sanding burled logs - flexible belt sander? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
rich

View hobbyer's Photo Album My Photos
Question sanding burled logs - flexible belt sander?

burled logs have lots of curves, cracks, and odd shapes that eliminate standard sanding techniques.
several companies sell expensive 1" and narrower belt sanders that might handle this problem. However, the pictures of them on ebay and their description leaves a lot to be desired. I'm looking for a hand held, electric sander that will quickly sand these features. Please advise me what to buy that is affordable. thanks!

My project is to make a hand rail and posts out of fire burnt burled timber for my stairwell. If it works out well; then I will also use them for fence posts and rails.

Next question; what would be the best coating to use for the fence posts and rails? The coating would have to be glossy and very high resistance to ultraviolet light, weather, and water. We get some pretty bad weather here!
thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM
bzguy

View bzguy's Photo Album My Photos
Check out this "Flap wheel" that fits in a drill, 2cd ad down
never used one but it may work?
Drill Sanding Attachment: Power Tools | eBay
post #3 of 8 Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 PM

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
I am thinking random orbital sander would be the best bet. Start with a low number grit and go up to 220 etc. JMHO

My father was my inspiration for woodworking, wish he was still around for more advice. Luv ya Dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
rich

random orbital sanders are fairly slow and meant to sand flat items.
flap wheel sanders wear out really fast it seems to me, but using a drill
will over heat the drill wouldn't it? they aren't meant to be run continuously for hours at a time.

thanks for the input. anyone know if those 1" and narrower hand held
belt sanders are flexible or just for flat sanding?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 PM

View JerryBurks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyer View Post
random orbital sanders are fairly slow and meant to sand flat items.
flap wheel sanders wear out really fast it seems to me, but using a drill
will over heat the drill wouldn't it? they aren't meant to be run continuously for hours at a time.

thanks for the input. anyone know if those 1" and narrower hand held
belt sanders are flexible or just for flat sanding?
I find my DeWalt orbital sander with a 60 or 80 grit pad removes material quite quickly and allows for some curvature when using the perimeter. It may however leave some slight surface waviness. If there are hard features in the wood like knots it will leave a bump.

I also can say of my Milwaukee hand held hammer drill that I have used it often for hours at a time with a buffing wheel to polish aluminum and have not even replaced the brushes. May not work with a $30 Harborfreight drill, though.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The material that you are describing is very uneven. I cannot think of anything other then the suggested "flap wheel" sander that would work. I would imagine that even that would miss some spots.

If you are concerned about run time you may want to mount the flap wheel to a stationery motor. Can you manipulate the pieces you want to sand?

George

George
post #7 of 8 Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
rich

Question narrow belt sander - does it work on curves?

see attachment picture example; dynabrade belt sander.
i went to their webpage and found no data on what it is capable of.
i am imagining a belt sander tool with a spring loaded extra pulley that would allow the belt to be flexed around a curved object and would straighten out when pressure on the object is released. it would have to be hand held because I want to sand logs 10' long and maybe 2' in diameter down to 4" in diameter. air tools like the attachment require about 90 psi and a lot of volume...much more than my compressor will put out...so i want the electric cord.
dynabrade makes a model called "dynafile" that might work, but they don't publish details about it on their webpage, so i emailed them. also most of their tools are way out of my budget.
i ordered an angle grinder with sanding pad and discs for the coarse sanding and removing bark and charred wood, but am still puzzled about fine sanding to at least 120 grit before sealing and marine spar varnishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dynabrade sander.jpg
Views:	5318
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	74676  

post #8 of 8 Old 07-05-2013, 05:11 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyer View Post
see attachment picture example; dynabrade belt sander.
i went to their webpage and found no data on what it is capable of.
i am imagining a belt sander tool with a spring loaded extra pulley that would allow the belt to be flexed around a curved object and would straighten out when pressure on the object is released. it would have to be hand held because I want to sand logs 10' long and maybe 2' in diameter down to 4" in diameter. air tools like the attachment require about 90 psi and a lot of volume...much more than my compressor will put out...so i want the electric cord.
dynabrade makes a model called "dynafile" that might work, but they don't publish details about it on their webpage, so i emailed them. also most of their tools are way out of my budget.
i ordered an angle grinder with sanding pad and discs for the coarse sanding and removing bark and charred wood, but am still puzzled about fine sanding to at least 120 grit before sealing and marine spar varnishing.

This sander is great for carvers an turners, once you have ruffed a piece with your Angle Grinder it work great for you Just take your time tho don't let the machine overheat

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you

Tags
burls, coating, flexible, sanding, ultraviolet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode