scroll saw and band saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenbo

post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

View crookedkut's Photo Album My Photos
scroll saw and band saw

It looks like both can do similar work. What is the major difference between a scroll saw and a band saw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-25-2018, 09:31 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Well let's put this in a nutshell.....A scroll saw has the capability to cut very intricate pieces but is limited to a certain thickness of stock. While most manufacturers will boast a 2" thick cutting capacity, I have yet to see one that will actually cut 2" thick stock without suffering serious blade deflection. A band saw however, can cut much thicker stock than a scroll saw but it cannot cut the detail and intricate work that a scroll saw is capable of.

Bandsaw. Thicker stock and less detail

Scrollsaw. Thinner stock a greater detail.
difalkner likes this.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 7 Old 03-25-2018, 10:03 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
A bandsaw can re-saw a thick board into thinner boards. A scroll saw can't.

A scroll saw blade can be threaded through a hole to make inside cuts. A bandsaw blade is a continuous loop, so it won't work the same way. You can cut in from the outside with a bandsaw, then slide the blade out, and finally glue the thin gap back together. Because the bandsaw has such a thin kerf, the glued cut can be nearly invisible.

Both saws cut curves, but the scroll saw seems better suited for intricate, delicate, detailed work. Both saws can cut your fingers, too. I imagine that a scroll saw is safer, but they are both generally considered much safer than a table saw.

(I was taught that bandsaws got their start in the meat industry. According to my bandsaw expert friend, bandsaws are always trying to get back to their roots when they see your fingers, so be careful!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Ken is the guru of scroll saw guys, for sure, and I don't think I've ever seen a scroll saw cut anything very thick unless it's Styrofoam or Balsa wood. One other difference is that you can take the blade off the scroll saw and insert it into the inner portion of a cut without having to cut from the outside. So if you want to cut a circle out of a piece of wood and leave the outside intact then a scroll saw is the tool you'll need. I probably didn't explain that very good and don't have any photos handy... sorry.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2018, 10:09 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
A scrollsaw can do pierced cuts where you pass the scrollsaw blade through a hole and the reconnect the blade to the holder on the scrollsaw arm. can't do that with a band saw.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2018, 10:47 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
They are two different machines, scroll saw do the intricate cuts, bandsaws do the heavy work, neither does the job of the other very well.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 7 Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

View crookedkut's Photo Album My Photos
Okay I got ya. I guess I would go for the band saw. I see myself using that more

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode