Saw Blade-How many tooth?Recommendations please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

View HandyFrank's Photo Album My Photos
Saw Blade-How many tooth?Recommendations please

I'm shopping for a new saw blade for my table saw and wanted to ask your opinions. I have a Craftsman table saw, nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. I've ripped hundreds, if not thousands of board feet on the blade that was in there, think it was a 32 tooth.

I want to get a good all around blade, so I'm curious how many teeth I should get? Would 40 be a good count to let me rip a lot of different materials?

I'm thinking i'll go with a Freud Diablo blade, since I love those blades in all of my chop and circular saws.

Anyone recommend I go with a 50 tooth instead of a 40, or a combination type blade? A thin kerf might be ideal since my table saw isn't the greatest.

What I will be using the blade for:
Right now I need to rip a picture frame so I need something that will leave a nice clean edge. Usually I am ripping trim (1X4's) or other around the house DIY type stuff. No professional work here, but I like to think some of my work comes out just as good :)

I do have a built-in-closet project in mind that i'll be using Red Oak or Birch plywood and will need to do a lot of 3/4" ripping.

ALL FEEDBACK WELCOME!

Here are a few I am eyeing:

Freud D1040A - 40 Tooth - $29.99
http://www.amazon.com/D1040A-Diablo-10-Inch-40-Tooth-PermaShield/dp/B00008WQ2W
Freud D1050X - 50 Tooth - $36.99
http://www.amazon.com/D1050X-Diablo-50-tooth-Combination-PermaShield/dp/B00008WQ2Z/
Freud LU83R010 - 50 Tooth - $48.24
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU83R010-10-Inch-Combination-PermaShield/dp/B00020JOAA/
Freud LU88R010 - 60 Tooth - $49.99
Heard this was an awesome crosscut AND Ripping blade:
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU88R010-10-Inch-Crosscutting-PermaShield/dp/B0000225UI-Only reason why I'm considering this blade is because someone did a test and posted it online and this board scored with flying colors for a lot of tasks. Just not sure if its too many teeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 40 tooth teflon on my saw most of the time. I like the feflon coated blades better because they run quieter.
post #3 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Unless I'm doing a lot of pure ripping, I use a Freud thin kerf combination blade.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I think are right where you want to be with a 40 tooth. I just recently picked up one of those Onrud 50 tooth off eBay. Great price but I'm not as happy with my rip cuts as I was with the OEM 36(?) tooth blade.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben
I think are right where you want to be with a 40 tooth. I just recently picked up one of those Onrud 50 tooth off eBay. Great price but I'm not as happy with my rip cuts as I was with the OEM 36(?) tooth blade.
Which 50? I keep one of a dozen Onsrud thin kerf 50t ATB+R blades in my TS and rotate them through a sharpening regiment. I really do like them and the price was right. I talked to them directly and a wheel n deal buy-it-now for em for a bit more than shipping...

This is the blade is was about to recommend and then saw your comment :)

...build n burn - live n learn...
post #6 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
Which 50? I keep one of a dozen Onsrud thin kerf 50t ATB+R blades in my TS and rotate them through a sharpening regiment. I really do like them and the price was right. I talked to them directly and a wheel n deal buy-it-now for em for a bit more than shipping...

+1... I keep 50 tooth blades in my T/S.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #7 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I'd definitely go with a thin kerf blade for that saw. Fewer teeth means a faster, more efficient, but rougher cut. More teeth means a cleaner cut but with more resitance....too many teeth with bog the saw more easily and will lead to more burning.

40T to 50T is generally the happy medium for a single blade that will cover a lot of cutting tasks reasonably well, but note that it neither rips as efficiently as a rip blade, nor cuts as cleanly as a dedicated crosscut blade. Most of the 40T ATB general purpose blades I've used cut a little cleaner and rip a tad more efficiently than most of the 50T ATB/R blades, but that's not an absolute statement....there are exceptions like the 50T Infinity 010-150 Combomax Lite.

The Freud LU88R010 Industrial blade is a great clean cutting blade that's actually more versatile than most 60T crosscut blades because it has a fairly steep hook angle that helps it rip more efficiently. It's really good as a general purpose blade in materials up to an inch or so, which are the most common thicknesses. It won't rip efficiently in thicker materials though....much over an inch, maybe 1.25" will labor your saw a more. If you don't mind spending a little extra money, I do think you'll get better results going with the LU88 then adding a 24T ripper like the Freud Diablo D1024 for $27....that's the direction I'd recommend. You could always grab the LU88 and pick up the D1024 when needed.
post #8 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM
John

Quote:

Hi Tom - This is the one I got, Onsrud COM-10-098-50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220949443718...84.m1439.l2649

Not a terrible blade by any means, I was just expecting a better finish I guess. I also have to say that the Ridgid OEM blade that came on the 4510 is waaay better than the run of the mill OEM also.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #9 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben

Hi Tom - This is the one I got, Onsrud COM-10-098-50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220949443718...84.m1439.l2649

Not a terrible blade by any means, I was just expecting a better finish I guess. I also have to say that the Ridgid OEM blade that came on the 4510 is waaay better than the run of the mill OEM also.
That's the one!

Interesting that you've had trouble with it! I wonder what's up? You say the OEM blade was better so I'm assuming it's not an alignment issue... Hmmm

post #10 of 32 Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 PM
John

Quote:
That's the one!

Interesting that you've had trouble with it! I wonder what's up? You say the OEM blade was better so I'm assuming it's not an alignment issue... Hmmm

Hi Tom - I'm just chalking it up to unrealistic expectations maybe. My blade for "quality" cuts is a Fusion and I think I may have been expecting like results.
Incidentally I picked up a couple of those Onsrud chipbreaker upcut router bits and they are truly awesome. Arguably the sharpest router bits I've ever owned. Made incredibly clean dados in a project I have been working on with AC plywood and cut it very quickly too. Those were the real deal at $12 per.

John

post #11 of 32 Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
I've used a lot of different saw blades in the last forty + years. About five years ago or so I bought the Freud 10" 60t ATB thin Kerf blade from HD for about $40. I've been so happy with this blade that it is the only blade I've bought since. It's the only type of blade I use anymore. It does all types of cuts with excellent results on my 3HP Grizzly TS. IMHO it is the best value of any blade I've ever bought. A fresh blade will cross cut veneer plywood just fine with a zero cl. insert. I use the one in most need of a sharpening for ripping.

Some of the blades mentioned on this thread I have not used.

Bret
post #12 of 32 Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM

Are you still with us Handy Frank?
post #13 of 32 Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Are you still with us Handy Frank?
Still here! Had my subscription set to send 1 email per day, so I didn't realize there were all these responses, thank you!

Sounds like I should definitely go thin kerf, and the 40-60 tooth based on who is recommending. That LU88 blade is the one that I saw had awesome reviews, maybe i'll go with that one. I don't ever rip anything over 3/4" truly, so I should be in good limits with that one. Is 60 tooth too much?

If you had to recommend a 40 or 50 tooth, would it be the Freud LU83R010?

I just trimmed out about half of my house so I don't expect to be a lot of ripping soon, but I will have the occasional rip to do. I don't do any cross cutting on my table saw, but if the blade is ideal on a 10" Dewalt chop saw I could use it there. Probably better off with a separate blade for the chop saw, right?

THANKS TO EVERYONE SO FAR!

Last edited by HandyFrank; 03-14-2012 at 12:16 PM.
post #14 of 32 Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFrank View Post
Still here! Had my subscription set to send 1 email per day, so I didn't realize there were all these responses, thank you!

Sounds like I should definitely go thin kerf, and the 40-60 tooth based on who is recommending. That LU88 blade is the one that I saw had awesome reviews, maybe i'll go with that one. I don't ever rip anything over 3/4" truly, so I should be in good limits with that one. Is 60 tooth too much?

If you had to recommend a 40 or 50 tooth, would it be the Freud LU83R010?

I just trimmed out about half of my house so I don't expect to be a lot of ripping soon, but I will have the occasional rip to do. I don't do any cross cutting on my table saw, but if the blade is ideal on a 10" Dewalt chop saw I could use it there. Probably better off with a separate blade for the chop saw, right?

THANKS TO EVERYONE SO FAR!
Hi Frank - I think you picked a winner with that one. The specs look very good on it, at least in my opinion.
http://www.freudtools.com/p-45-thin-...onbr-nbsp.aspx

John

post #15 of 32 Old 03-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
....If you had to recommend a 40 or 50 tooth, would it be the Freud LU83R010? ...
I think you'll like the LU83. It's a very versatile blade that does well in a lot of situations and is easy to get good results with, but it wouldn't necessarily be my top choice.

If you want to stick with the Freud line, their 40T Freud Fusion thin kerf is well worth a good look...it's from their top Premier line and is the cleanest cutting general purpose/combo blade they offer. It runs about $80 and takes you to the next level for this type of blade. It will leave a very polished edge and has very low tearout...it'll also go to town in plywood.

With that said, if you want a little cleaner cutting performance, the LU88 leaves a better cut than the vast majority of 40T or 50T blades out there. The LU88 would be ok in your chop saw, as long as it's not a sliding chop saw.

I know this is a lot of info to digest, but look at this way... with the blades you've mentioned, you're all but assured a good performer for your saw. We're just trying to help you fine tune the choices.
post #16 of 32 Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
This is what I use. 60 teeth is just right for a 3 hp saw, more teeth than that and you start getting diminishing returns and more drag and heat.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...&storeId=10051

Bret
post #17 of 32 Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the great recommendations! knotscott agreed it is a lot of info, but it seems like you have all helped me confirm a few top notch blades. The $80 fusion sounds great, but I don't do enough cutting to invest that much since I sometimes lend my table saw out to my brother/family and who knows what type of stock will get pushed through it. I figure a sub $50 blade will do me right, and I can easily replace it without feeling too bad it if gets dulled out somehow. About my chop saw, I have a standard 10" Dewalt compound miter saw, non-sliding.

jschaben, thanks for confirming the LU83 is a good blade that should fit me well.

Lola Ranch, I considered the D1060X but it isn't thin kerf, so i've decided to not get this one.

Now, with all this knowledge on the table and considering what i'll be using it for, If you all had to choose between the LU83 being a combination blade, or the LU88 as a blade that seems to rate top notch at many things, which would it be??? Hard core specs for each are at the links below.

LU83:

LU88:
http://www.freudtools.com/p-19-thin-...utbr-nbsp.aspx

Last edited by HandyFrank; 03-15-2012 at 04:36 PM.
post #18 of 32 Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM
John

Quote:
Thanks again for all the great recommendations! knotscott agreed it is a lot of info, but it seems like you have all helped me confirm a few top notch blades. The $80 fusion sounds great, but I don't do enough cutting to invest that much since I sometimes lend my table saw out to my brother/family and who knows what type of stock will get pushed through it. I figure a sub $50 blade will do me right, and I can easily replace it without feeling too bad it if gets dulled out somehow. About my chop saw, I have a standard 10" Dewalt compound miter saw, non-sliding.

jschaben, thanks for confirming the LU83 is a good blade that should fit me well.

Lola Ranch, I considered the D1060X but it isn't thin kerf, so i've decided to not get this one.

Now, with all this knowledge on the table and considering what i'll be using it for, If you all had to choose between the LU83 being a combination blade, or the LU88 as a blade that seems to rate top notch at many things, which would it be??? Hard core specs for each are at the links below.

LU83:

LU88:
http://www.freudtools.com/p-19-thin-...utbr-nbsp.aspx

Hi Frank - Freud makes a lot of decisions for you on their website, or, at least makes them easier. I pay attention to the little graphic on each webpage for saw blades. My interpretation is that the LU83 would make a better combination blade. I uploaded the chart from the 88. I find that Freud has done an excellent job in that those charts pretty accurately represent what you can expect.
Attached Images

John

post #19 of 32 Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 PM

The D1060X is indeed a thin kerf blade (0.098" or ~ 3/32")...you'll find that it's very similar to the LU88, but has less carbide.

from the Freud Diablo website:
Item#DiameterMachine UseApplicationTeethArborKerfHook
Angle
D1060X10"Miter Saw, Table SawFine Finish60 Hi-ATB5/8".098"15º

Which to get is really up to you, and what results you want...you'll get cleaner cuts and good versatility with the LU88 or D1060X. You'll get better versatility and faster rips with the LU83 but with slightly more blades marks and more tearout on ply and fine crosscuts.

Last edited by knotscott; 03-16-2012 at 03:03 PM.
post #20 of 32 Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone. Going to look through the specs one last time (Or flip a coin) and then pull the trigger. I'll post to let everyone know which I chose, and then once I use it for the first time will report how it does.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode