Selling House Now What? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 2 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 11 Old 04-24-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

View believebraves's Photo Album My Photos
Selling House Now What?

Evening guys and gals! I need an opinion or maybe a "what I did" for this situation.

My wife and I are fixing to list our house up for sell. As the market is real strong in our area it will be listed for top end $ for the house size. Which will probably slow the sell down.

My question is. What do I do with my 14x30 shop in my basement? I have one finished game room, 3 unfinished rooms, and my finished shop.
My shop stay "fairly" organized, but it is packed wall to wall with big machinery. Powermatic 66, old 48" lathe, routers, band saw, Miter saw, RAS and all shelves, lumber rack (OVERSIZED AND HUGE, and cabinets are packed full of stuff. Needless to say it would probably be a major eye sore to anyone potentially buying my house that is not a WW or into tools.... Plus it is like my man cave and have the walls covered in varies items and signs.

Would you go ahead and move it out and hope it sells or just keep it clean and try and sell it fully functional. I have some projects I need to be working on so it would definitely be "used" while I'm trying to sell. Thought about renting a garage some where for the time being but just DREAD a move, again! Ugh!!

Have any of you sold your house with a basement shop?? How did it go?

I can provide pictures in the morning if that would help?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 02:18 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Might be a good sales point. I had the residue in my garage cleared for free by a dealer.
johnep
post #3 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 06:18 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Depends on the neighborhood you live in. Some places in my area the realtor won't list the house unless they come in and stage the house. You could find yourself having to move the shop into storage and re-purpose the room. Start with the realtor and see what happens. Maybe while it's listed you will only have to keep the shop very clean and organized.
new2woodwrk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 07:21 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Why not just keep using it until the house sells. Keep it clean for good presentation. If the new owner will pay a decent price for it then leave it. If not then move it with the rest of your belongings.

Seems sort of logical to me.

George
sweensdv and sawdust703 like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 07:54 AM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
My garage/shop was pretty tight in the last house we sold. To ready it for sale I got rid of of everything I didn't use or was broken (should have done that way sooner) and any material that was easily or cheaply replaced. Took down posters that some might find offensive and put away a couple of the neon signs that needed repair. Cleaned every piece of equipment, tool (even stock and material) and put new hardboard on the workbench top. Pressure washed the floor, painted the walls and ceiling white, clean the lights, replaced all the florescent bulbs.

The realtor would bring potential buyers into the house by way of the garage... so it must have been OK. We had a pretty good idea what the house was worth but listed it well over that price while our new home was being build. We had offers but none high enough to make it worth moving out before we were ready. When the new house was finished we dropped the price and it sold that week.

My backup plan was to buy a 30' equipment trailer to load everything into until the house was sold and sell it when I was done.
The Following User Says Thank You to regesullivan For This Useful Post:
believebraves (04-25-2016)
post #6 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 09:31 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
agree with above. thin out the bad or unneeded stuff and clutter.

your best bang for your time is to go around and make your house otherwise perfect in every way possible. fix everything that needs attention! buyers love a perfect house.

I did that at my last house, and had people fighting over it, got $8k more than the already high end asking price.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Why dont you just advertise it on here in the classifieds and be done with it.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #8 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

View believebraves's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the insight. My initial plan is to list it as it is and try and keep the shop as clean and dust free in the process, or at least clean up after using...

I am definitely open to the idea of selling it with the house, but I doubt someone will pay me what I think it is worth! Haha

Good news is my M-I-L is the real estate agent listing for us, so we are not concerned with requirements from the seller. I was just see if any of you all had any luck selling your house with a shop. I didn't know if the general public that buys there crap at IKEA would be turned off from buying a house with a "workshop." But it sounds like yall have had luck with cleaning up, cleaning out, and keeping it clean!
post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 05:16 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
14 X 30 is not very big. I cant think of a better way to make it look a lot smaller than the clutter of a shop.
Catering to a woodworker buyer is catering to a very small percentage of the buying population. I think it could hinder your sale.
If I were you I would start selling off immediately, otherwise you will be virtually giving your stuff away just to get rid of it on short notice.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2016, 05:24 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
My recommendation is keep the shop up, working and clean - it shows the size of the basement and the possibilities.

However, make sure your agent knows the equipment you want to take is NOT part of the sale, this is very important.

Unless of course you want to sell some so you don't have to move it. In which case make sure your agent knows that as well.

I for example, will be offering my table saw as an extra with my house - if they want to buy it great, I'll buy another for the new house - if not, the movers will bring my saw to me cause I'm not moving the thing - it's freaking heavy LOL!
post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 AM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
Having your M-I-L or a close friend for your realtor could be a mixed blessing. Being so familiar with the house they might be looking at it with the same "eyes" you are. It's hard to be objective in your own house. Look around and you might not even notice the rust on lentels over the (outside) garage doors or a very light brown spray stain on the ceiling in the kitchen for opening a Coke, the uneven light from different color florescent bulbs in the array in the shop or garage, mud left on a basemen support beam from 35 years ago when the house was built, a stain on on the floor from the previous water heater. Check under each sink to make sure there are no drips and cover any places where water dripped and ruined the finish. These are just some of the things my realtor pointed out to me that I did not "see". Fiends and family all said things like "your house is perfect" or "it doesn't even need cleaned" or "everything looks brand new".

You are lucky to have a trusted loved one for a realtor so I'm not saying find another realtor but make very sure you are being especially objective because you AND your realtor are in complacent in the home. Try to look at it as the average buyer, not the handy man I can fix anything buyer as they are few and far between when you are listing at top dollar.

I wish you the best of luck your selling your home.
The Following User Says Thank You to regesullivan For This Useful Post:
believebraves (04-26-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode