Woodworking Talk banner

shaper shaft

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Gerry KIERNAN 
#1 ·
Many years ago I came across a shaper built in 89 everything is in good shape except the shaft, pulley end. What happed my best guess is the drive pulley became loose and was retightened but not on the flat so it got out of round the pulley that is and the shaft got more messed up, to thepoint that it got put out to pasture. So I took it apart and the shaft itself is straight but just wore one the one end here's my thouht weld up the end and turn it back to original diamater and then put a keyway in it instead of the flat that was in it to begin with. do you think it is worth going this route or shoud I try and come up with a new one.
Jerry

#4 ·
Totally uneducated opinion but I would think any decent machinist would be be able to turn the shaft down and secure a collar to rebuild it. Could be wrong, that may weakin the shaft too much. But as mentioned, you might be able to replace the shaft relatively cheap. Assuming the shaper is of a brand that might still have parts available.

#5 ·
having it worked on

we'll here the scoup the shaft is not made anymore and the replacement for it is not in stock and they do't know if they even have one to be had so it is of to be remade at the locale tool and die shop for about the price that it would have cost if Sears Roebuck had one
Jerry

#7 ·
costly

The shaft is a little tricky in that there is more than meet the first the shaft is different at each end one has a flat for the bushing set screw and a narrow key-way at the other four cuts for the C clips and the bearings then needed t be press fit into the housing that holds the shaft 90.00 plus bearings s it was way cheaper to have it fixed and they guarantee their work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.