Sheet Good Storage - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 12-19-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Sheet Good Storage

I'm curious how some of you store your sheet goods without taking up a ton of space. I'm trying to come up with something. The leading idea is the store them leaned against a wall behind a 18'x48"x72" metal shelf that I have side access too. If I do this, the sheet goods would be stored 8' tall, not sideways. I used to use a cart (shown) but its just to big in this shop as I'm looking for something thats not movable and out of the way as much as possible. Another thought is to actually get rid of all sheet good and only purchase as needed. In the past I've tried to keep some MDF (templates, etc) , OSB, and standard plywood around as I seemed always need it. Now that I have moved and only live 1 mile from Lowes, I could easily get something when needed.

Any photos or recommended methods will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	107297  

Attached Images

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I have a catch table behind my table saw that doubles as a plywood rack.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have mine on a rack over my garage door.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-20-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Both sound like great ideas. Unfortunately I don't have the room for the table and I have lights hanging from ceiling. I may look but not sure how I could do that.

Thanks for commenting though!!

Mark

post #5 of 21 Old 12-20-2014, 03:24 PM

View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
I know that sheet good storage is a major waste of space in my small basement shop. I have it all leaning against a wall that could be more useful used for other things. I don't even have much of anything good in the pile. Five sheets of peg board I got cheap, some hard board pieces, some OSB and some other scraps. So I am in the same boat. The cart might be a good option for me though as at least I could wheel it around to out of the way spaces when not needed.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-20-2014, 05:44 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I don't store them. I have a use for it before I buy it, so I don't have to store it.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Being that most of my sheet goods come from leftovers at work I take them as they come. Right now I have a fair amount of high end birch and red oak ply.

I think the best storage scenario for any wood is horizontal properly supported. I dont have the room for that so all of my 8ft + material is leaned against a wall. Definitely not ideal but I cant stand to see good wood thrown in the dumpster.

Plus Im a bit of a wood hoarder.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-20-2014, 07:39 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
theres no magic trick thats going to make them disappear... store them against a wall, or behind something, or buy them as you need to use them.

I buy sheets as I need them. I end up with inevitable leftovers, but they are small peices that dont take much room.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 AM

View Dovetails's Photo Album My Photos
Is there anyone who has found a way to store them horizontally, above the garage door? In the unused space where the garage door folds up? Might be too difficult to get it up and down I guess...
post #10 of 21 Old 12-21-2014, 12:21 AM

Sheet Good Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I have mine on a rack over my garage door.

George
Yes,George has.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-21-2014, 12:39 AM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetails View Post
Is there anyone who has found a way to store them horizontally, above the garage door? In the unused space where the garage door folds up? Might be too difficult to get it up and down I guess...
sheet of 3/4 ply weighs 60lbs. Sheet of 3/4 MDF weighs approx 3 suns.

In either case, you'd need a scissor lift or something to have any prayer of getting them up and down... going to the store and buying it might be faster/easier.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Wayne

View BaldEagle2012's Photo Album My Photos
I also have a small section in my shop with sheet goods, one solid core door, one sheet of peg board, a few pieces of 3/4 ply, all usable for something, two long pieces of timber; 4" t x 6" w, that could be milled to usable material. I promised myself a year ago that I needed to get that area cleaned out and sorted and redone, I guess a NEW YEAR'S resolution is in order this year to dive in and do it.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-22-2014, 06:12 AM

View kwolfe's Photo Album My Photos
I had a sheet of osb and a couple of leftover 2x4s and built one like in the pic. All of my stuff was leaning against the wall and I started to find it a real pain to get to the sheet in the back. With the roll setup up, the sheets are better supported and I can get at everything better.

Mine is 48" wide by 24" deep and about 6ft tall. I also don't buy sheet good until I'm going to use them so that I don't have to have the full 4x8 laying around sucking up space.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-24-2014, 06:52 AM

View SingleCarGarage's Photo Album My Photos
I have seen where someone took an old matress, removed all of the fabric and was left with just the metal framework, they hung that from the ceiling and stored the wood in that, but that being said you couldnt fit a 4ft wide panel in there.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-25-2014, 12:44 PM

View Kuh Shise's Photo Album My Photos
Lumber & sheet goods storage idea

Although we are lucky to have some 4 feet beside the garage doors, we quickly discovered that inside storage was using too much floor space. We are making our own White Pine paneling (11,000 bd ft) and needed room to store materials when processing this in batches that we could process in a Saturday or an evening. After researching the net for ideas.
We took 4 pieces of 2x4x10 ft. and sat the ends on the floor aligned with the studding on 32" centers. These were lagged into the block and studs, securing them to the wall. Shelf supports are 2x4's sandwiched between 2 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood that are tapered from 8" at the wall to 3" at the end. The length was selected at 36 in to maximize use of the 4 x 8 sheet of plywood (20 pieces). When storing 1" x 8' there is
1 1/2" of support on each end, and a layer contains about 20 bd ft. Loading a shelf with Oak or Hickory will place a load of nearly 2,000 lbs, so be sure to adequately support the wall studs (6 inch in our case) or place legs at the front edge of the shelf.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 AM

View Tom Clark's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
I used to use a cart (shown) but its just to big in this shop as I'm looking for something thats not movable and out of the way as much as possible. Another thought is to actually get rid of all sheet good and only purchase as needed. In the past I've tried to keep some MDF (templates, etc) , OSB, and standard plywood around as I seemed always need it. Now that I have moved and only live 1 mile from Lowes, I could easily get something when needed.
Even though you live next to a supplier, what are you going to do with that left over half-sheet? All jobs have some left over pieces that are too good to toss. My rack is 4 feet wide, but could be made any size, larger or smaller. The higher upper levels are well used, utilizing space that is left empty in most shops.

Since I live far away from suppliers, when I need one sheet I get two or more for stock. Also have left over sheets of Formica, plastic, and many other things on the rack. Top layer is self supporting with legs all the way to the floor.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-26-2014, 11:16 AM

View Tom Clark's Photo Album My Photos
forgot to post photo Duh!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	109713  

post #18 of 21 Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
forgot to post photo Duh!
Man. I hate it when that happens. I have done it about 3 times in the week.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-26-2014, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Tom,

That looks like a very useful storage system. My challenge is I don't have that kind of floor space. I've rearranged my shop (some of it anyway) 3 times since I initially moved in last September.

I do know I'll always need some sheet good storage, but doubt it'll ever be more than a 4x4 sheet.

Mark

post #20 of 21 Old 12-26-2014, 03:08 PM

View Anywhy30's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like could make templets of most left over there Paul. They are at least more use full than as scrap.

[/I]Clearing the room[/I]
The Following User Says Thank You to Anywhy30 For This Useful Post:
pmtottawa (12-26-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode