A 'screw'y question... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

View DaveKub's Photo Album My Photos
Question A 'screw'y question...

Good morning! I'm new to both this forum and to woodworking. I haven't built anything since I was a kid (I'm mid-40's now). I've recently gotten interested in trying my hand at building stuff out of wood. So I've got a really 'newbie' kind of question...

I decided to build an outside planter-box from plans in a book. So, I made a parts list and went shopping. I'm having a hard time finding the screws! It calls for #6x2" and #6x2.5" galvanized flathead wood screws. This is an old book; has terminology/products changed? Or am I just not looking in the right places? I've looked at Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and True Value. Came close at True Value! They had boxes of screws labeled as 'galvanized flathead wood screws', but nothing smaller than #9. Is there some other type of screw I can use in place of galvanized? Alot of the lumber in the project is pressure-treated.

Thanks!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Not so new

View 12penny's Photo Album My Photos
Dave...screws have come a long way. Deck screws arent galvanized anymore, but have a ceramic coating. The problem will be getting a #6. As you pointed out most are #9. They should be fine to use though you may need to predrill because of the larger diameter.

You could also try stainless steel screws. SS trim screws are smaller in diameter and come in a few different lengths.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM

View verdesardog's Photo Album My Photos
What? There are #6 screws everwhere....black, galvanized, coated, philips head, square head, just about anything you can think of is available. But they are not typically called wood screws today, either construction screws or dry wall screws.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post
What? There are #6 screws everwhere....black, galvanized, coated, philips head, square head, just about anything you can think of is available. But they are not typically called wood screws today, either construction screws or dry wall screws.
He is looking for galvanized screws (like deck screws). Stainless will also work if that style screw comes in those lengths and are #6. IMO, for those lengths #6 seems too puny.

post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I just built a raised-bed planter, and I found that stainless deck screws were easiest to find. I also made it out of cedar decking, so the screws seemed appropriate.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post
I wouldn't think drywall screws would work since this is for an outdoor application. And I haven't been able to find any #6 screws in the lengths I mentioned at all.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone! At least I know it's not just 'me' when I can't find #6x2 galvanized screws! I'll just get some thicker screws in the lengths I need and/or look for SS screws.

Thanks again!

Dave
post #9 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Try this place. If they don't have the size you're looking for, you probably don't need it.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #10 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Try this place. If they don't have the size you're looking for, you probably don't need it.
Ummm... try what place? A link seems to be missing from your message...

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode