Sandpaper Increments? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

View Anguspapa's Photo Album My Photos
Sandpaper Increments?

If I may ask what your sandpaper increments are? With a DeWalt high speed, random orbital sander, I'm starting with 80-100-120-150-220. Sometimes 60, only if needed. This is for fine decorative items, like the cutting boards, valet boxes, etc. I'm wondering if the 120 is needed, or just jump to 150. The items that create are both stained and oiled. Thanks

Eric Williams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 03:05 PM

View Duncancruiser's Photo Album My Photos
For cutting boards I start at 80 if its rough. But usually after throwing it through the planer I only use 150 max. That's usually good enough. For boxes and what not mostly finish with 220 unless I want to try higher.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguspapa View Post
If I may ask what your sandpaper increments are?
A good question, although I expect no simple black-and-white answer.

In my projects starting grit will depend on whether I need to get the surface flat to remove height differences between piece, or just removing scratches from the work.

If I need to flatten I will start with 60 or 80 grit.

If I am just removing scratches, I may start with 120 or 150. If I am being lazy and 220 grit is on the ROS, I may try that.

I think the use of next grit size vs skipping a grit size may be a trade-off. We sand to remove the marks from the previous grit. If we skip a grit we save the time in changing discs, which with my hook and loop discs is only a few seconds, but then we will spend more time to remove previous scratch marks.

It may also depend on the wood. Denser wood will take longer than softer wood.

I would give it a try and decide for yourself if skipping a grit is saving time.

Now if you do not have the discs of a given grit, then it is a different issue, you are saving the cost to purchase the discs, which may be worthwhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Now I work with almost exclusively oak and maple....and have cut out a number of grits. I start with 120 after planing, and then go to 180. I used to go to 220, but I've found my finishes look much better only going to 180.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #5 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I believe I got this info from this site. If I start with 80 the next will be 120 followed by 180. If I start with 100 the next will be 150 followed by 220 if needed and so on. If you don't see the sequence it's you go up by one half of the previous grit. One half of 80 is 40 and 80 plus 40 is 120. Then go 120 plus half of it or 180 and so on to the max you need. This has worked well for me.
Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to TomC For This Useful Post:
Anguspapa (08-25-2013)
post #6 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone used Mirka discs? That is what I'm using, to me they seem to be wearing out quick. But, I have not used other discs, so I'm not sure. I might switch to Norton 3x, which are created with a blend of ceramic alumina and heat-treated aluminum oxide grain. Has anyone used these and liked them?

Eric Williams
post #7 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 05:41 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguspapa View Post
Has anyone used Mirka discs? That is what I'm using, to me they seem to be wearing out quick.
I purchased Mirka for my first ROS. These days I like to purchase the Klingspor abrasives. Good quality, decent prices and they have all the grits I need.

I like these AZ-Plus Stearate. I get good use out of these discs.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/categ...-PLUS+STEARATE
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
Anguspapa (08-25-2013)
post #8 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I use mirka....and they do wear out quick. But then again....they're cheap from amazon. Klingspor are by far the best ones i've used, and they last at least 3 times what the mirka do.........I should probably order some of those one of these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
Anguspapa (08-25-2013)
post #9 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

After doing some more research I found a chart that shows some stats on the discs. The web link to the article is http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...sanding-discs/. The disc that was rated the best is Klingspor's Stearate discs. Just like Dave Paine said.

Name:  image-422223479.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  46.3 KB

Eric Williams
Attached Images

Last edited by Anguspapa; 08-25-2013 at 09:15 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 PM

View Duncancruiser's Photo Album My Photos
I only use master craft brand. They last quit awhile. I can usually get about 5-6 cutting boards out of 1 disc. Much longer than the Diablo brand I have used.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-25-2013, 11:34 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
As for grit - I always do 100 - 120 - 150 with a PC 330 sander (best sander in my opinion which uses 1/4 sheets). When I'm done with my 150 stage, I wet (not saturate) the wood with a damp cloth and let it dry (about 20 minutes). This pops out minor dents and brings out any imperfections. It also makes all the loose wood fibers stand up so the wood feels fuzzy when dry. If no imperfections need to be sanded, I hand sand the fuzzy fibers with 180 grit. I do not use the machine at this stage.

220 paper is too much for the hardwoods. It closes the fibers so the stains will not penetrate the surface of the wood. I prefer not to hide the wood grain but if you prefer the shinny glass like finish, I would follow my method and add more finish after sanding the finished stained product
with 400 grit paper. In my humble opinion, 220+ grit paper is only good to sand a previously stained or finished product to add more coats of stain.

If working with soft woods, I will sand up to 220.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BernieL For This Useful Post:
Anguspapa (08-25-2013)
post #12 of 13 Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Let the flames begin!

The coarse grits of sandpaper (40 up to about 100) are used for shaping and flattening. The finer grits (120, 150, 180, 220) are used to remove the scratches made by the previous coarser grit. These grits make the surface smooth. The extra fine grits (320, 400 and up) are used to make your finishes blotch.

You will find that you will use much more of the coarse grits than the finer grits. While I have 80 and 100 grits, usually I'll start with 120. Depending upon the surface I may skip the 150 and go straight to 220. If the finish is to be a shellac / French polish type I may go beyond 220 but that is a very rare occasion.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrich For This Useful Post:
Anguspapa (08-26-2013)
post #13 of 13 Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
I go from 100 to 150 for raw wood, but after the finish is applied, I use 220 between coats. Never had a problem.

My father was my inspiration for woodworking, wish he was still around for more advice. Luv ya Dad.
The Following User Says Thank You to yank For This Useful Post:
Anguspapa (08-26-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode