Scrap wood - any value - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

View SpringWind's Photo Album My Photos
Scrap wood - any value

I have the dubious distinction of disposing of a pile of wood collected and saved for eventual use. The wood was scrap wood from a remodeling project done by a neighbor. We collected the scrap thrown out with the intention of using it for something or other...projects that would one day be identified.

I now have to remove all of the wood because of code enforcement demands. Storing it somewhere else is not an option; there isn't an inch of storage left in any of the storage sheds. They're all full.

The scrap contains some particle board and some wood, some 4 x 4's, some small chunks. It's been outside under a tarp for about 4 years.

Some of the particle board is beginning to separate; other pieces of wood which have had more exposure to the elements have turned grey and begun to split.

I hate to throw wood away and am wondering if there's any real value to a woodworker. If so, I'll contact local clubs to see if I can find someone who's interested. If not, well, unfortunately the wood is destined for pick up by a junk hauler.

The garbage service won't take it b/c of the possibility it might be treated wood. Even then, their pickup costs are quite high.

Any suggestions on whether this wood could be used by someone willing to do some work just to find the remaining good parts would be suggested.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-21-2016, 05:56 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I'd bet if you put a picture of it on Craigslist with a free, come get it posting, it'll be gone in no time flat.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 10 Old 05-21-2016, 07:27 PM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
It's useless. It sounds like it's not even good for firewood. (Bare wood is the only thing safe to burn.)

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-21-2016, 09:21 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Rent a dumpster------

Construction lumber gets warped and twisted if stored outside----You need to dispose of it.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-21-2016, 09:34 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
It sounds pretty useless. Is it possible to burn it? If not do you have a truck?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-10-2018, 04:17 PM

View The Colonel's Photo Album My Photos
Your heart's in the right place, trying to re-purpose and save the environ and all that...
but it looks like you should just let this one go. If the stuff had not been exposed to the weather it might have a use for someone and getting the word out would probably benefit someone. Partical board and MDF and other "WAS-WOODS"
don't fare well in moisture situations for very long. Even though my Pop always said "If a shop vac won't pick it up...it ain't scrap!": sounds like this stuff needs to go to keep you outa trouble with the system.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-10-2018, 06:14 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with Ryan50hrl,

Put a "free for the taking" ad on Craigslist and see what happens. The only concern might be if someone comes and takes part of it and makes a mess of the rest.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I'm going to bet after over 2 years(this is an old thread) that the OP has already resolved this issue...

AND considering his last visit here was over 2 years ago, I'm gong to bet he doesn't care.

Good job resurrecting an OLD, and rightfully dead thread though.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-11-2018, 12:43 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same problem, so this thread is relevant, at least to me.

I have had a bunch of construction wood under an outside tarp for years. I find uses for it. Often a small piece serves as a sacrificial board for the drill or to prevent tear out.

Sometimes it gets used for practice. Recently I used some of it to practice making coves and beads on my new-to-me lathe. Crappy softwood like that is perfect for a beginning turner like me.

Sometimes it gets used to make jigs. Sometimes it gets used for prototypes to try out a new joint or jig or whatever.

I won't use pressure treated lumber for woodworking, but sometimes there is an outdoor use for it.

Sometimes the outside construction wood gets too old and doesn't make it. The plywood generally doesn't hold up for long. I try to find a use for all the scraps, but when wood is no longer useable, I cut it up and add it to the outgoing trash. Burning it isn't practical for me.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2018, 04:57 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I too have a scrap collection of bits and pieces. Very useful when wanting just a small piece of wood for a job. Any that I do throw out goes in my son's wood burning stove.
johnep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode