Rustic TV Unit and Shelves. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

View colinmc8's Photo Album My Photos
Rustic TV Unit and Shelves.

Hi everyone,

I just joined here as I have read a few threads and there seems to be some knowledgeable peeps!

Before I start, I'm Colin, I live in Ireland. I'm a Carpenter/Cabinet maker and have some carving experience.

I'm making some rustic furniture for my parents. My Dad had some big pieces of Larch that came off an old boat of his. They measure 15" x 2.5" and are about 16' long.
So some very nice material for this project, there is parts with wood worm but I have tested everything.
There are two alcoves either side of a chimney breast where I am putting floating shelves and base units.

What I would like to ask you guys is:

What sort of techniques or styles of "rustifying" is there? I have done a project once for a small Chestnut door where I used a gouge to scollop out a rustic look, then went over it with a wire brush attachment in my drill then finally some antique wax. This took a lot of time for the size of it.

With the shelves I have, I beveled the front edge and went over it with a heavy sanding attachment in my angle grinder. Some of the shelves have wood worm damage quite deep in parts and I have cleaned these out with the wire brush. This leaves a great look,lots of ridges and very rustic looking. However this kind of obligates me to have the cupboard doors and everything else to look similar and this is my main challenge.

Ok so I've gone on for quite a bit here, basically what I'm looking for is a method our some examples of how to make the not so rustic parts look like the rustic parts or a way to unify them :-)

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 AM
Rustic furniture

View Da Aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
Some even beat the wood with chains, and then there is the finishing techniques.

Welcome aboard Fellow Irish!
post #3 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I know of this method but I don't think I could inflict that sort of abuse to my furniture lol.
I was in Barcelona for a few years and a cabinet maker there explained to me how he used a blow torch and wire brush to create a rustic effect.
Does anyone know how to create that sort of ridged grain effect? Looks like the wood has been wire brushed but on a very soft wood. A wire brush wouldn't be able to make that deep a ridge in the wood I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 PM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Colin and welcome.

Maybe this will help.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
post #5 of 10 Old 05-04-2013, 05:10 AM

View Tommie Hockett's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Aardvark View Post
Some even beat the wood with chains, and then there is the finishing techniques.

Welcome aboard Fellow Irish!

I did this on a table I built once... the legs of the table that is and it is actually kind of fun, just be careful it hurts when you hit the wood judt right and the chain snaps back at ya.

"Courage is not knowing about when to take a life, but knowing when to spare it."
post #6 of 10 Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

A handheld propane or MAPP torch will burn away the softer grain first. You will get the hang of the type of flame, distance from the subject, and speed of movement. You could also strike the wood with various blunt objects, or make embossing marks. You can break the continuous squared edges of the wood with small scallops the may appear to give the wood the old "worn" look.

This is one of my first experiments in the early 70's, with "distressing", and made several samples for customer approval.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the posts, I have been moving forward with the doors. They are raised panel framed doors, 8 in total. I had a test today with an old stiff wire brush attachment for my angle grinder and it pretty much gave the effect Im looking for. I was doing some research online and there is industrial wire brush fittings for making wood rustic, here is where I found it http://www.flap-wheels.com/Twisted-S...e-p/ts-300.htm. This Is very expensive though Ill see if I can find a new one for my grinder.
I`ll put on some pics when I have things more organized!! you know how things can get in the shop!! lol (garage actually)

Thanks again everyone!

Ok I just put up some photos of the doors (only dry fit yet). Ill put some photos of the shelves maybe on Monday (Im fishing tomorrow!)

Last edited by colinmc8; 05-04-2013 at 04:37 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Success!

Hi again,

I am having good results with my doors now.

This is the effect I was trying to achieve, Happy days!

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...2-imag0156.jpg
post #9 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmc8 View Post
Hi again,

I am having good results with my doors now.

This is the effect I was trying to achieve, Happy days!

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...2-imag0156.jpg
Looks very good.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely a cool look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode