Shaper/Router Table???? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Ack

View Ack's Photo Album My Photos
Shaper/Router Table????

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a shaper and a router table?

I'm assuming that there may not be a great difference but just want to make sure. So please excuse me for my ignorance. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
They are the same in principle

But they differ in scale. Shapers have a vertical arbor coming up from the bottom in various sizes and including an adaptor for a router collet/chuck. They are generally more powerful, heavier, and will accept a very wide range and height of cutters.They are also reversible where routers are not. They do not have the wide range of speeds a variable speed router would have or the higher rpms, because the larger size of the cutters will not perform or be dangerous at these higher speeds. A large router,3 1/2 Hp, mounted on a lift in a good table, possibly cast iron, is a thing of joy to work with. Good power and ease of adjustment from the top. Pricey tho!
The same $ dollars will buy a 3Hp Grizzly cast iron table shaper with 3 spindles 1/2", 3/4" and 1". I have both and types and enjoy working with both. hope this helps. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2009, 07:29 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Bill,

Your opinion on something: When I was in college to be an industrial arts teacher (I won't tell you how long ago but the machines may have been powered by steam engines and water wheels) the professor, a very smart guy, told us that the shaper was the most dangerous power tool in the shop. Then he regaled up with appropriate horror stories that generally had to do with pieces of wood turning into missiles.

What's your opinion on this? (Anyone else can join in, too!)

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 PM

View windstorm's Photo Album My Photos
Ack, here's a router table made by Bench Dog & the kind of lift that Bill mentioned. The lift allows you to incrementally raise & lower the height of the bit above the table surface by adjusting a nut on top. Many woodworkers custom build their own tables & you'll find some creative designs on this site just by searching "router table." I don't know much about shapers, but they're usually designated for heavy jobs that require large cutters. I happen to own the setup below with the Porter Cable 7518 3 1/4 HP router & it cuts like butter. Welcome to the forum.
Attached Images

Last edited by windstorm; 04-13-2009 at 07:45 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I was that Instructor!

We calculated the launch speed of wood as follows:
The post was entitled "Flying Wood" on www.routerforums.com
"I really don't know , but maybe we can calculate it:
A table saw blade at 4000 or so RPM with a 10" blade has a peripheral speed of 4000 x pi D or 125,600 in per min divided by 12 equals 10,466 ft per min. divided 5280 equals miles per min. times 60 equals
118.93 MPH.
A 1" router bit turning at 20,000 rpm has a peripheral speed of 20,000 x pi D or (1.57) correction should be 3.14" or...... 31,400 in per min divided by 12 equals 2676.66 ft per min, divided by 5280 equals .4955 miles per min. times 60 equals (29.73 MPH) times 2 equals 59,46MPH
If this is far off, please forgive me. I studied Art in school, so I can't read, write, spell or do math! I stayed in college so long they gave me a job teaching there! Thankfully, I got a real job at a big 3 car co. and retired early.
PS Good thing Howard Hughes is dead, he'd want to get a patent on Flying Wood!
The most dangerours tool in the shop is a mind that's not focused on the job at hand. The shaper is a close second, which is tied with the jointer, which is in second place with the table saw!
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-13-2009 at 07:48 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
shapers

Yes...shapers "can" be quite dangerous, although there aren't too many major woodworking tools that arent. Most people use rather large cutterheads in shapers and if the proper precautions arent taken then yes they can do some damage. I use a shaper to make raised panel doors. On a router table with a 3 hp router it usually takes 3 or passes to raise the panel. On the other hand a shaper can handle that in a single pass(although i make a final shallow pass to clean it up). Shapers are great tools....mine is a mainstay in my shop.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-14-2009, 01:38 AM

View Pinch Dog's Photo Album My Photos
shper

A shaper is the person using the router table and about 500 rpm

Last edited by Pinch Dog; 04-14-2009 at 02:25 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I remember reading, on another thread in thus forum, that the most injuries in woodworking come from the bandsaw. It stuck in my mind because I, and pretty well everyone else, consider the bandsaw as fairly benign. As stated, every piece of woodworking equipment comes with its own set of hazards. But ,in my humble opinion, the most dangerous item in any workshop is the loose nut at the operating end.

Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode