Saw Blades.... What do you use - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

View elks's Photo Album My Photos
Saw Blades.... What do you use

I am needing to get a couple saw blades. Since this is my first time buying I need some help.

I need a 5/8 arbor 10" blade for my delta table saw. The use of the blade is typically either Ripping Plywood, MDF etc. Or ripping to width when squaring mapple, mahogany, alder, pine etc.

I also need a new blade for the Compound Miter Saw. 5/8 Arbor, Cross Cutting 2x4, and hardwoods Primary Use.

Also Need a new Blade for the Radial Arm Saw, It is primarily a rough cross cut for rough length on squaring lumber. It is used to cut hard woods and all our thicker boards.

Also I am just now reading up on blade types, etc. What should I get for a fine cutting blade on the table saw? Thanks a bunch I need to order this studd by Friday or I loose the money.

PS this is in my high school shop. So durability and cost are some factors to consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, The Diablo line from Freud has proven to be an excellent choice. For the table saw, a 40T General purpose blade would suit your needs, and for the miter saw the 80T crosscutting blade. I will refrain from recommending a blade for any RAS as those have specific requirements, which I am not sure what they are, but I know an incorrect blade on an RAS can be dangerous...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #3 of 9 Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 AM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the Diablo line. I used the 24T for ripping hardwoods and the 1040x for general use on the table saw. I have used the 44 and 84T blades on my sliding CMS (12").

Ut Prosim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Some tips for picking saw blades

Hi Elks - It's worth noting that a RAS and SCMS should have a blade with a negative to low hook angle (~ +5 or less) to prevent climbing or self feeding...a safety feature you won't want to overlook. It's not as critical with a straight CMS, but a steep hook (> +12) should still be avoided.

Cripe Distributing has the Delta 35-7657 full kerf 40T ATB blade on sale for $17 plus s/h. It's basically a reincarnation of the former DeWalt Series 60 DW7657, which was a very well regarded blade at $50, and was compared to the Forrest WWII by Wood Mag some years ago. They didn't find it be quite as good as the WWII, but at half the price they were pretty impressed, as am I. The Delta is a very good American made version with C4 carbide, and at $17 it's a steal for your TS needs (get a couple!).

Assuming you need 10" for your RAS and CMS, Amazon has the http://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBW-100060N-10-Inch-Negative-Finishing/dp/B003XREDZK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1303316408&sr=8-8 60T ATB with negative hook angle for $36 shipped. They feature large C4 carbide, copper silencers, and are surprisingly good quality at this price point.

Last edited by knotscott; 04-20-2011 at 12:31 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a site to peruse.
Great blades. TENRYU
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 PM

View klassenl's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Freud ripping blade from Canadian Tire (if you're not in Canada this won't help) when it was 25% off. It's quite amazing.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Question

So what did you end up with Elks?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-27-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

View elks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
So what did you end up with Elks?
I am going with the Freud Diablo series for the table saw and the Miter Saw. I just got a new 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw so I think the RAS will see little to no use now. So the blade I have should last a while longer.

PS Iam also ordering the saw you recomended as I have the budget now. I am gonna do some side by side and see which I like better. @ the prices you listed it is a great find.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-28-2011, 04:44 PM

View Al Killian's Photo Album My Photos
Elks I use Infinity blades, they are more expensive, but are the run quieter and hold their edge longer. They have blades made just for a ras and one for the cs too.

Maker of quality hardwood moldings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode