Sanding with a ROS - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Sanding with a ROS

Im looking for ideas from anyone using a ROS hooked up to a vac unit.

What size vac is best or needed?

What do you do with the vac hose? Hang it? Let it hang?

Who has a quiet vac? Anyone know who makes the quietest?

Help me out guys!

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 09:19 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,356
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
me do

I use a Dewalt 321? ROS with a lightweight drywall vac hose connected to a 16 gal. 6HP Rigid shop vac. Most quiet shop vac I've used. I just let the hose follow me around. The combination works great, no dust and sands fairly well for a finish sander.

I recently bought a Porter Cable right angle ROS sander:
http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7.../dp/B002EQ96O4
I haven't tried it out yet, but it should have way more power....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #3 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WNC
Posts: 224
View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
I use a Makita 5" 8 hole ROS hooked to a Fein turbo 2 vacuum. for pieces up to 24" x 24" I hang the hose/cord using bungee cord.
I seldom do larger pieces, then I just let the hose/cord dangle.
From being in other shops I believe either the Fein or Festool are the quietest.
UnisawGuy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer
 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 4,334
View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I use a Ceros 5" 5 hole ROS hooked to a Fein turbo 2 vacuum. Quiet as it can be.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
Leo G is offline  
post #5 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnisawGuy
I use a Makita 5" 8 hole ROS hooked to a Fein turbo 2 vacuum. for pieces up to 24" x 24" I hang the hose/cord using bungee cord.
I seldom do larger pieces, then I just let the hose/cord dangle.
From being in other shops I believe either the Fein or Festool are the quietest.
Nice unit. Good idea with the bungee cord.

Thanks
Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #6 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G
I use a Ceros 5" 5 hole ROS hooked to a Fein turbo 2 vacuum. Quiet as it can be.
Oh that sound like a nice set. Is the sander DCV? Do you do anything with the vac hose or just let it hang?

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #7 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer
 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 4,334
View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
DC Volts off the AC transformer. Let it hang or hold it with one hand. I have a setup to hang the hose, I use it occasionally.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
Leo G is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (09-17-2014)
post #8 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings
I use a Dewalt 321? ROS with a lightweight drywall vac hose connected to a 16 gal. 6HP Rigid shop vac. Most quiet shop vac I've used. I just let the hose follow me around. The combination works great, no dust and sands fairly well for a finish sander.

I recently bought a Porter Cable right angle ROS sander:
http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7.../dp/B002EQ96O4
I haven't tried it out yet, but it should have way more power....
Is that sander this one your number is a jigsaw.

Al
Attached Images
 


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #9 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,356
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I'm in my jammies now

I put a ? behind the number 'cause it's not one I use every day. I'll look in the morning. It's probably no longer in production regardless.


this comes up for a 421 Dewalt:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...alt+421+sander


could be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26451K...rds=dewalt+421

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-17-2014 at 11:07 PM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #10 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings
I put a ? behind the number 'cause it's not one I use every day. I'll look in the morning. It's probably no longer in production regardless.

this comes up for a 421 Dewalt:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...alt+421+sander

could be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26451K...rds=dewalt+421
I think I wore out my sander on my last marathon project. I've replaced the pad and break disk twice. I think I want a vac with auto switching. I'm leaning Fein or Mirka.

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #11 of 39 Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have to have a powerful vac for just a sander? I use a DC for everything but my router table.

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #12 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
OnealWoodworking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,128
View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
Do you have to have a powerful vac for just a sander? I use DC for everything but my router table.

Al
I suppose you 'could' use a battery powered vac but I would not suggest it.

It would take a LOT of panels and batteries to store up enough juice for 30 minutes of vacuum power.
OnealWoodworking is offline  
post #13 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,356
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Shop Vac is best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
Do you have to have a powerful vac for just a sander? I use a DC for everything but my router table.

Al
The high velocity and great suction from a shop vac is what I find works best. Yep, the filter gets wasted pretty bad, after a while but it's not too bad. Knock it out, outside and start sanding again. A dust deputy or other inline drop out type separator would save cleaning the shop vac so often.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #14 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnealWoodworking

I suppose you 'could' use a battery powered vac but I would not suggest it.

It would take a LOT of panels and batteries to store up enough juice for 30 minutes of vacuum power.
DC= dust collector.

I was thinking between 3hp and 6 hp.

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #15 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings

The high velocity and great suction from a shop vac is what I find works best. Yep, the filter gets wasted pretty bad, after a while but it's not too bad. Knock it out, outside and start sanding again. A dust deputy or other inline drop out type separator would save cleaning the shop vac so often.
I'm going with two stage also.

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #16 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 02:31 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,356
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
a 2 bucket ctclone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
I'm going with two stage also.

Al

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xhYnWDCd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxFNUWD2GQ

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-18-2014 at 02:47 AM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #17 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 05:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Danno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 527
View Danno's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post

I think I wore out my sander on my last marathon project. I've replaced the pad and break disk twice. I think I want a vac with auto switching. I'm leaning Fein or Mirka.

Al
I like the Mirka. We have them at work. Put some Abranet disks on there and they cut like butter.
Danno is offline  
post #18 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM
more bacon?
 
Ttharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Walker, Louisiana
Posts: 719
View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Al. I currently have a 6" mirka ceros and vac. It is an awesome tool. The only compliant I have is that the transformer is made to just sit on or just hang from the vac. I think for a tool in this price range there should be some type of molded spot for it to park itself. I have also used the festool and will say that the two products are comparable. Both are well made and work great. Dust collection on both is awesome. I would guess in the 90%+ range. I went with the Mirka because at the time it was a better deal I got the sander and vac and over $300.00 in sandpaper for about $100.00 less than the festool. That was before their price increase this year too. The deciding factor for me would be wether or not you intend on owning other festool products. If you are I would say get the festool and vac, if not then I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Ttharp is offline  
post #19 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Wood Snob
 
Al B Thayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,963
View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Travis and Dano.
I've never heard a bad word about Mirka and I remember the day you posted of your purchase. Turned me green with envy. I'm also wondering about the hose and cord. At present I don't like the cord dragging across my work and it seems like a pain in the seat with the vac line.

Are you guys using a small size hose? Is there hoses made for sanding? Lighter?

Thanks for reenforcing my tool envy to a point where my wallet falls out of my pocket.

Al


Al B Thayer is offline  
post #20 of 39 Old 09-18-2014, 09:33 AM
more bacon?
 
Ttharp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Walker, Louisiana
Posts: 719
View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer
Thanks Travis and Dano. I've never heard a bad word about Mirka and I remember the day you posted of your purchase. Turned me green with envy. I'm also wondering about the hose and cord. At present I don't like the cord dragging across my work and it seems like a pain in the seat with the vac line. Are you guys using a small size hose? Is there hoses made for sanding? Lighter? Thanks for reenforcing my tool envy to a point where my wallet falls out of my pocket. Al
The hose is small and soft. It is there though. I mean you will notice it, but the pro far out weigh the cons. The tool costs a lot money, but for me I am very happy. I would venture to say that if there is anyone on the planet that doesn't like using either of these tools, then something is wrong with them. I can also understand that some people would never spend this kind of money on a sander. What I am trying to say in a nutshell is that I believe that if you don't mind buying upper end tools, it won't take many hours of sanding before you can't even remember the pain in your pocketbook.
Ttharp is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ttharp For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (09-18-2014)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sanding Stuart P Woodturning 16 02-26-2014 07:34 AM
Sanding Ugh! Thereís got to be something better Sleeper General Woodworking Discussion 35 08-09-2013 11:03 PM
sanding Michaelnewbee Tips, Tricks, & Homemade Jigs 3 01-15-2013 03:42 PM
Sanding Cherry Trim - Triple Sanding? bloodsweatandtears Wood Finishing 3 05-29-2010 10:18 AM
Sanding djonesax Wood Finishing 8 09-14-2008 06:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome