• 1 Post By johnep
  • 1 Post By gj13us
  • 1 Post By Tony B
  • 2 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 20 Old 02-09-2020, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
SawDustMan

View G.Stout*'s Photo Album My Photos
Scarf, Butt Joint or...

Howdy Yall. In a month or so Im gonna be neck deep in a stitch & glue duck hunting boat build. I will need to join two pieces of 4x8 marine grade plywood on the 4 ends to make the finished piece 16 long.

I could do a butt joint, or, I can scarf em (8-1), or...whats to keep me from doing a dovetail on both pieces and snap em together like a jigsaw puzzle? That would make a secure joint and it would increase the glue area.

Thoughts????

Strength & Honor

Strength & Honor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-09-2020, 08:22 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
On boat building, a scarf joint is usually a 10 or 12 to one slope. You will not get the same strength from a dovetail.
If you go with a butt joint, it is necessary to glue or epoxy a backing board to hold the 2 pieces in line as well as together. I never tried a stitch and glue boat, it looks like it would be fun.

If you tell us what town/state you are in we might be able to help you find lumber and fasteners.

Are you building from plans or are you winging it? If by plans who's? I have built several boats from Glen-L plans and a small pram from my own plans. Funny story goes with that. Many, many years ago.
NoThankyou and G.Stout* like this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 02-09-2020 at 08:29 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-09-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
SawDustMan

Thanks Tony. Ive two boat plans from Clark Craft and one from Glen -L. The stitch & glue duck boat first in the queue is called the Black Brant. You are correct, I was mistaken. The scarf is a 12-1. I live in Fabius, Alabama, which is in the NE corner of Alabama. Im an hour from Chattanooga, TN and 1.5 hours from Huntsville, Alabama.

Strength & Honor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 AM

I never used Clark Craft because I was so happy with Glen-L.
Going back around 30 to 35 years ago, their customer service was excellent. I'm sure it still is today because cust. svc is everything when building a boat.
I also used nothing but West System Epoxy By the Gougeon Brothers somewhere up north but readily available in areas where there are marinas. It is an excellent product. They too have excellent customer service. I used to have their videos which were excellent with a capital E. Their products come in very handy in woodworking and furniture repair. Read all of the labels and info on their website very carefully. Tons of info packed into it.
Have fun with your build If I can help, just holler. Not sure how much help I will be, it's been a long time. If I dont remember something, I will say so. I wont lead you down the wrong path.
Take lots of photos and post them on here as you go along. I'm sure there are several other boat building projects going on right now also. One currently in progress is by @faith michel. He is building a sailboat
G.Stout* likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #5 of 20 Old 02-12-2020, 04:32 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
In my search for boat building links for Absolutely Free Plans, one of the sites had this signature:

"Boats float, no need to re-invent any wheels"
G.Stout* likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #6 of 20 Old 02-12-2020, 04:43 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's hard to beat a half lap .....

Make equal size rabbets on opposing sides of each 48" end and glue them with waterproof glue:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LAAQ...dDbGljaz10cnVl

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 20 Old 02-12-2020, 06:01 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Here’s a tool specially made to cut scarf joints in plywood for stitch and glue.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=4378
post #8 of 20 Old 02-12-2020, 07:58 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That link is incomplete ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Here’s a tool specially made to cut scarf joints in plywood for stitch and glue.

It will not show the enlarged version of the tool. Can't get it to do anything else.....?

Ok, I found this, a better link:

G.Stout* likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-12-2020 at 08:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
G.Stout* (02-13-2020)
post #9 of 20 Old 02-12-2020, 11:41 PM

I'm not sure if you would get a smooth curve when bending a lap joint. I think the 2 faces glued would be a little stiff because the glue would not have much give to it as compared to a single long piece of wood.
Two pieces glued along side each other, long grain to long grain, with a 12 to 1 slope angle pretty much acts as a normal long grain to long grain edge glue up with all the properties of a single board. Also, if a lap joint would work as good or better, I'm sure the scarf joint would never had been invented.
Especially if you had to make an emergency repair in rough seas. I have seen sailboat masts glued with scarf joints and they bend and flex under quite a bit of strain.

I would only use epoxy on the exterior of a wooden boat. I would however, use a water resistant glue on the interior. There is a definite accepted criteria for using the term "water proof" and I dont think Titebond meets that criteria. It pertains to submerging something to a certain depth for a certain period of time with no measurable affect. It's easy enough to look up. My internet is way to slow tonite for me to even think about looking it up. Im happy to just be able to get on here
G.Stout* likes this.

Tony B

The Following User Says Thank You to Tony B For This Useful Post:
G.Stout* (02-13-2020)
post #10 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 12:57 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Regardless of which you choose, fiber-glass the boat.
Tony B and G.Stout* like this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
The Following User Says Thank You to NoThankyou For This Useful Post:
G.Stout* (02-13-2020)
post #11 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 06:05 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
We built a small boat with half deck out of masonite. My father made the oars from wood available at the time (just after the war).
He used two short lengths joined by an Araldite glued scarf reinforced by copper nails. never gave us any trouble.
We made other boats the same way. I will look out some pics for you.
johnep
G.Stout* likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 06:39 AM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Make equal size rabbets on opposing sides of each 48" end and glue them with waterproof glue:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LAAQ...dDbGljaz10cnVl

On no account should you do this.Chances are the plywood will split when bent to shape.

The original question was scarf or butt and both of those are well tried and sound solutions.In fact both of them are permitted by Lloyds register of shipping while no other joint form is.Of the two,scarfing is a little more time consuming but the easier solution as far as keeping the inside of the boat uncluttered.Butt blocks can make it hard to keep the boat drained and they impede glassing the inside joints and painting.

Some CNC cut kits come with interlocking puzzle joints but this won't be an option for a plans built boat.Another option for an amateur built boat is the "glass weld" developed by Jack Chippendale and referenced in these two links https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/classic-17/ https://www.simplicityboats.com/epoxyknowhowcarnel.htm . It features the transition of stresses that a scarf would give and the ease of alignment of a butt. The only real downside is that is is very visible under varnish-not a problem if you paint the interior.
I have a sort of attachment to the joint as the plane Jack used to cut the prototype is in my workshop as I type.
The Following User Says Thank You to fareastern For This Useful Post:
G.Stout* (02-13-2020)
post #13 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
SawDustMan

Thanks for all of the assists! Right now I’m gathering supplies. $$$ ��

Strength & Honor

Last edited by G.Stout*; 02-13-2020 at 09:26 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
SawDustMan

Bought some good reading material...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E8B35C69-78A5-4F09-887B-4CFCF8388408.jpg (311.5 KB, 8 views)

Strength & Honor

Last edited by G.Stout*; 02-13-2020 at 09:31 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
SawDustMan

Thanks Dude! I like the invisible butt joint for its simplicity. I think Im gonna give the scarf joint a shot and if I bugger it up then Im gonna give the invisible butt joint a go. 👍

Strength & Honor
post #16 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 09:51 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Won't the finished piece be less than 16' long, by the amount of the scarf joint's overlap?
post #17 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
SawDustMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
Won't the finished piece be less than 16' long, by the amount of the scarf joint's overlap?
Yes, by the length of the scarf as I understand it. I think the side panels Im making are like 14ish so Im good on length. Width is no issue.

Strength & Honor
post #18 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 11:12 AM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
I was thinking about this, because at first I was curious as to why a glued joint would be acceptable for boats. (I know nothing about boats other than what I learned from rowing them in college). If you take a scarf joint to the extreme, plywood is, itself, practically a scarf joint that's glued together. Or a laminate is an extreme scarf joint. The higher the ratio (8:1, 12:1) the stronger the joint.

Problem: solved. Carry on.
G.Stout* likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 12:55 PM

The term 'glue' is used roughly. Most importantly, they are referring to epoxy. Back up until maybe the 1970's, there was a waterproof glue. I believe it was 2 component and some powder might have been involved. I remember reading about it when I was using epoxy and it faded away. Cant remember the name of the stuff..
G.Stout* likes this.

Tony B

post #20 of 20 Old 02-13-2020, 01:51 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
The term 'glue' is used roughly. Most importantly, they are referring to epoxy. Back up until maybe the 1970's, there was a waterproof glue. I believe it was 2 component and some powder might have been involved. I remember reading about it when I was using epoxy and it faded away. Cant remember the name of the stuff..
Would that have been Resorcinol, it is the glue used in marine grade plywood, not sure if it is still available in small quantities for the home builder.
Tony B and G.Stout* like this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode