Shame - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
Shame

I feel like such a hack. I'm working on this framed cross for church that will have cork and fabric inside so people can hang little crosses in it. It was supposed to be an easy project, and is overdue - I keep getting funny looks from my priest!

Anyhow, I used 1"x3" oak and mitered the corners at 45 degrees. Some of the joints looked so bad I couldn't help but to go find the wood putty. I'm almost too ashamed to finish it and hang it on a wall at church.

I'm sure there are some guides out there for properly squaring up a miter saw, would someone please post a link to one?

I'll post pics of the cross soon, I just put some stain on it, and my fingers are too sticky to use the new camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 06:16 PM

View Just-a-Guy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00kemdano View Post
I feel like such a hack. I'm working on this framed cross for church that will have cork and fabric inside so people can hang little crosses in it. It was supposed to be an easy project, and is overdue - I keep getting funny looks from my priest!

Anyhow, I used 1"x3" oak and mitered the corners at 45 degrees. Some of the joints looked so bad I couldn't help but to go find the wood putty. I'm almost too ashamed to finish it and hang it on a wall at church.

I'm sure there are some guides out there for properly squaring up a miter saw, would someone please post a link to one?

I'll post pics of the cross soon, I just put some stain on it, and my fingers are too sticky to use the new camera.

I don't think God will fault you for imperfect mitre joints. You are doing His work. Be happy, and deliver it with your head held high.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just-a-Guy For This Useful Post:
Willie T (05-15-2010)
post #3 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
A plastic draftsman's angle and a hold down will help with the 45s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
For real, what Just-A-Guy said. If you believe that everything you do should be as if you're doing it for God, then go back to the basics and remember whom Jesus was most impressed with. Not the "perfectionists" but those who were simplest in nature.

To whom did He say

Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, even in Israel.

He isn't looking for perfection from you, just your best effort. Give it to Him and don't worry about what others may think. Especially your priest.

JMO
The Following User Says Thank You to TexasTimbers For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-23-2010)
post #5 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 06:34 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Miter saws are a heck of a lot more accurate that the old radial arm saws but unfortunately most miter saws are not that accurate either. For something like you are doing now, a shop made 45* jig would be in order and incredibly accurate. OK, so much for the future.
Back to your current dilemma. If your mitered corners are not way to much out of whack, you could get a hand saw and saw down the kerf line or make a fancy jig and go down the line with a small router bit. The sawing would make a small gap between the 2 right angle pieces. Use your table saw to make a thin slice of wood (either oak or contrasting wood) and use this slice as a filler. Chisel it flush and finish same at the other pieces. Essentially you are making a decorative plug to accent the joints.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #6 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 PM

View Colt W. Knight's Photo Album My Photos
I'll be honest, if something doesn't meet my approval, I won't take it out of the shop. You are making this to be displayed in the church, so I would be very picky about it. That is just me though.

If you continue to have trouble with the 45 angles, have you tried just some straight pieces, you can dado them so that they fit over one another to make a cross with not 45 angles.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Also.....

depending on the outside shape of the 'molding', you might find some really cool looking brass corner pieces to cover the whole thing.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #8 of 29 Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
i check my 45 deg cuts (table saw or any saw) by making a 45 degree cut in the middle of a straight board. then place the 2 cut surfaces together, they should form a 90 degree angle. using this method will double the error of the saw, making it easier in my opinion, to get it truer.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a calibration disc its much easier you can use a machinist square against the disc to adjust the fence without making the stock cut. Blade teeth always seem to get in the way.

Your MS has a fence that's bolted down. Set the blade at -0- and lock it. Take a piece of stock and rip it on your TS to ensure the long sides are parallel. Mark one side as fence and one side as front then set that side of the stock against the MS fence.

Make a square cut then rotate for example the right side section of the stock so the front is against the fence if both meet flush the cut is good. If the cut is open against the fence the blade is pointing to the right, if the front is open then it is pointing to the left.

If pointing to the right loosen all fence bolts minus far right bolt. Mark line at base of fence on MS table and gently tap left end of fence just enough to see move then tighten left bolt and retest until square. Its opposite for a cut open at the front.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Just remember that in the Gospel of Thomas, Jesus made a man blind for insulting his father's (Joseph's) carpentry work. So if anyone at your church looks unfavorably on your beautiful work, they may be smited!
post #11 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamwinner View Post
Just remember that in the Gospel of Thomas, Jesus made a man blind for insulting his father's (Joseph's) carpentry work. So if anyone at your church looks unfavorably on your beautiful work, they may be smited!
Really? I thought I had read all 114 of those sayings, but I sure must have missed that one. Can you tell me where to find it?
post #12 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 PM

View hancockj's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same thing going on. Making a gift for a friend and it sits uncompleted in the shop for months. I re-made those pieces at least five times. Still not good enough. Darn miters.

Jack
post #13 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 PM

View Colt W. Knight's Photo Album My Photos
I thought Jesus gave sight to the blind, not take it away from those who could see.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 PM

View mwhals's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight View Post
I thought Jesus gave sight to the blind, not take it away from those who could see.
That would certainly be true!
post #15 of 29 Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
I make my cuts on the tablesaw.I run the blade up hi and use an aluminum roof angle square to set the miter at 45 degrees,always comes out real nice.itchy
post #16 of 29 Old 04-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Really? I thought I had read all 114 of those sayings, but I sure must have missed that one. Can you tell me where to find it?
Start watching at 44:00. I said it was the Gospel of Thomas, but I was incorrect, it's the Infancy Gospel of Thomas.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2653729434420#
post #17 of 29 Old 04-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Streamwinner

I liked the "Board stretcher" part!

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video

Last edited by mdntrdr; 04-24-2010 at 07:18 PM.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-25-2010, 07:45 PM

View Waldo's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting 45s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
A plastic draftsman's angle and a hold down will help with the 45s.
I find most miter saws are not that accurate.
I took a drafting 45 deg. angle ( Big One 18" ) and painted it black. I put a hose clamp on the miter lock handle so I could move it at will. My saw has a laser and I just put the 45 angle on the bed,run the saw and move it so the laser line hits just the edge of the 45 angle from one end to the other and the tighten the handle to lock it in place. I find my 45s for picture frames turn out real good. Works for me. Waldo
post #19 of 29 Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamwinner View Post
Start watching at 44:00. I said it was the Gospel of Thomas, but I was incorrect, it's the Infancy Gospel of Thomas.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2653729434420#
Oh, "The Dime Store Novels". For a second I thought you might have been serious.
post #20 of 29 Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
I finally finished finishing that cross! Here are some pics. I used wood filler on the loose joints, and I think they cleaned up pretty well. Any woodworker who walks by it will surely notice. I also decided to enhance the corners with the Kehoe jig. I had to fill some of those, too! :D

Someday I won't be a novice.

Shame-img_0707.jpg
Shame-img_0708.jpg
Shame-img_0711.jpg
Name:  IMG_0705.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  31.8 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode