Shaker style cabinet doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By andr0id

post #1 of 12 Old 03-13-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Vbryanv

View Vbryanv's Photo Album My Photos
Shaker style cabinet doors

Making cabinet doors for my island that I renovated.. Eventually I and going to replace all my kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. But for now I am starting with the island. I have 4 doors to make and the are going to be painted light gray when I'm done. I'm using popular for the rails and styles and mortise tenon joints.. I plan to route a 1/4" dado for the panel insert.

What should I use for the insert?
I was going to use 1/4 plywood but since it is going to be painted is there something else I should use so I'm not fighting the grain showing through the paint or have to use a grain filler.. I read people use mdf. But my fear is it absorbing moisture since its in the kitchen.

Being happy is doing the things you love to do with the people you love to do them with.. Even if that someone is just you and a power tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would go ahead and use the 1/4" dado even though modern plywood is metric and about 7/32" thick. You can glue the panels in which will help the strength of the door. Then the gap left you can just caulk that before painting. You could use birch plywood. It paints well and is easily available.

Poplar and birch are woods that are tight grain so there is no need for a grain filler. That is better used on woods such as walnut and mahogany. Sometimes people grain fill oak however with oak it's generally acceptable to see the texture of the wood in the finish.

I would not use MDF in a kitchen. MDF is literally paper, the same kind of paper that grocery sacks are made out of. Being paper it reacts to being wet just like any other paper. It will swell up and disintegrate. MDF is a product better suited to make cabinets for commercial work like in stores where it is often covered with formica. In any case store fixtures are generally changed out every few years and really only considered for temporary use.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Junior

View andr0id's Photo Album My Photos
I don't like the 1/4" plywood. It makes the cabinet doors feel light and cheap.

I put a 1/4" rabbet on 1/2" plywood and flip it around so the back is flush with the stiles and rails. Makes for a sold cabinet door and the drawer pulls are through solid ply, not air.
Woodknack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Vbryanv

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr0id View Post

I put a 1/4" rabbet on 1/2" plywood and flip it around so the back is flush with the stiles and rails. Makes for a sold cabinet door and the drawer pulls are through solid ply, not air.
I kinda like that idea..

Being happy is doing the things you love to do with the people you love to do them with.. Even if that someone is just you and a power tool.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-2018, 09:38 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

That's exactly what I do, works very well. I use birch plywood and also use birch for the faceframes. Harder than poplar, more dent resistant. One other thing, lightly sand the plywood faces just to remove the fuzz, before assembly.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8510.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	348730  

post #6 of 12 Old 03-14-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Vbryanv

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Quote:

That's exactly what I do, works very well. I use birch plywood and also use birch for the faceframes. Harder than poplar, more dent resistant. One other thing, lightly sand the plywood faces just to remove the fuzz, before assembly.
Mike Hawkins
Can you take a picture of the backs?

What about joints. What do you do for the rails and styles... In the pics I can see the stiles have a tongue that goes in the rails. But does that interfere with the rabbit that you cut for the plywood back.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Junior

Here's the back and front of a prototype large drawer front I built.

I'm actually not going to use this method for my kitchen cabinets. I didn't like the mismatch between the maple veneer plywood and the maple hardwood. I'll be using glued up hardwood panels for those.

But I'll be building my master bedroom vanity like this since it's going to be painted.

The stile and rails are cut with the Freud 99-762 shaker panel set. You can probably get a cheaper shaker set if you're not going to need long tenons for doors with glass.

Hawk, it looks like your birch panels match pretty nicely. Does that stain up nicely?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180314_110032_HDR.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	348778  

Name:	20180314_110044_HDR.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	348786  

Last edited by andr0id; 03-14-2018 at 01:11 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Vbryanv

What I was planning to do is mortise tenon the rails and stiles. But will my 1/4 said interfere with my stile tenon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180310_221225_1521045817121.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	348794  

post #9 of 12 Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbryanv View Post
What I was planning to do is mortise tenon the rails and stiles. But will my 1/4 said interfere with my stile tenon
Your 1/4" slot down the middle of the rail will go right down the middle of your mortise. I don't think that should be a problem.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM

I do t have a pic of the back, but they look like the pic Android posted. I used a dado set on my table saw to cut the grooves in the rails and styles, also made the tenons with it too. These doors were finished in white conversion varnish. When your cutting this many pieces, the dado set made quick and easy work out of it.
Mike Hawkins
post #11 of 12 Old 03-20-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Vbryanv

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
I do t have a pic of the back, but they look like the pic Android posted. I used a dado set on my table saw to cut the grooves in the rails and styles, also made the tenons with it too. These doors were finished in white conversion varnish. When your cutting this many pieces, the dado set made quick and easy work out of it.
Mike Hawkins
So..... I guess if using my router to Cut the dado on the rail and styles for the 1/2 inch plywood panel I would use a 1/4 inch straight cut but and use the plywood to set up the fence.. Macking the bit flush with the end of the plywood? Is that how you would do it

post #12 of 12 Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbryanv View Post
So..... I guess if using my router to Cut the dado on the rail and styles for the 1/2 inch plywood panel I would use a 1/4 inch straight cut but and use the plywood to set up the fence.. Macking the bit flush with the end of the plywood? Is that how you would do it
You could do that, but I would do the rails and styles first, then take some plywood scraps and make some test cuts with the router and check the fit between the plywood and the groove in your rails and styles. Plywood is a bit undersized so you may not end up with your 1/4" bit flush with it. You don't want a sloppy fit, don't want it where you have to pound it in either.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode