sagging door project help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

View hubaseball's Photo Album My Photos
sagging door project help

I am working on finishing up a DVD cabinet and have run into a few minor issues I thought I would post and see if anyone has suggestions. Here is what the problem is with the door. When I open the door it hits the base at the bottom. The door sags on the non hinge side.

I believe that the sagging door is one of the causes of the rubbing and the other is the base is flexing from back to front when the door swings out. I have posted a few photos below of the project.

Solution to address the base from flexing is to build a small base like a table apron to secure to the existing bottom.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Hubie,
How about adding a few structural (fixed) shelves to stiffen up the carcass. Maybe add a couple more hinges to keep it from sagging. And for the base, if you see it is flexing, double it up with another piece of the same wood. Either make is slightly bigger to add a step in it, or flush it up and profile the edge a bit. Looks pretty nice.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Hubie,
How about adding a few structural (fixed) shelves to stiffen up the carcass. Maybe add a couple more hinges to keep it from sagging. And for the base, if you see it is flexing, double it up with another piece of the same wood. Either make is slightly bigger to add a step in it, or flush it up and profile the edge a bit. Looks pretty nice.
Mike Hawkins

Mike thanks for the input. I do plan on adding a few more hinges and I like your idea of double up the base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

So after looking at the cabinet again I can modify the base and make it a little stronger. The door is what is coming out of square. I thought the face frame would have held it square but I guess I learned my lesson. Any suggestions on ways to keep the door square?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:38 PM

View Schu's Photo Album My Photos
It appears that the door will house dvd's as well. If it is sagging now under it's own weight, it will be even worse when you load it up.

I'm guessing you're getting some sag/twist from a couple different directions. The weight of the door is pulling the top of the base unit forward and pulling it out of square, which allows the non hinge side of the door to droop, in addition to the door itself sagging a little.

As was previously suggested, a few shelves would help the main unit's rigidity and take out some of that twist. It would also help if you could gusset the corners of the door. A triangular piece in each corner that attaches to the side and bottom/top. A piece that goes all the way across would work as well, but you want to avoid adding too much weight. A thin piece of 1/4" would work. You are just trying to provide some sheer strength to the box.

If you go the route of adding some pieces to the edge of the door, you can "pre-rack" the door up a little so it sags back to square.

Last edited by Schu; 03-16-2011 at 11:40 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a few problems. You may have to reset the butt hinges to set the bottom of the door out a bit. If the door is cut exactly the width of the cabinet front you may want to make it a tad narrower so there would be a slight reveal at the edge.

You could add another bottom to the cabinet the size of the cabinet, so the door will finish higher. Actually, you could add just a strip of wood around the edge underneath the bottom to raise the cabinet up, from the plate.

As suggested, adding a strip across the front top and bottom of the front of the door, approx 2" high will act as a corner gusset and stiffen up the door.

Cabinets like this that are to be used for utility which may include weight, should be made with " material. Using euro concealed hinges would permit a lot of adjustment.

Last edited by cabinetman; 03-17-2011 at 09:30 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies they have given me some ideas to try.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Update

So I fixed the door being out of square and braced that. I now realized that the as someone had posted that the main carcass is flexing. I believe my two options are going to be to make a face frame or attach fix the shelves. What are your thoughts on these solutions? Does 1 sound better than the other?
post #9 of 12 Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You won't like this...

First off I'd try a piano hinge.
If that doesn't work it looks like you could slab on an additional 1/2 ply on either side and still have the top project over a bit.
Internal permanent shelves will add strength... bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 12 Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM

I think the shelves would work better than the face frame. The shelves would need to be attached to the sides and back.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-23-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Cabinet update

So after securing the door and making sure that stays square I added two fixed shelves in the main part. One of the top and the bottom and to my surprise the door now swings up freely. Thanks for all of the input for those of you who posted.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM

Outstanding! Glad to hear it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode