sell or keep?! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

View FTWingRiders's Photo Album My Photos
sell or keep?!

Hello all,

setting up a shop and bought a new grizzly G0691 table saw. Love it!!
Now wondering do I keep my contractors saw. I have a Makita 2703 with the makita porta table, which has been a great combo. It was my dads, and passed to me 10 years ago.

Still looks new and cuts straight.

Do I need two? Sure there might be an odd job off site where I might use it..(Like.. Maybe never).. So do I let it sit taking up space, or sell for a decent coin for my pocket. Today on Amazon the set is just shy of $1000...

There is a definitely sentimental value involved.. Not sure if they still are, but these are marked "made in the USA" which means a lot to me too.

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 11:05 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
sell or keep?!

I would sell it, but only you can value the sentimental value. I would rather have another tool instead of keeping 2 table saws. It might be nice to keep a crosscut blade in it, and a rip blade in the other.

Last edited by hwebb99; 03-19-2015 at 11:08 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
The problem is with such a small table front to back, it's not ideal for a crosscut saw.....and I can't see wanting to rip with it while there's a big saw over there.....same with dado's.....

Sadly unless you need a portable saw, I don't see much use in keeping it.

But.....you have to put the sentimental value on it...

The tools don't make the craftsman....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a 10" 02, used it every day at work PT mahog fir trim pine, it was and still is a good jobsite saw. If you do work out side or at jobsites and there's nothing wrong with it I'd keep it.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #5 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 01:39 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Do you want us to say it's alright for you to sell your fathers saw. Can't do it, you will have to decide that. My personal opinion is if you have the room and don't need the money keep it. You can always sell it later.

Don
post #6 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Depends on your needs. If you have the shop space, I'd keep it. Set it up for a dedicated task, like if you work with a lot of plywwod keep a dado stack in it set perfectly for ply. If you need the money or are short on space, sell it. Or donate it

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A lot depends on if you have the space whether to keep it or not. Sometimes you can have your saw set up with a dado blade and discover you need another piece and the other saw would give you the means of doing that without breaking down the dado to do it.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 07:20 AM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Odds are good you'll come across a couple hundred dollars again in your lifetime. The saw is irreplaceable. Keep it if you have the space, and don;t need the money badly.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 08:46 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I had the exact same saw when in business, same set up, I loved that saw. After retiring, my shop is now much smaller and space is limited. I also have a Unisaw which I plan to sell and buy another saw similar to the one you have because I no longer need the large saw. I wish I had kept the little saw it would be just what I need now. I say keep it.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with keeping it if you have space, don't need the money and still holds true when cutting.
If you can use it as a dedicated workstation say with a small sled you might be glad you kept it.
Your dad may have a smile on his face seeing his ok' saw still being used.

My father in law gave me his pipe threader and dies twenty years ago that were from his father. These have to be from 1930. They are now so dull they couldn't thread a hot dog.
I had them out while I was threading pipe with my Rigid set and just use the die as a hand held to clean the threads of burrs. My father in law still tells me the stories of what he did with them when he used them.
He's 87 and didn't even notice I thread with a different set but still "use" his. Makes him proud.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 11:07 AM

View Dovetails's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like you've already replaced the saw. An inanimate object has no feelings, the feelings felt are yours alone.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 12:15 PM

View TrevortdogR's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
depends on your needs. If you have the shop space, i'd keep it. Set it up for a dedicated task, like if you work with a lot of plywwod keep a dado stack in it set perfectly for ply. If you need the money or are short on space, sell it. Or donate it
ditto!
post #13 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 12:17 PM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
I've had things given to me that I eventually replaced by something that suited my needs better. I try to make a point of passing it on to someone else in need. I guess it's my version of "pay it forward".
post #14 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 12:40 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes my table saw doubles as a work station. It seems my work benches are always full of what ever. Just a thought.

Don
post #15 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Done the same thing regesullivan,

When I bought the Delta 953 I didn't have the room for the Craftsman, my BIL was always asking for something cut so I gave it to him, I later gave him my small PC compressor when I bought the Mak5200, I sort of regret that one its smaller than the Mak and fine for brad and pin nailers.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #16 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

View FTWingRiders's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all your input!

It's funny, never thought twice about it before. Heck I had to dig the table out of the shed, got it cleaned up and took the pictures to post to CL, then it kind of hit me how much I miss the old guy...

I hadn't realized he's been 10 years gone.. He was a little crusty around the edges, but boy At 86 and legally Blind he could still put me to shame with the amount, and quality of work he would do. I guess I feel I didn't take the time to learn all I could have from him, then when I put the saw together I could suddenly remember him standing in front of it working away.

Like it was said, you can't put a sentimental value on something, but to just keep it doesn't make much sense either..lol. Maybe I'll hold on to it for a while...
The Following User Says Thank You to FTWingRiders For This Useful Post:
notskot (03-21-2015)
post #17 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 05:08 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
I agree that if you have the space keep it for the time being. Even if you never do any jobsite work again just having two TS's in the shop would be convenient. Just ask Woodnthings, two TS's are better than one, and three's even better.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
If you have the space you can match the table heights and bridge between them to make a larger cutting and work area. Seen that done a few time already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode