Seal wood with shellac before applying paint primer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

View Tom Lilletveit's Photo Album My Photos
Seal wood with shellac before applying paint primer

As title says, can this be done? my piece got some minor imperfections which i thought Id even out with shellac and sandpaper. I got the Liberon easy french polish which got about 20 sec open time before it evaporates. In this time i could sand over the wood quickly to fill any scratches, and later go over it with pumice.

I dont know if the Liberon got wax in it, but if it has I can just put it through a coffee filter to get rid of it?

Alternatively i could use boiled linseed oil, by applying a coat then anonther and wet sand it ...

Any idea? will a spray paint primer stick to any of these two? I thought it was safer to go with shellac as it hardens in a day unlike oil finishes.

The primer im using is a matt white acrylic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-25-2018, 10:31 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Your message is confusing to me. You start by describing a clear finish and end by describing a painted finish. If you plan to paint the piece, there is no need for French Polish or Shellac.
Shellac is used as a sealer in many cases, but paint is a sealer unless you have something you are concerned with color bleed-through. Color (especially darker colors) can lift and bleed through a light colored paint over time. This could be from old stains, inks, magic markers etc. A primer coat of Kilz will seal prior to your final paint color and prevent bleed-through.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-25-2018, 10:38 PM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
Or BIN primer. It's shellac based.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-25-2018, 11:08 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Shellac is alright under an oil based primer but not latex. Shellac itself has a natural wax in it that latex won't adhere to. You could use a de-waxed shellac such as zinsser sealcoat and put latex over the top. The simplest thing you could do is use a shellac based primer such as BIN like t.carpenter suggested. Two birds with one stone.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-26-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

View Tom Lilletveit's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Your message is confusing to me. You start by describing a clear finish and end by describing a painted finish. If you plan to paint the piece, there is no need for French Polish or Shellac.
Shellac is used as a sealer in many cases, but paint is a sealer unless you have something you are concerned with color bleed-through. Color (especially darker colors) can lift and bleed through a light colored paint over time. This could be from old stains, inks, magic markers etc. A primer coat of Kilz will seal prior to your final paint color and prevent bleed-through.

I am applying the coat of shellac under the primer as a precaution to remove any blemishes before putting out the primer. French polish is just the name of the brand of shellac.

Last edited by Tom Lilletveit; 07-26-2018 at 06:10 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-27-2018, 11:53 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
I use Sealcoat dewaxed shellac before applying a water based finish on wood. The shellac sticks well to most substrates and most finishes adhere well to dewaxed shellac.

Sealcoat is ready to apply (no dilution required). I get it at Lowes.

BIN primer has a shellac base and it is good for use under paints.

Shellac is excellent for sealing knots. It is also excellent for sealing odors. It is not recommended for outdoor use. It dries in 20 minutes and requires good ventilation while applying it.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-27-2018, 02:35 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
I am having a problem with some paints I am trying on turned Sycamore items. friction polish and wipe on varnish seem to go great. But I tried painting with Rustoleum water based house pain and the finish was all blotchy and uneven. But when I paint the wood with red ink and then wipe on poly it looks great. I have also tried the hobby/craft paints (cheap little tubes) from Walmart ad they cover better and smoother than the Rustoleum. So far I have been using a brush. Or cloth to apply the finish. I just acquired an air brush and might experiment with that. I have about 150 small items to paint.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-05-2018, 03:24 PM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
If I am painting wood and there are knots or other blemishes I prime with Zinzer or other similar shellac based primer. It works great to stop bleed through over time. It comes in an oil or water base form.

Saw Dust Rules

“In God we trust. All others bring data.” - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode