screwed up got paint on polyacrylic top. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

View Carol Hemmelgarn's Photo Album My Photos
screwed up got paint on polyacrylic top.

I stained a table top. Then used poly acrylic to finish. When painting rest of table I screwed up and got paint on the top.. How can I remove it without affecting the poly? Please help.
This is a hickory table top stained a dark brown. I had to use a wood dye to get the color.
Am I gonna have to redo the top after removing the paint. Used goo off but the poly has dulled. My husband actually did the top and he is not gonna be happy. The wood dye started to come up some when using the dye but looks ok. Can I just put polyurethane over the poly if I can get the paint off?
HELP PLESAE!

Last edited by Carol Hemmelgarn; 08-07-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 04:46 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There isn't a way not to damage the poly if the paint has dried. It would help to say what to do next if we knew what kind of paint you used and how was it applied. Also how long has it been since the polycrylic was applied.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Poly was applied 30 days ago. Latex paint with a brush but just smears. Should have protected whole top instead of just edges. What should I do next. Wish I could go back in time. I would have used polyurethane. I know I can get paint off of that.

Last edited by Carol Hemmelgarn; 08-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM

If the latex paint is remotely still wet it can be washed off with a rag wet with water.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM

I'm not understanding some of what you said in post 3. If you put polycrylic on the base of the table and then trying to paint with latex, that won't work. You would either have to use an oil based paint or an oil based primer first. Latex won't adhere to polycrylic.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Red face

No sorry. The table top has poly. The rest of the table is latex.
I took soap and water and scrubbed with a rag and a putty knife. Wrapped putty knife in rag the was able to get most of it off.

There are some light marks and some scratches. I hope can sand lightly and re-poly and should be fine.

If I sand lightly could I use oil based polyurethane or should I just stay with the poly acrylic.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Hemmelgarn View Post
No sorry. The table top has poly. The rest of the table is latex.
I took soap and water and scrubbed with a rag and a putty knife. Wrapped putty knife in rag the was able to get most of it off.

There are some light marks and some scratches. I hope can sand lightly and re-poly and should be fine.

If I sand lightly could I use oil based polyurethane or should I just stay with the poly acrylic.
What I would do is pick the remainder of the paint off with my fingernail. Then scuff sand the entire surface with 220 grit paper and put another coat of polycrylic on. That should take care of the scuff marks.

I know it's too late now but if you had found the white paint while you were applying the white paint it would have easily washed off.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 11:37 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I had some butcher get latex on my lacquered cabinets. Years later when getting the house painted, the painter told me to just us a wet rag and some elbow grease. Worked fine.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #9 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 07:36 AM

View Bordeogstole's Photo Album My Photos
Using your nail to remove the last bit, then sanding it down and lastly giving it a new layer of polycrylic, seems to me as a good idea.

Hope it works out for you, and that you get your tabletop fixed, and that your husband doesn't get too mad at you.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Got another question..
When cleaning up paint I got to much water and wood swelled. A little better since it has dried up but am concerned about in the future.

So was wondering if I can recoat this table top with polyurethane. What would I have to do to the polycrylic to get the polyurethane to adhere. Anything? Sand with 220 grit then polyurethane?
I want this top to be water resistant.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 09:59 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, a light sanding is necessary.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-20-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Help again. You all are gonna believe this because these things happen but . . .

So got table tops fixed. Sanded, then my husband put polyurethane on them. Look good. I was applying felt on leg bottoms and OMG, when my husband put the Polyurethane coating we wiped off underneath table top and got a light coating and some drips on the white table legs, now yellowed. My turn to be mad at him.

Any suggestions. I have Minwax Polyacrylic on the white latex paint which is now under the polyurethane yellow spots. Need to remove the yellow polyurethane.

Of course would like to sand drips and yellowing then recoat with polyacrylic if paint not damaged. Any ideas how I would best remove the polyurethane without damaging the latex paint to much?

Then If that won't work what do I need to do to just touch-up the latex paint to cover the yellowing and then re apply minwax polyacrylic.

Boy this sucks. But learning so much. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode