Sawdust-what to do with it? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Kap

View Kap's Photo Album My Photos
Sawdust-what to do with it?

I'm fairly new to woodworking and haven't really been generating massive amounts of sawdust till I got a planer for christmas.

I don't anticipate going crazy, but still...what do you do with a 40 gallon trash can full of sawdust?

it's not all clear wood either, as i cut a lot of treated wood in the regular course of my jobs and just tinkering the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 AM

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
If there are a lot of treated wood in your shavings, bag it up and let it go in the trash.
I usually put my shavings aroung the trees in the yard, and in the flower beds. Works good for mulch,, I use some of it in my garden plot also in the fall, and till it in, by spring it is all decomposed.

Wayne

My father was my inspiration for woodworking, wish he was still around for more advice. Luv ya Dad.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 AM

View Hoosier's Photo Album My Photos
My neighbor takes mine and uses it for bedding for his dogs. But I don't work with treated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 04:17 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Understand you can buy a press which will make logs for the fire from it,
johnep
post #5 of 16 Old 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Andrew Close

View aclose's Photo Album My Photos
but you may not want to do that with the treated sawdust you mentioned...
post #6 of 16 Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 AM

View dusty2's Photo Album My Photos
We give it to the local horse owners. They use it for bedding. A word of caution though, they won't or shouldn't use walnut shavings as they cause hoof infections.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM

View Nancy Laird's Photo Album My Photos
We give all of our shavings and dust and cut-offs to LOML's co-worker who has chickens and a wood stove. He puts the shavings and dust in the chicken coop to catch the droppings, and burns the wood to keep his house warm.

Nancy and Dave Laird
D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
David works in the Pro Sales Divison at Woodworker's Supply.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
The New Guy

View Fundabug's Photo Album My Photos
My employers are kind enough to let me use some empty storage space in back of their shop for my wood shop. One of the benefits to me and them is sawdust disposal. I put my sawdust and shavings in large plastic containers and my employers use them to clean up spills (motor oil, various vehicle fluids, and any other non-hazardous liquids). Works great and takes the mountains of sawdust off my hands.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 PM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
You need a sawdust burner to heat your shop.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
saw dust

It shouldn't be hard to locate someone with a wood burner. I usually have one or more 55 gallon drums of saw dust by fall. It sure does burn nice and extends your wood supply. If you can empty out your dust catchers before you cut treated wood and then put that wood dust in the trash (thats what I do) it makes it much easier.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM

View Boardman's Photo Album My Photos
My shop's out in the country so I burn scrap and sawdust. Now I've heard....that if you toss a box of sawdust on a fire too slowly it can create a big cloud of flames that can somewhat singe your hair.....mind you, I've just heard that only.

Last edited by Boardman; 01-24-2008 at 09:55 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-24-2008, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Kap

View Kap's Photo Album My Photos
Right after I posted this, iu thought, gee-what a stupid question.
But after reading the suggestions, that changed. Some good ideas in there.

My setup is so small that collecting the dust between treated and untreated is no problem.

Thanks, all.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 AM

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
I have loaded some walmart plastic bags with saw dust, rolled and tied them and stacked them in a corner. That makes them easy to handle, store and use. I grab one and toss it in the fire. Now I keep a 5 gallon bucket of saw dust next to the burner and shovel in what I want. I do it carefully, dust ignition can singe your eye brows. Your get smarter all the time.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-24-2008, 04:14 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Sawdust and air can cause an explosion. Any inflammable powder is very dangerous. Flour mills were notorious in the days before cyclone dust collectors. I am sure cotton mills also caught fire.
johnep
post #15 of 16 Old 01-24-2008, 10:21 AM

View jeepme79's Photo Album My Photos
We have backyard fires with the neighbors, so I collect the sawdust in a box and throw it over the top one handful at a time. Makes a nice flame show.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 PM

View Butch Marley's Photo Album My Photos
Saw Dust Uses

Maybe its just a California thing. I have friends and neighbors standing in line for my saw dust. Some use it for decorations around small flowers Some till it into the local Adobe, to loosen the the soil and retain water during the summer. Then there is the 4H people. They mix it with there rabbit droppings and make worm beds for fish bait. I just have to keep track of whose turn it is to call and come and get it.

Butch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode