Shiplap attachment question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 09-07-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

View ibrewster's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ibrewster
Question Shiplap attachment question

So I'm working on building a bookcase out of quarter-sawn white oak (mostly), and for the back I'm doing shiplap, partly because I've never done it before and wanted to try the technique, partly because I like the way it looks, and partly because I just don't like plywood :-)

At any rate, I'm running into a slight difficulty trying to decide how to attach the pieces. My thinking so far has been as follows:

First thought: Just run a bead of glue around the edges, maybe add some nails to "clamp" them in place, and call it good. That's what I did with plywood.

BUT WAIT!!! This is solid wood, not plywood, and the whole point of shiplap is to allow the boards to expand and contract freely while maintaining a good look. If I glue all the way around the edges, they can't move. Bad idea.

So on to thought two: One small drop of glue (and maybe a brad nail) top and bottom center of each board. This would allow the boards to expand outward from center.

My concern with that is strength: this is the back of a bookcase. People are doubtless going to be slamming books against the back and the like. Would the rather minimal attachment point hold up to that kind of abuse?

Then, too, is the fact that the wood is quarter-sawn. I seem to recall something about quarter-sawn wood being more stable. Maybe I don't need to worry about expansion and contraction so much?

At that point I just figured I'd let more experienced minds than mine answer the question. So: what is the best/proper way to attach a ship-lap back to a bookcase?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I though shiplap was only supposed to be nailed? Been a while since I read the shopnotes article about it, but I thought glue was a no-no because of the expansion/contraction

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 10 Old 09-07-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

You could well be right. Like I said, this is something I have never tried before :) I was thinking glue because I simply don't trust nails to hold. With just a single nail top and bottom I'm REALLY concerned about how well the back will hold up.

Maybe the solution is to attach a hold strip of some sort across the top and bottom of the boards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2015, 01:26 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrewster View Post
You could well be right. Like I said, this is something I have never tried before :) I was thinking glue because I simply don't trust nails to hold. With just a single nail top and bottom I'm REALLY concerned about how well the back will hold up.

Maybe the solution is to attach a hold strip of some sort across the top and bottom of the boards?
Id trust the nail myself. Sure, they may not last forever, but id be willing to wager theyd hold longer than most of us will be alive. If not, well, theres always small screws

I need cheaper hobby
post #5 of 10 Old 09-08-2015, 03:54 AM

View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
Are you using a rabbet on all four sides of your shiplapped boards? You can use a small width board that has a rabbet on one side to hold the bottom and top of the boards in place (assuming your shiplapped boards are running vertical). The nail, screw or small drop of glue should be on the side of the board that has the rabbet facing into your bookcase. The side that has the rabbet facing out, will be held in by the next shiplapped board, until you get to the last board.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-08-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Id trust the nail myself. Sure, they may not last forever, but id be willing to wager theyd hold longer than most of us will be alive. If not, well, theres always small screws
Well, in that case I'll go ahead and give nails a shot. Should the back pop off at some point, I can always re-attach it with some other option (such as small screws, like you said). I just hesitated because pretty much every bookcase I have seen (the el-chepo particle board ones with the nailed-on back) has the back coming off of it.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-08-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORBlackFZ1 View Post
Are you using a rabbet on all four sides of your shiplapped boards? You can use a small width board that has a rabbet on one side to hold the bottom and top of the boards in place (assuming your shiplapped boards are running vertical). The nail, screw or small drop of glue should be on the side of the board that has the rabbet facing into your bookcase. The side that has the rabbet facing out, will be held in by the next shiplapped board, until you get to the last board.
Thanks for the information on the nail placement. I was thinking center, but it makes sense to offset it as you describe. Thanks!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Well, in that case I'll go ahead and give nails a shot. Should the back pop off at some point, I can always re-attach it with some other option (such as small screws, like you said). I just hesitated because pretty much every bookcase I have seen (the el-chepo particle board ones with the nailed-on back) has the back coming off of it.
That's because of the material, not the nail. Particle board doesn't hold nails well at all

I need cheaper hobby
post #9 of 10 Old 09-08-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
That's because of the material, not the nail. Particle board doesn't hold nails well at all
Oh, yeah, huh. That makes sense. That makes me feel much better :) Thanks!
post #10 of 10 Old 09-09-2015, 01:21 AM
Village Idiot

Quote:
Oh, yeah, huh. That makes sense. That makes me feel much better :) Thanks!
Any time mate, i only caution against the mistakes ive made

I need cheaper hobby

Tags
shiplap shrinkage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode