Saving a Used Mango Dining Table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

View Matt_S's Photo Album My Photos
Saving a Used Mango Dining Table

New to the forum so hi all

The main reason for joining (before I started looking through the projects and feeling like I can take on the world of woodwork) was to ask about a mango dining table I have rescued from going on the scrap heap (Mantis range of Oakfurnitureland. com)

Originally I was going to take on making a 'rustic scaffold board table top' but my Gran was throwing this out so I offered to have it. I love the chunky style and varying colours but the only problem is there are a few 'dinks' and 'scratches' that are on the wrong side of 'character'.

Now for my admissions, I am a complete novice and have DIY skills and tools rather than expertise and machinery. However I do have willingness. If it goes wrong it goes in the bin, but I'd like to try and recover it if I can, even if it just teaches me a few tips and tricks.

So after waffling on, what are the experts opinions on where I can start? I'll upload pics of it's current state shortly.

The finish is 'Natural Solid Mango (Light)' with a 'Durable Wax Finish' quoted from the website.

thanks in advance for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-10-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

View Matt_S's Photo Album My Photos
Images of the current state of the table top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190910-WA0001.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	378585  

Name:	IMG-20190910-WA0000.jpg
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	378587  

Name:	IMG-20190910-WA0002.jpg
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	378589  

Name:	IMG-20190910-WA0003.jpg
Size:	483.8 KB
ID:	378591  

Name:	IMG-20190910-WA0004.jpg
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	378593  

Name:	IMG-20190910-WA0005.jpg
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	378595  

post #3 of 4 Old 09-10-2019, 06:01 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The only thing I can think of to remove that scratch is a wet rag and a clothes iron. Even at that, it probably wont work. Just learn to live with it. It's not that bad.

If you want to put on a hard finish, you will probably have to have it commercially stripped. Any kind of oil or wax finish will be very difficult to remove. If not entirely removed, it will fish-eye. Fish eye happens when a hard finish is being applied and mix with any oils. The results are spots of tiny swirls of rainbow colors that look like a fish's eye. Depending on how deeply imbedded the wax is.
Really pretty top. If you try to sand it out, more than likely, you will push the wax further into the wood and make it even more difficult to remove.

If stripped, and you used a pre-cat lacquer finish, there are chemicals (fish eye remover) that can be added to the lacquer to eliminate the fish eye. But lacquer must be sprayed.
AwesomeOpossum74 likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 09-10-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, I wouldn't bother to refinish it. Seems like it has a long history of use in the family. Just add whatever is on it now. Leave the scratch, normal use. My daughter has two solid walnut end tables that my parents bought in about 1959 or 1960. They are still in new condition. Told my grandsons their history and told them not to scratch or damage them in any way.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode