Sharpening System - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Sharpening System

I saw a sharpening system in Home Depot. It is a Wen (which I'm not really fond of).
Is anyone here familiar with it or any other sharpening systems. Need it mostly for chisels.
When I get a lathe, It will be a separate system due to the rounding caused by gouges. Grinders are a whole different story.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 09:18 AM
Mike

View Pretender's Photo Album My Photos
I sharpen free hand on a trend diamond plate 300/100 grit.
I don't care for the sharpening machines.
By the time you get the machine set up, I'm done.
Check out Rob Cosman for some tips.

Last edited by Pretender; 09-30-2020 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 09:50 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Having done it for 30 yrs and tried about every system, I have settled on a combination of diamond and water stones & freehand sharpening.

That said, if you're not sharpening frequently, machines might be the best way to go if you don't want to invest in all the stones.

I don't know anything about WEN other than they are not a top tier brand, but I've heard good things about Worksharp.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 12:05 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I saw a sharpening system in Home Depot. It is a Wen (which I'm not really fond of).
Is anyone here familiar with it or any other sharpening systems. Need it mostly for chisels.
When I get a lathe, It will be a separate system due to the rounding caused by gouges. Grinders are a whole different story.
I am wondering which "Wen sharpening system" you are referring to. I looked at Home Depot's website, and found two different Wen wet grinders, but that doesn't line up with your statement very well.

The Wen wet grinders look like the Grizzly 10 inch wet grinder, which I would not recommend. I use the Grizzly wet grinder with Tormek jigs for my HSS woodturning tools. I get by with it, but would not recommend it to my friends. I wish I had a low speed grinder with CBN wheels and the Wolverine jigs instead. Someday perhaps.

I would not recommend the wet grinder for chisels or hand plane blades. Among the many objections, wet grinders are no good for flattening the backs of your chisels and hand plane blades. Note that some people prefer the hollow grind that you get with a grinding wheel, others do not.

For chisels and hand plane blades, I use flat diamond stones followed by Japanese water stones. I highly recommend the Veritas Mk.II Deluxe Honing Guide Set. It is heavy and solid, and the metal setter gives a very consistent angle setting for the bevel. It is the consistency that I most appreciate.
allpurpose likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 12:49 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I use the Wolverine system with a CBN wheel on a low speed grinder. It works like a champ for lathe tools . I recently added the Wolverine jig that sharpens chisels. It works well, but power sharpening is limited by the grit of the CBN wheel, so chisels need more work on flat stones after establishing the profile. The jug has a roller for that too, but it needs to be re-adjusted when going from grinder to flat stone.

The WEN I saw on the HD site looks like a knockoff of the Tormek. I think I’d like to have a Tormek, but the way they accomplish a grit change seems nonsensical to me. You rub a paste on the stone to make the grit finer by clogging the stone, then you remove the paste by using a dressing tool.

I don’t have one, but I hear a lot of good reviews of the Work Sharp.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 08:43 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
Count me as a worksharp lover! Bought mine on clearance [25% off] when a local sears was going out of business... i never knew what a sharp chisel was, until i sharpened mine...

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

@Tool Agnostic

Here is what he has:
10 in. 2-Direction Water Cooled Wet/Dry Sharpening System
220-grit stone and leather-stropping wheel
$119

I like the hollow grind and would do the back surface with either a diamond or with Arkansas wet stones to keep the bottom flat. He has his about 6 months and uses it alot.

post #8 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 09:37 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle View Post
Count me as a worksharp lover! Bought mine on clearance [25% off] when a local sears was going out of business... i never knew what a sharp chisel was, until i sharpened mine...
Can you tell us a little more about what you like so much about it?
post #9 of 17 Old 09-30-2020, 10:59 PM

View MRB10's Photo Album My Photos
I use a worksharp 3000 for chisels, plane irons. I have the belt attachment for knives and scissors. I bought an 800/1200 CBN Disc and it changed my life. Attachments for gouges were discontinued years ago and are highly sought on auction sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 17 Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
@Tool Agnostic

Here is what he has:
10 in. 2-Direction Water Cooled Wet/Dry Sharpening System
220-grit stone and leather-stropping wheel
$119

I like the hollow grind and would do the back surface with either a diamond or with Arkansas wet stones to keep the bottom flat. He has his about 6 months and uses it alot.
The outside case and switch and other cosmetics are slightly different, but the wheels and plastic parts look the same as the Grizzly. I bet they are made in the same factory.

I listed the many issues I found with the Grizzly, but the website ate my homework, and I am too lazy to retype it. I'll do it again another time.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-01-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

My buddy has been using it for almost 6 mos. He has the accessory kit from Wen (I think) and a few other accessories from some of the better manufacturers. He knows how to make a knife sharp. And, he did a really good job on my chisels.
I'm going to put buying one on the back burner for a while. When I get a lathe, I will get it for sure.

post #12 of 17 Old 10-05-2020, 08:41 AM

View gmcromp's Photo Album My Photos
Quickstep, you ask about the worksharp 3000. I have had one since they came out. I added the stumpynubs enhancement and I can just about sharpen anything. I make my own platters out of MDF so I can use various rubbing compounds, I also bought some diamond plate disc on amazon, and added a leather strip disk. With the stumpynubs addition you can do wide blades and jigs. I can sharpen almost anything in a few seconds, couldn't imagine going back to the old way. Hope this helps. Sorry to rob the thread.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a free hand kinda guy .....

I use a Craftsman belt sander 6" X 48" with different grit belts to make the basic edges on flat plane blades, chisels, even scissors without taking them apart and the rounded blades on axes and hatchets. Ever have a scissors that will cut paper great, but not cut a plastic bag or electrical tape? I also use a drill grinding jig to sharpen twist drill mounted to the table. It is a very versatile machine because you can change the grit in less than a minute. Then I use diamond stones to "hone and polish" that edge.
This is a very fast method, BUT you need to develop the skill to hold the blade constant angle. I turn the edge at a slight angle or perpendicular to the belt and carefully watch the change in the reflective surface. I've been doin' this for years and it works well for me. To me, sharpening means "restoring" a blunted edge which means grinding and that is different than "honing" an already good edge. You need to use a different machine/system for each condition.
I don't do any wood lathe work, so the long handled gouges aren't an issue for me. If I did need to sharpen then a simple jig mounted to the table would suffice.
This and my 2 other belt sanders are used for woodworking for small pieces and is less likely to burn like a disc sander which has much different surface speeds from the center outwards on the disc. My discs are cemented on, and it takes 5 to 10 minutes to change them out. I really don't use mine much because of this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-05-2020 at 11:06 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-06-2020, 06:45 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
idk, $9.99 harbor fright diamond plates do alright for me
post #15 of 17 Old 10-07-2020, 11:16 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I am wondering which "Wen sharpening system" you are referring to. I looked at Home Depot's website, and found two different Wen wet grinders, but that doesn't line up with your statement very well.

The Wen wet grinders look like the Grizzly 10 inch wet grinder, which I would not recommend. I use the Grizzly wet grinder with Tormek jigs for my HSS woodturning tools. I get by with it, but would not recommend it to my friends. I wish I had a low speed grinder with CBN wheels and the Wolverine jigs instead. Someday perhaps.

I would not recommend the wet grinder for chisels or hand plane blades. Among the many objections, wet grinders are no good for flattening the backs of your chisels and hand plane blades. Note that some people prefer the hollow grind that you get with a grinding wheel, others do not.

For chisels and hand plane blades, I use flat diamond stones followed by Japanese water stones. I highly recommend the Veritas Mk.II Deluxe Honing Guide Set. It is heavy and solid, and the metal setter gives a very consistent angle setting for the bevel. It is the consistency that I most appreciate.
I have the same Veritas jig.. I use it with several grits of sandpaper from Klingspor on a chunk of thick glass.. Works for me..

The only Wen product I have is my 18 gauge nailer and it's a pretty darn good nailer..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.

Last edited by allpurpose; 10-07-2020 at 11:18 AM.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
First a joke. Apologies to Johnny Carson and the Perfect Martini.

There is a new 'Lost In The Desert' rescue kit for your vehicle. The kit consists of one bull horn, a small wooden sharpening station, a sharpening system and several dull chisels.

The way the kit works is that when you get lost in the desert you set the kit up and use the bull horn to announce, "Attention, attention. I am going to demonstrate how to perfectly sharpen a chisel."

Within seconds, 100 woodworkers will appear; 63 of the woodworkers will tell you that you are doing it wrong, 29 of the woodworkers will tell you how they sharpen chisels, 7 woodworkers will tell you that you are not sharpening chisels safely and one woodworker will be there to try to learn how to sharpen the chisel.

If you offer to buy a beer for the one woodworker there to learn, the woodworker will help you put the rescue kit back in the vehicle and then lead you out of the desert and to a place that sells beer.

Ha, ha.

The point being that there are about half a zillion sharpening systems out there. These sharpening systems will work wonderfully well when demonstrated by someone that has a financial interest in selling you the system.

A further point is that the only perfectly sharpened chisel is one that you sharpen AND it matches the cutting task and your personal style. You may have to use two or three sharpening systems to achieve your personal perfection. Personally, I use three systems, but that is just me. Which ones? Irrelevant for this discussion.

Regardless of the system(s) used there are only a few universal rules for sharpening a chisel.
1 ~ Flatten the back of the chisel
2 ~ Grind the bevel angle to match the chisel steel and your style.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #17 of 17 Old 10-07-2020, 08:23 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
By the way, I did buy an older work sharp machine that's good for roughing really old dull chisels back to the living then finishing up the hard way.. it made quick work of an almost rounded plane iron that I was able to polish later with fine sandpaper..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode