Shelf strength - span length. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

View IowaDave's Photo Album My Photos
Shelf strength - span length.

My son is building a project and is using oak ply for the carcass. It is intended to be a bookcase/shelf as far as I know. He is making it per the wishes of someone and I am a little concerned that the design, while cool looking, may not stand the test of time. The dimensions are approximately: 70" long, 28" high, 14" deep. There is one shelf lengthwise at about the mid point and one vertical piece joined to the underside of the top and the top of the horizontal shelf. There will be a back, so that will add strength.

I am concerned that the shelf, and perhaps even the top, will sag over time. He has proactively mechanically affixed a couple of slim profile metal plates to the bottom of the horizontal shelf to add stiffness/strength.

Are there any guidelines, etc, that can be referenced as to what span would be acceptable prior to sagging, etc? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2020, 11:36 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Try this:
https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 5 Old 06-27-2020, 09:44 AM

View OldDon's Photo Album My Photos
How about adding a front, and maybe even a 2nd rear, vertical 1.5" or so lip of hardwood/plywood to reinforce the shelf?

Craftsman 113.29992 Table saw, Craftsman 10" band saw, H. F. 10" drill press, MicroLux 7"x16" lathe, Dewalt 734 planer & Craftsman 6 1/8" jointer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-27-2020, 12:56 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDon View Post
How about adding a front, and maybe even a 2nd rear, vertical 1.5" or so lip of hardwood/plywood to reinforce the shelf?
Maybe like the rear board on this 1970s-style shelf? I made it to match a larger, wider shelf that is actually from the 1970s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Oak Shelf.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	391555  

post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

View IowaDave's Photo Album My Photos
FYI, he ended up doubling the thickness of the middle, unsupported from below, shelf. So it is not 1-1/2" thick and he added reinforcing steel below, with additional screws on the underside, where they will not be seen. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. FWIW, I ran his approach through the "sagulator", with the 1-1/2" thickness, and it judged it as "acceptable" and that was without taking into consideration the additional steel supports underneath and the screws in the field...so I think he should be good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode