Saw Dust!! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

View jodiemeglio's Photo Album My Photos
Saw Dust!!

How do you guys dispose of your sawdust? I live in a city so I can't burn it. I've only planed a few boards and haven't built that much but I already have 2 garbage bags full. I've been dumping buckets into my garden but I'm going to run out of space soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 02:20 AM

View Plowboy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiemeglio View Post
How do you guys dispose of your sawdust? I live in a city so I can't burn it. I've only planed a few boards and haven't built that much but I already have 2 garbage bags full. I've been dumping buckets into my garden but I'm going to run out of space soon.
We have a yard waste service. I put it in with the grass clippings, etc. I think its like $20 for three months of service.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 02:21 AM

Your lawn will love it, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 AM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
You should see the pile from my sawmill after a day of sawing! After a few years, it kind of goes away.....actually, when people know I have been milling, they come and gather up the sawdust...everything but the Black Walnut. Cedar from the woodshop is not a problem either....people grab it as well....all other dust goes in with the trash...at least it is biodegradable.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #5 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
i sell osage sawdust by the 5- 50 lb bag depending on how much I have whenever she calls for more of it, to a lady who repackages it and sells it by the ounce. Her clients use it to make natural dyes out of. She gets a pretty penny for it. So do I.

My wife keeps the larger Eastern Red Cedar chips that go into the first stage of the dust collection system for making potpourri (sp?) bags. The powdery sawdust from my shop gets spread out in front of my shop and walk-thru door to keep the mud off my shoes befor i enter the shop.
I drive up to a landing pad of sawdust! One day when the mud heads south, I will pour some aprons and solve that once and for all.

Use your imagination. You'll find a use for it don't burn it or send it to the dump. Stuff some big pillow cases with it and sell them for cheap pet beds? Just an idea that hit me this second.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 AM

View Burlkraft's Photo Album My Photos
I usually soak mine in diesel fuel and then pile slabs on top of that and burn them........:icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

Small enough to be called a "Campfire"
post #7 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Steve I'm going to turn you in the the GWP (Greenie Weenie Police)! Burning all that potential energy and polluting the ozone, wantonly, almost single-handedly creating a crescendo of global warming with your wreckless and licentious abandon!

What did I just say?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
Here in Delaware, anytime after Labor and before Memorial Day, we can burn branches, etc (no leaves) BUT...I can't burn waste lumber. After speaking with the agency about it, it goes like this. If I cut down a maple tree, I can burn it, in its entirety. If I make a few boards from it, I'm not allowed to burn the boards.
I often ponder this when I'm behind some dump truck or tractor trailer and I can't see my hood during his shifting process.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM

View Tommy_Joe's Photo Album My Photos
I would think if you call the folks you have contracted to pick up your trash (or City Hall if your city picks it up) they can tell you what to do with it.

Know anyone with horses? They use sawdust in the stalls for the horses. Worth a shot.

In St. Louis City, so long as it's in the dumpster, they'll take it. I dump my dust in the city dumpster along with the rest of the household trash. City doesn't mind, but the neighbors kind of do. So I'll dump it after 9:00pm the night before the trucks come.

Tom

Outfitting a Tablesaw with "Saftey" equipment will not protect you from a hand chisel.
http://www.rhodeswoodsmith.com/
post #10 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_Joe View Post

Know anyone with horses? They use sawdust in the stalls for the horses. Worth a shot.

I was about to suggest that, too. However, there shouldn't be any walnut in there. Messes with their lungs or something. Just what I've heard.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I was about to suggest that, too. However, there shouldn't be any walnut in there. Messes with their lungs or something. Just what I've heard.
Horse Whisperer
post #12 of 12 Old 01-05-2007, 12:19 PM

View Tommy_Joe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
You'd think I'd take my own advise since Grant's Farm is like 2 or 3 miles from my house. That would be fun to say "See those Clysdales... They poop on my sawdust."

Walnut bad... Good to know. Thanks!

Tom

Outfitting a Tablesaw with "Saftey" equipment will not protect you from a hand chisel.
http://www.rhodeswoodsmith.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode