Sanding Curved Plywood edges at 90į question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 12-22-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Sanding Curved Plywood edges at 90į question

My router did not do such a great job of cutting a circle and I think it was because the circle jig wasnít very stable. So now Iím trying to sand it but Iím having a tough time sanding the edge while keeping the sand paper square to the surface.
I made a little sanding jig to hold the sandpaper square, but itís not going very fast and I was wondering if there was a power tool to do the job. I wish I could mount something on to my portable belt sander to act as a guide for keeping it square. The board is too large for me hold on any of my sanding machines.
So just in case this comes up again, what can I use to handle this?

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a belt sander you might construct a homemade edge sander. I had one like the horizontal one until I changed brands of sanders.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (12-22-2014)
post #3 of 16 Old 12-22-2014, 12:29 PM

View smithbrother's Photo Album My Photos
Why not go back and set the circle cutter STABLE, and route an 1/8" or so more off?

That's what I would consider, make sure you bit is good and sharp, and don't hurry the process.

Dale in Indy
The Following User Says Thank You to smithbrother For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (12-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-22-2014, 12:37 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithbrother View Post
Why not go back and set the circle cutter STABLE, and route an 1/8" or so more off?

That's what I would consider, make sure you bit is good and sharp, and don't hurry the process.

Dale in Indy
That was going to be my suggestion....but take a 16th, or less. just barely shave the surface.

Lacking that option, I agree, mount a belt sander (or any power sander) horizontal to your bench or table saw or whatever is big enough to support your work piece.

Depending how important precision is, you might sand yourself a little bit out of round.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-22-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Dale in Indy
Well that would be the most sensible way to do it although I would have to change all my other measurements.

I just threw this jig together thinking I could knock it out quickly, but as usual it came back to bite me. I guess I should just take the time to make a better jig for one of my other routers with a larger base.

JohnnyB
post #6 of 16 Old 12-22-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If you have a belt sander you might construct a homemade edge sander. I had one like the horizontal one until I changed brands of sanders.
I like the one on the bottom and I think I'm going to make on of those.
Thanks Steve

JohnnyB
post #7 of 16 Old 12-22-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I finally got it squared away and it looks much better than I was expecting. My little right angle sanding block worked well once I got the hang of it and perfected a quick method of changing the sand paper.
I do need to put a new circle cutting jig on my priority list so I donít have to do this again.

JohnnyB
post #8 of 16 Old 12-23-2014, 12:10 AM

There is NO need to buy an expensive circle jig, PERIOD. Just do what you were doing, only make it stable. I have used long sticks, etc many times, and did wonders.

I'm NOT a fan of expensive jigs, I get all these woodworker sale flyers in the mail, and they are full of TRICKS OF THE WEEK, that you don't need. IMHO. $600.00 for a sharpening machine, HUH, a bench grinder with the right stone is just as good. That's just one an example of wasting money, IMO.

Just today I sharpened my lathe tools on my belt sander in 15 seconds, and they cut like a charm.

Dale in Indy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smithbrother For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (12-23-2014), Sleeper (12-23-2014)
post #9 of 16 Old 12-23-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dale,
I have to admit that I looked at some of those circle jigs, but I backed off when I saw how much they were selling for.

I was going to use my Porter Cable Plunge Router but thought it might be too heavy for what I was going to use as my circle jig plus I already had it set up for another project. Then I saw the trim router and figured it would work but it just wasnít the right tool.

I havenít looked at any homemade circle jigs yet for ideas, but I have some small scrap ĹĒ MDF pieces that I picked up for free at Home Depot. Iíve been looking for something to do with it and this would have been good I think..

JohnnyB
post #10 of 16 Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Here's my circle jig. Made it from 1/4" clear plexiglass. It can cut a circle up to 72" in diameter. It is drilled to fit the base of my 3 1/4 horse porter cable router. Put a 1/16" deep saw cut in it dead center so it is quick & easy to drill a center pivot hole where needed. 5 bucks' worth of plastic & a little bit of time is all.

-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1419369337.548850.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BZawat For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (12-23-2014), Sleeper (12-23-2014)
post #11 of 16 Old 12-23-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Hi BZawat, thanks for showing me your circle jig. I seem to remember seeing a plastic one before and it might have been yours that I saw. I was actually trying to find a photo of one before making the one I did.

JohnnyB
post #12 of 16 Old 12-23-2014, 08:22 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
There is NO need to buy an expensive circle jig, PERIOD. Just do what you were doing, only make it stable. I have used long sticks, etc many times, and did wonders.

I'm NOT a fan of expensive jigs, I get all these woodworker sale flyers in the mail, and they are full of TRICKS OF THE WEEK, that you don't need. IMHO. $600.00 for a sharpening machine, HUH, a bench grinder with the right stone is just as good. That's just one an example of wasting money, IMO.

Just today I sharpened my lathe tools on my belt sander in 15 seconds, and they cut like a charm.

Dale in Indy
I agree with the part I bolded.

The stuff about sharpening on a belt sander or bench grinder was just plain wrong though. Most any of the high dollar sharpening systems will give a person MUCH better results than that with relative ease.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-23-2014, 08:32 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post

This would not be so good for anyone using an old-school belt sander that actually requires gear oil. (like me with my older model PC...)

The oil does not go where it is 'supposed to' when you start inverting things and running them in positions they were not designed for.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-23-2014, 09:55 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Hi BZawat, thanks for showing me your circle jig. I seem to remember seeing a plastic one before and it might have been yours that I saw. I was actually trying to find a photo of one before making the one I did.

I modeled that one after a radius jig that I saw in the rockler catalog at some point. The two major differences between mine and theirs are that theirs was made from phenolic rather than Plexiglas, and theirs cost $75 instead of five LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to BZawat For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (12-23-2014)
post #15 of 16 Old 12-24-2014, 11:07 AM

When you make a CIRCLE jig, DON'T screw the router to the jig. Instead use a router bushing, then when you SWING the router you keep the router in the same position as your hand, the bushing allows the router to move within. I find it is much better than screwing the router down.

I must be a skilled blade sharpener, I have used my belt sander for years to sharpen, and just this week when I sharpened my lathe tools, well, the chips/shavings just POURED off, I know sharp when I see/feel it, Lol.

Each to his/her own, as we ALL know.

Dale in Indy
The Following User Says Thank You to smithbrother For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (12-24-2014)
post #16 of 16 Old 12-24-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
When you make a CIRCLE jig, DON'T screw the router to the jig. Instead use a router bushing, then when you SWING the router you keep the router in the same position as your hand, the bushing allows the router to move within. I find it is much better than screwing the router down. ........

Dale in Indy
Aw, that's what I forgot. I knew there was something that I saw once that I thought was cool, but couldn't remember it. I did do a quick search and found the plastic ones at Rocker that screwed on so that's what I did. I was in a hurry and didn't spend a lot of time looking.
The funny thing is that I have two sets of bushings and I think I've only used one set once.

JohnnyB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode