Sheet Good Cutting - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 12 Old 09-16-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

View thepres560's Photo Album My Photos
Sheet Good Cutting

On a tight budget, what is the best and most accurate way to rip sheet goods by myself? I'm not so sure that the homemade f lamp down fences and circular saw are my favorite method. Lol Doing this alone on the table saw is just way too cumbersome, especially with my very limited shop space.

A track saw is out of budget right now too. Thank you much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 12:54 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
make your own "track saw" from plywood

Here's a cheap and easy way to make a guide for your circular saw that does not require additional measuring ... measure twice, cut once, NOT.:smile3:

FrankC likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 11:35 AM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
My first basement shop had no way to move full size sheet goods down the steps, so I developed a process for breaking down sheet goods in the garage. I keep four really straight 2x4s and a 110" aluminum straight edge for this purpose. I support the plywood face down on the four 2x4s with a pair on each side of the cut line. I mark the cut line the full length of the cut and align the straight edge off of the cut the width of the saw shoe. The 2x4s give enough clearance for the saw blade and for the clamp heads (I use a couple of 6" Quick Grip clamps). I usually cut a bit oversize and trim to finished size on the table saw. I use an 18 volt cordless saw fitted with a fine tooth blade for the break down cuts. On the thin stuff, just be careful not to kneel on an unsupported area while cutting. Now that I can move full size sheet goods down to the basement in my new shop, I still use this method since it's a booger handling a full sheet on the table saw by one's self.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 01:29 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I have the lumber yard cut sheet goods down on their panel saw before it goes in the truck. Easypeasy.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 02:03 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I use this sheet rack, two 2 X 4's that form an X on a couple sawhorses to hold the sheet and a circular saw guide I made up from scrap plywood.

http://sawdustmaking.com/Sheet%20Rack/rack.htm

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 02:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
cutting guides VS work support

There are as many ways to support a 4 X 8 sheet as there are woodworkers. I use 2 X 4's on saw horses that I can slide around to accommodate various width cuts. ....but they will get cut into, no matter how careful you are. :frown2:
I did purchase a 2" pink solid foam insulating panel for this purpose also, but haven't used it yet.

Some guys will work right on the ground with raised 2 X 4's, but they are younger and can still get up without assistance. A work table height of 30" allows you to reach all the way across for a cross cut and makes ripping easier also. Most saw horses are a bit taller unless they are home/shop built. I made mine lower for this reason. By the time you get all set up with work supports and cutting guides, you probably could have carried your table saw up from the shop and just used that....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 02:38 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I still use a Skilsaw to make the initial cuts on sheet goods.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

View thepres560's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone! I have been using 2 rectangular frames made from 2x3s and it works very well, just want to see if I could find anything better and more accurate.

Keep making sawdust! Thanks again!
post #9 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 03:09 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I like using my cordless saw with the blade on the left when trimming large sheets, it allows me to follow along beside the saw rather than reaching over the sheet.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #10 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 05:05 PM

View Goldstar225's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Here's a cheap and easy way to make a guide for your circular saw that does not require additional measuring ... measure twice, cut once, NOT.:smile3:

Amazing Circular Saw Jig: Quick, Accurate & Easy - YouTube
I made one of these several years ago. It's saved me lots of time (and bad cuts).

Tom Mayberry
post #11 of 12 Old 09-18-2017, 12:43 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Track Saw Substitute Cheap

I made a track guide for my 2 old porta cable circular saws, that even though the saws are different they will work interchangeably. I wanted a guide base that could be easily mounted, and would still allow the guard to work and that could be used with my harbor freight clamp and cut edge guides. It is made from 1/2" plywood with a couple of maple guide rails, with the bottoms lined with 1/8" hardboard. To mount the saw I used a leftover piece of hanging rail (used for hanging shelf standards), to clamp the saw at the front of the guide, and a bolt thru a drilled hole in the bottom rear of the base of the saws. I also fashioned an alignment guide out of Plexiglas that adjusts to make sure the saw is positioned correctly, depending on which saw I mount. This idea could be adapted easily to any circular saw. The guide uses 2 cut guides in order space the edge guide correctly (my cut guides are 1-3/4"), and they store under the clamp knobs when I the guide. As you can see in the photos, I used a thin cut finish cut blade...That had a lot of mileage on it...and it still cuts pristeen, clean, no splinter lines, due to the blade running perfectly parallel. I consider this a worthwhile project if you want clean cuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20170918_104813.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	315850  

Name:	P_20170918_105301.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	315858  

Name:	P_20170918_105756.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	315866  

Name:	P_20170918_105827.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	315874  

Name:	P_20170918_110801.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	315882  

post #12 of 12 Old 09-18-2017, 02:30 PM

View Dodis's Photo Album My Photos
I've been using the homemade saw guides for years with great success. Main key is that I do make sure to clamp it down so I can keep two hands on the saw as much as possible, then it won't wander away from the guide. I've been thinking about modifying the simple rip fence that comes with the saw to straddle the saw guild and hold the saw against the guide. Just need to get back out in the shop to do this, too many family health issues going on right now.

As for the table setup, I built the cutting table from Woodsmith, and attached it to a pair of the stamped steel folding sawhorses for legs. Makes just the right height to slide plywood from the truck bed to the table to do my cutting before carrying it all back to the shop. And I still need to get some good pics of my saw guides. I make 3 from a sheet of 3/16" Masonite with 1/2" ply for the guide bar. Then cut one in 3' and 5' for smaller work. The third one goes into storage for a replacement.

Here are my posts from a previous thread with some details on it.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/p...x2/#post877586

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/p...x3/#post879065

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/p...x3/#post879570

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/p...x5/#post896137

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/p...x5/#post904521

Mike
Texas Gulf Coast
Weekend Wood Wrecker...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode