the intake. If you're using the PVC of the video, there shouldn't be enough condensation on the outside to worry about.

With a 25' run, I suppose it would be somewhat possible to have the exhaust tube too cool, by the time you get to the wall to the outside, to warm the intake air. You might get some distance of cold air coming through, and a little condensation. Only then, would I worry about insulating. And you'll also know how far it's required.

I am not sure if this is what your talking about, though. It sounds as if you're actually running THREE pipes. One that will be the concentric pipe of two, and a third pipe. I am unsure of your intent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode