Sawstop demo on Time Warp - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

View nblumert's Photo Album My Photos
Sawstop demo on Time Warp

If your not familiar with the show Time Warp, it is a tv show on the Discovery channel that slows down everyday things to super slow motion. They had the inventor of the sawstop on tonight demonstating how it worked. I'm sure you have all seen the demo with the hot dog done, me included. I have never seen it with an actual finger. The inventor of the saw decided to demonstate with his own finger. The saw worked just as advertised, and barely a scratch on his finger. Watching this in super slow motion was really awesone. They showed his finger touching the blade and also the blade being stopped by the mechanism under the table. Sorry if this is a repost.
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Nick,
Didn't see the show or the demo. I am familiar with the saw and have seen the results of a demo in the destroyed blade and cartridge. At the local woodcraft store, the owner has done a demo on several occasions, using the hot dog. I have kidded with him and told him why doesn't he offer someone a heck of a discount on the saw or even free if they offer their own finger for the demo. He won't take me up on the offer, something about his insurance man would be found hanging somewhere. I will have to watch for the show.That would seem pretty eerie seeing someone's finger heading for the blade in slow motion. That would take a big set to do that even knowing that you won't get hurt.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
I was wondering how long it was going to take before another SawStop thread got started, they seem to be about as random as Grizzly. I need a SawStop about as much as I need a 5 ton lumber truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Hey WC,
I don't know. If I had a cabinet shop with employees, I think it would be pretty good insurance against somebody losing a finger and getting blood all over everything. It does seem to work. The owner of the woodcraft store told me that even though he knows its coming when he does the demo, it makes a hell of a double bang and scares the #$% out of him.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 12:34 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Hey WC,
I don't know. If I had a cabinet shop with employees, I think it would be pretty good insurance against somebody losing a finger and getting blood all over everything. It does seem to work. The owner of the woodcraft store told me that even though he knows its coming when he does the demo, it makes a hell of a double bang and scares the #$% out of him.
Mike Hawkins
Hi Mike, for insurance purposes if you have employees it might make sense, but, you gotta wonder if the sound of that thing going off wouldn't make the rest of the employees jump and cause more accidents.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 12:57 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
You mean this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHrmvQKevfI

I am getting one, they are supposed to come out with a cabinet model in '09 to compete with the Powermatics. A model between the "industrial" and the "contractor" model. Price will be about the same as the Powermatic. I have made that hospital run, I will not do it again. I don't care who thinks its silly, any added protection is well worth the money. I would gladly pay $3500 for the feeling in my index finger to come back.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1778 View Post
You mean this video?

I am getting one, they are supposed to come out with a cabinet model in '09 to compete with the Powermatics. A model between the "industrial" and the "contractor" model. Price will be about the same as the Powermatic. I have made that hospital run, I will not do it again. I don't care who thinks its silly, any added protection is well worth the money. I would gladly pay $3500 for the feeling in my index finger to come back.
If your not confident enough to use a tablesaw without that contraption added to it, you shouldn't be around a jointer, a router, a drill press, a mitersaw, a air nailer, a sharp chisel, a hammer, etc. Just about anything in the shop has the potential to bite you.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 02:41 PM

You absolutly right, I am not as confident in using my table saw today as I was even 6 months ago. I at one point was ignorant to the violent nature of a table saw, I have scene the light. Non of the tools you mention other than perhaps the router are as violent or as powerful than a table saw. Throw in kick back and your waiting for an accident. Like the vid said 10 people loose there fingers every day, you don't hear about people loosing there fingers in router accidents everyday. God forbid you ever have the absent mindedness to "accidentally" catch a TS blade to learn this. I was simply re-sawing some wood, something we do pretty regularly.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
You absolutly right, I am not as confident in using my table saw today as I was even 6 months ago. I at one point was ignorant to the violent nature of a table saw, I have scene the light. Non of the tools you mention other than perhaps the router are as violent or as powerful than a table saw. Throw in kick back and your waiting for an accident. Like the vid said 10 people loose there fingers every day, you don't hear about people loosing there fingers in router accidents everyday. God forbid you ever have the absent mindedness to "accidentally" catch a TS blade to learn this. I was simply re-sawing some wood, something we do pretty regularly.
Don't bet on it Nate. In high school shop I seen a guy use a long drill bit on a drill press to drill out a base for a lamp, when he turned that drill press on the drill bit swung out at 90 degrees comeing within a fraction of an inch from spilling his guts on the floor, I don't think I'll ever forget that moment. Don't ever assume anything is safe. I've even done the stupid mistake of leaveing a drill pluged in while changeing a bit with a keyed chuck, accidently touching the trigger somehow and twisting my fingers up, luckily I wasn't hurt, but that's not going to happen again, I HOPE ! There are a couple rules in my shop that I try to follow, one is don't ever get in a hurry or let anyone push you to be in a hurry, you'll cut a board short and or you'll get hurt. Number two is don't get distracted by someone else while working, stop working, then talk.

Last edited by user4178; 11-20-2008 at 03:10 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
There is no doubt, that the hobby, or in some cases, profession that we have chosen is an extemely dangerous one. Although this device is cool (thanks for the video link) I don't think that there is any substitute for a clear head, and a constant awarness of what we are doing at all times. I tell my children that "if you can see all ten fingers, you have all ten fingers". The day that you lose your healthy fear and respect for the tools, is the day that you are going to be minus a digit, whether it be a table saw, router table, jointer, drill press, band saw or lathe. They don't take prisoners.
Just my opinion and work ethic.
Ken
post #11 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You mean this video?

Yeah thats the video, good find. I don't care if people want the sawstop or not. It is an absoutely great invention and a good insurance policy.
Nick
post #12 of 24 Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nblumert View Post
Yeah thats the video, good find. I don't care if people want the sawstop or not. It is an absoutely great invention and a good insurance policy.
Nick
I never said it wasn't a good invention, it has it's place, just not in my shop.
post #13 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck1957 View Post
I never said it wasn't a good invention, it has it's place, just not in my shop.
I hear ya. Some people just need the extra precaution.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
Just curious as to how some of y'all got dinged on a table saw? Now if you had the funds to spare why wouldn't you buy one? Some seem dead against them?
post #15 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 AM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Tennessee View Post
Just curious as to how some of y'all got dinged on a table saw? Now if you had the funds to spare why wouldn't you buy one? Some seem dead against them?
John, I think it goes back to the day when SawStop first came out. The company tried to make it mandatory on all saws, and it upset alot of people.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Tennessee View Post

I was re-sawing Basswood slats for plantation shutters. 5/4 stuff about 24" long. MDF ZCI and a 48T all purpose blade. Had feather boards in place and was using a Red Oak push stick. Guard was off of the saw because the re-saw height was ~3". Everything was going great. Push board through, push stick went to the fence side of the blade, was guiding the out-feed with the left hand. About piece number 5 push stick hit the blade, my only thought is the hard wood was a bad introduction to the softwood cut. It hit the pushstick so hard it broke the ZCI down into the saw. At that point the basswood sank down into the throat of the saw, and a kick back occurred. Left hand that was guiding the boards through was somehow introduced to the spinning blade. Cut through the fingernails to the bone on left hand, pinky, ring, and middle finger. Cut the tip off the pinky all together. Index finger took the majority of the beating, chewed the index to the bone. All in about 1/2 a second. All I can remember thinking was "What just happened" and "How can I get that second back."

To think that ethics or clearheadedness have anything to do with it is blissful ignorance, no offense. I was clearheaded that day, Hell I was actually in the groove so to speak. I absolutly agree that any tool in the shop is dangerous, but if we use their safety features they become "less" dangerous. This is not a clever "gizmo", or a neat "contraption" this is the ultimate safty feature for a table saw. You think Powermatic, Delta, and the like aren't watching the patent on this thing like a hawk. Give it 10 years and you won't be able to by a new saw without it. The odds are pretty good, more than other tools, that you will come in contact with a table saw blade one way or another. Whether it be a pure accident or moment of brain fart. When it does happen what will your blade do?

Here are some pics of the damage after the operation. It has been 7 months since. Everything is back to normal and I am about done growing my last finger nail on my ring finger. I still have no feeling in my index finger. I consider myself lucky, my surgen said he regulary sees fingers in baggies. The one Thing that sticks in my mind is the amount of flesh that had stuck to my T-shirt. There was little bitty parts of fingerprint, nail and meat all over my face and T-shirt. The other thing was the amount of pain after the surgury, I have never felt anything like that before. That first day was rough to say the least.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...8/DSC_0048.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/nate1778/DSC_0052.jpg
post #17 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 AM
No Longer Here

Nate, I allways try to avoid the push stick from ever haveing contact with the blade. It sounds as if your blameing the saw for your accident, like your in denial of your own actions. Don't bet on them ever becomeing manditory, if they would, on what tool would it end ? It would certainly kill off woodworking for alot of people that couldn't afford it.

Last edited by user4178; 11-21-2008 at 11:22 AM.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 11:29 AM

No I am not blaming the saw at all, it was doing exactly what it was supposed to. What I am saying is, if my saw had the "Stop" feature I would have cleaned my soiled pants and went inside and had a stiff drink.

I agree it should not be mandatory, but it will become a standard, kinda like the riving knife and the kickback claws. You don't have to buy the riving knife, but why wouldn't you. No one can say that the other big manufacturers aren't looking at this feature and kicking themselves for not coming up with it first. Until their patent runs out they own the market. Cabinet shops are selling their Uni's for Sawstops. It just makes sense. Its coming as a standard feature in the near future and like everything else the price will come down. As quiting the hobby do to price, I think we can all admit we didn't get into this hobby to save money.........
post #19 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 12:54 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
No I am not blaming the saw at all, it was doing exactly what it was supposed to. What I am saying is, if my saw had the "Stop" feature I would have cleaned my soiled pants and went inside and had a stiff drink.

I agree it should not be mandatory, but it will become a standard, kinda like the riving knife and the kickback claws. You don't have to buy the riving knife, but why wouldn't you. No one can say that the other big manufacturers aren't looking at this feature and kicking themselves for not coming up with it first. Until their patent runs out they own the market. Cabinet shops are selling their Uni's for Sawstops. It just makes sense. Its coming as a standard feature in the near future and like everything else the price will come down. As quiting the hobby do to price, I think we can all admit we didn't get into this hobby to save money.........
Probably the reason some of the cabinet shops that are buying them are because they might be geting a break on their insurance and would pay for itself in time, but thats just a guess, there are plenty of other tools in the shop that employees can get hurt on, and the sound of that thing going off would probably cause other employees to flinch or jump and cause more accidents. As far as admiting that I got into this hobby to save money, I'll say I did. Thats how I started out rather than paying someone else to do the work. I figured the price I'd have to pay someone to remodel a room, put up a deck, restore a antique piece of furniture, etc. I could buy the tools and do it myself, the way I want it. It was allways the honest, valid excuse I gave the wife for a purchase of a new tool. I need this so, I can do that. Usually the outcome of the prodjects comes out alot better than if I hired a pro. Alot of the so called pros are in too big of a hurry to grab the check, and their quality suffers because of it.

Last edited by user4178; 11-21-2008 at 02:36 PM.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-21-2008, 06:42 PM
shop helper

View Patrick's Photo Album My Photos
The company I work for has one.They say it works.I don't plan on experimenting on my own.

~Patrick~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode