school me on endgrain cutting boards - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

View tito5's Photo Album My Photos
school me on endgrain cutting boards

So I see a lot of posts especially in the pics section of endgrain cutting boards. and they look like it would be a fun challenge to tackle, not to mention something small for me to work on. Also these would be a great holiday gift idea for my wife, mom, and mother-in-law.
but other then the pics I know nothing about how to make one, so some questions off the top of my head are
what wood to use, typical sizes HxWxL, any make sure you do this or don't do this tips, what type of finish to use, what tools are used or must have in making of a cutting board.
Also I would be interested to konw what the typical cost of materials is for one. I know this can very depending on type of wood and size, but I am just looking for a general idea.
thanks!
Tito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM

View jaxonquad's Photo Album My Photos
Im on my phone so I can't really post a link...on youtube search "the wood whisperer cutting board"
Marc (don't make me spell his last name! ) has a detailed 2 part video on the wood choices, benefits, and basic design of endgrain cutting boards.

Also search on this forum for "cutting board software" there is a link to help you get your design (once you've watched the video it will make more sense ) and it even tells you how many BF you will need (and how much waste you will have to sawdust )
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 05:43 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if you can get your hands on it but Wood magazine put out a publication in 2010 called" Best Ever Woodworking Projects & Shop Tips". It has everything you need to know on how to make end grain cutting boards.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
I started giving them for presents. Now the requests keep pouring in (of course they want them free, but it does take some time). I usually only use "scrap" wood (mine are usually cherry and maple). Tight grained wood is the best.

Jaxon is right on. Follow the instructions he talks about. A jointer makes them much easier. A planer... even easier.
The key is a good joint. A good joint, lots of tight bond 2 or 3, and nice color changes will make your boards better than "store bought". Good luck!
Dave
post #5 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 PM

View mike65072's Photo Album My Photos
They are definitely fun to make..almost addictive. After the first one you keep wanting to try different designs. I used mostly cherry, maple and walnut because thats what I had and the local hardwood dealer sells "shorts" for a reasonable price. I never really figured the price because there are so many variables, but I'd guess around $10-$25 ea. The pieces need to fit perfectly together (no gaps) so a jointer or properly set up table is necessary. Titebond III and lotsa clamps. As far as size goes, it's up to you. I make mine 1" - 1 1/4" thick and all different lenghs and widths. Some people say not to run an end grain cutting board thru a planer because the wood can split and/or tear-out. Probably good advice, I've done it...just take small bites at a time. Belt sanding is probably the best/safest. I finish mine with warm mineral oil with some wax melted in the mixture. Here's a pic of a few christmas presents I made 2 years ago... Good luck.

post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM

View whatalesyou1's Photo Album My Photos
How-to video

Cutting board design software

I found a local cabinet shop that was willing to run my boards through their wide belt sander after the second glue up. That helped tremendously!

Good luck! Be sure to post pictures after you get a board built.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the info and keep it coming....I watch the wood whisperer videos last night and they wer every helpful. whatalesyou1- that software looks neat.
so what does everyone use to finish? from the video there are a few options.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
You got a lot of good advice already! I was going to reinforce what was mentioned about using Titebond 3 as it's waterproof. Also, there are a variety of finishes available, food safe mineral oil probably being the easiest and cheapest, but does require occasional re-application.

Another thing: Make and end-grain cutting boards all end-grain. Don't border it with side or edge-grain. The difference in wood expansion can cause cracking and ruin the board.

Like Mike, I've run end-grain through my planer, though many recommend against that. I did like Mike did and took little (1/128") cuts and stood well to the side. Glue a sacrificial edge to the back of the board as it WILL chip. I've heard horror stories about cutting boards exploding in the planer and wrecking the machine so proceed with caution on this technique.

Bill
post #9 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 12:15 PM

View jaxonquad's Photo Album My Photos
Im using "howard's butcher block conditioner " right now. Its bees/ carnuba waxes & mineral oil. Its easy to apply (rub it in warm, then buff it after it drys ) and it doesn't leave that poly smell, like the watco bb oil I was using.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-19-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

well I don't have a plainer/joiner yet, so that won't be an issue!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode