Ryobi 10" compound miter saw trouble - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

View Woody1987's Photo Album My Photos
Question Ryobi 10" compound miter saw trouble

Hello all. Well, I bought a used Ryobi miter saw off of Craigslist. Paid $60. It had a relatively new blade, and looked to be in good shape. I was happy with the purchase as I made about 2 dozen cuts before it had a problem or two (simultaneously). The brake stopped working, and the blade takes a minute to start spinning after compressing the trigger, and it does not have much "umph" to it. Everything was going fine until I was cutting into a 2x4 and the blade just stopped. Then all the problems- brake failed, and weak power- began. I had it plugged into a power strip that was attached to an extension cord which I worry may have been the cause. I plugged it into a regular extension cord (the usual way I do it) but the problem did not go away.

My plan is to check the brushes and make sure the blade is tight. I am actually excited because I will get to learn about how to fix a saw. If it was a new saw I think I would be pretty stressed but since I didn't pay much and I hope all it needs to routine maintenance, I am viewing it as a happy accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2018, 09:36 AM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
What model is the saw? From your description, it sounds like a loose blade nut or a missing washer. Parts for old Ryobi tools can be hard to find. There is one in my town that is knowledgeable and pretty well stocked, but can order almost anything.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-24-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added text
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2018, 12:05 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
it sounds like it may be in the switch. when the blade stopped, did the motor stop also, or just the blade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. I started troubleshooting this morning, and first thing I did was examine the blade bolt. I made the blade tight and that seemed to have fixed the problem. Still have to cut something but I think it's better. Glad it was a cheap fix, haha. I was thinking I would have to replace the brushes (still pretty cheap).

Again, I really appreciate you all's kind help.

TimPa, I believe the motor stopped as well when the blade stopped.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Many power tools are ruined by using too small of extension cord. I hope thatís not your case.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, I have a Ryobi TS and Ryobi only had one wrench for changing the blade. Try http://www.ereplacementparts.com for the needed parts. They had a supply of both wrenches in stock.
This is a good place to find parts that are not available from the factory.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
FWIW, I have a Ryobi TS and Ryobi only had one wrench for changing the blade...
Luckily I had the multi-tool (phillips-head screwdriver and alan wrench in-one) that came with the saw. Not sure if it was an unusual size but sounds like it might have been so i was lucky to have the tool.

Tags
brush, miter saw, motor, ryobi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode