Shop Dust Collection - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 10-24-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
Question Shop Dust Collection

Okay!

So I have a Workshop in my shed outside my house, It's about 18' by 11' with a porch on it. I have mostly benchtop tools to conserve space. I recently purchased a small dust collector to cut down on dust in the place. I just had a few questions that some of you may be able to help me with.
I have a band saw, planer, table saw, sander, and miter saw, I am looking to connect the dust collector to all of these, but not all at the same time, being I have storage places for them, and the dust hose won't be needed on all of them, all of the time.
My dust collector is a 650 CFM, 1hp unit, with a 4 inch adapter on the side. One thing I noticed, It came with a 4 x 2 reducer coupling, and when i use it, the bag doesn't blow all of the way up, which means it is not getting enough air to breath.

My main concern is, How should I do my setup for this?
Should I use 4 inch hose right off the collector, and then use a 4x2 reducer coupling at the machine.
Or should I put a 4x3 reducer coupling on the dust collector and then reduce from 3 to 2 inch at the machine.

My main concern is, Getting the most suction I can out of this collector.
I know it wouldn't be practical to bush down all at once, because i've tried that, and the machine will not breath as much as it is intended to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know what brand of tools you have

And it does make a difference as to what size the collector ports are. So I'll take a shot at your question.
Here's what I do after many trails and errors and experiments:

Bandsaw get connected to a serious 6.5 HP Rigid shop vac. it does make more dust than you think.

Miter saw connected to a shop vac almost any one will do 3.5 Hp or greater the dust is generally propelled into the port by the rotating blade and the guard so it's easy to collect.

The tablesaw set up I have takes dust off the bottom, 4" port and off the blade when practical 2 1/2" overarm to a serious 6.5 HP Rigid shop vac. It sucks up far more dust off the blade than you would think!

Sander IS THE BIG ONE since it makes the most dust, assuming it's a belt or disc, not a ROS with a small port in which case a shop vac is what I use, but the adaptors are tricky in that case. I have a dual drum sander and it will create a dust storm in seconds.

The planer is a no brainer since it makes rather large chips rather than dust. Just hook the collector direct to the 4" flex hose off the collector.

If you can use a "separator" or cyclone before the Duct Collector that's even better. You said "bag" and we don't know if your bag is a 30, 5, 2.5, or 1.0 micron and that matters! The smaller the micron number the better. I personally would not use the 2" adaptor, but instead get a decent shop vac for the smaller ports.

A quick coupler can be rigged up using a 4" PVC coupler and the flared dust collector fittings from Woodcraft. Anything that's a slip fit will draw itself together when the machine is turned on and make switching between a snap. I hook the 4" to each machine directly and do not "Y" or use blast gates. But that's just me. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-24-2010 at 08:34 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-25-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

Thanks!

Hey Bill, Thank's for the advice.
The only concern I have with your setup is that my shop isn't quite big enough for 3-4 shop vac's, Like I said its only 11 by 18 with a porch recessed into the one side of it. Basically I have done this SO FAR.

My dust collector hangs on the wall, corner of my shop. There is a 4 x 3 reducer coupling coming right off the collector. What I plan on doing is hooking up 3 x 2 reducer couplings to all of the tools. After that, I will run a 3 inch flex hose from the 4x3 reducer flex coupling right off the collector, and I will be able to hook it up to all of the tools. I will have a pvc or abs fitting on the end of the hose, this way I could just hook it up to the machines with out tightening any hose clamps each time. Being I have a small shop, I will have 1 hose hooked up per machine at a time.
Also, the Tablesaw, I will most likely have a dust chute put on the bottom of it, right now the dust goes onto the floor, Ill have the chute with a 3 inch adapter on it, So I can hook the 3 inch flex hose right onto it.

Think that will be my best shot at this one.
So far as the miter saw is concerned, I think i may have the shop vac hooked to that one, Being its in the other half of the shop which is divided by a door. But I did test the collector with the 4x3 reducer flex coup on it, and works just fine. My main concern was having to bush down 2-3 inches, and losing CFM's

Thank's for teh Help Bill!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me I'd just hook up 4 x 2 reducers on the tools and then use 4" hose. Mabye Rocklers flex hose and quick-connect system would be good for your situation. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21316
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21449

I think you'd lose more CFM with the 3" flex hose than with the 4".
post #5 of 14 Old 10-26-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

See my isse s losing Cfms by reducing too much at a time. I only hook 1 tool up at a time so I think reducing from 4 to 3 then 3 to 2 at the tools would be bettter off
post #6 of 14 Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 PM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with ACP on this. As a general rule, keep the hose as big as you can for as long as you can, and you'll get more out of it.

Gradually reducing the hose size will knock the suction down faster. Enjoy the new setup.

Rob
post #7 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 AM

View Longknife's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Bill, I was interested in your DC setup. Where did you find the filter? Is it made for this DC brand only? Does it clog up and how do clean it? Smart thing with a drum instead of plastic bag, problem is to find one that fits. It looks pretty much like the dynamite drums Ive seen on construction sites.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 AM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Be careful when reducing sizes. Doing so reduces air velocity in your main line causing dust to drop out of the airstream and sit in your line.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #9 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The filter is a Jet, came with the DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longknife View Post
Bill, I was interested in your DC setup. Where did you find the filter? Is it made for this DC brand only? Does it clog up and how do clean it? Smart thing with a drum instead of plastic bag, problem is to find one that fits. It looks pretty much like the dynamite drums Ive seen on construction sites.
The filter does get clogged, but has an internal fin wiper that you manually rotate on the top to shake the dust off the filter fins. You should do this once a day, but I forget. I take the whole filter outside in the drive and roll it and bump it to loosen the dust about once a month. I'm working on a dust/chip separator system to go before the DC unit...another "project"!

The fiber board drums are 30 gals, from a drum supply house in Detroit. MI. The "adaptor", drum to DC, is made of 2 feeder trays from a Tractor Supply store, one inverted, one upright, with the majority of the centers removed leaving only 2" of the rim. The rims, under and above, were sealed with self sticky foam insulation tape for a gasket. Bungee cords hold it down to the mobile base that came with the dust collector. So.....as you now know a fair amount of innovation was required to achieve this result, but No Plastic Bags! I keep extra empty drums for quick change if need be. I'll post some photos when I can. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-27-2010 at 08:26 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The filter does get clogged, but has an internal fin wiper that you manually rotate on the top to shake the dust off the filter fins. You should do this once a day, but I forget. I take the whole filter outside in the drive and roll it and bump it to loosen the dust about once a month. I'm working on a dust/chip separator system to go before the DC unit...another "project"!

The fiber board drums are 30 gals, from a drum supply house in Detroit. MI. The "adaptor", drum to DC, is made of 2 feeder trays from a Tractor Supply store, one inverted, one upright, with the majority of the centers removed leaving only 2" of the rim. The rims, under and above, were sealed with self sticky foam insulation tape for a gasket. Bungee cords hold it down to the mobile base that came with the dust collector. So.....as you now know a fair amount of innovation was required to achieve this result, but No Plastic Bags! I keep extra empty drums for quick change if need be. I'll post some photos when I can. bill
Drum supply house ? Do you have everything in the States??
Anyway, thanks for the info. I will definitly try to find a drum to my DC. Im so fed up with the plastic bags.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

Dust collection

Thank's for the ideas everyone. My dilema is basically trying to find out a way to set this up here still. I have all my tools which are 2 1/2 inch, but the dust collector is a 4 inch. I don't really have space for stationary tools, So I have mainly all benchtop models, except for my tablesaw, which is able to be stored under my Workbench.

Let me take a vote,
Should I do a main run down my back wall and have that be 4 inch, then have drops with 3 inch flex hose coming from it in 2-3 different spots?

or

Just have a 4x3 inch reducer on the dust collector, and have 3x2 inch reducers on the tools??
post #12 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 AM

Sorry for leading your thread astray. I vote for doing it the easy way. (as ACP suggested). A 4" flexhose and 4x2 reducers on the tools.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 04:34 PM

View Rick Mathison's Photo Album My Photos
Leave any and all duct runs as large as possible. The only reason to reduce ducting on the way to a tool is if you will be running more than one piece of equipment at a time. Stepping your duct as gradual as possible from 4" to 3" to 2 1/2" at the last possible moment will cause less turbulance. I would run 4" duct to your bench top area and then install a 4x2x2 wye at the end of the run. In order to not "starve the collector for air you will more than likely have to have one side of the wye hooked up to the tool and leave the other open or partially open to supply enough intake air.

Rick
post #14 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

Lightbulb Final Decision!

Well thank's to you guys, I have found a solution for my workshop.

I am going to split the dust collector intake with a 4 x 3 wye right off and have a blast gate on one of the outputs on the wye. The straight part of the wye will continue down the back of the shop wall, to the bench in the back. The bench in the back will have 2, 3 inch drops on it with blast gates. The tools will have the 3 inch quick connect couplers on them so I can easily connect them. The other 3 inch coming off of the wye will have a drop having a 3 inch flex hose connected to it for the heavier tools like the planer and tablesaw. The other drops on the back wall will be for the bandsaw, router table, and sander. The miter saw I will either vacuum after, or have the shop vac hooked up to it at all times.

I would also like to thank everyone for the awesome ideas and advice. I really appreciate this all, and I hope I could return the same advice in some way in the future.

Tags
collector, dust, dust collection, fittings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode