Rust prevention preference - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 11-16-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

View mccallumjoe@yahoo.co's Photo Album My Photos
Rust prevention preference

Ahoy out there! I recently saw a small article in a magazine arguing for the merits of Bora Metalguard for rust prevention. I am certainly in favor of preventing rust, and maybe this stuff is as perfect as it claims. However, the 2 reviews I read on amazon made it sound like it was a bit of a letdown. So I figured that I would ask around these parts to see what people's preferences are for preventing rust. For my part, I like white lithium grease for long term rust prevention like my vise in the garage. For shorter term rust prevention I don't yet have a favorite, but I find that I use WD-40, and 3 in 1 oil. I'm sure that there are some better products out there, but these have done ok for me. But I want to know about the better products! I sometimes hear about Camellia oil, but it seems a bit expensive for what it is. If I were certain that it out performed the stuff I currently use, I'd probably get some. Same thing for the Bora Metalguard, but I just am not sure.

So what stuff do you people like? Also, have you ever tried something that really let you down?

To clarify, I am not interested in rust preventing practices like covering your tools, or sanding out old rust. I am interested in products that can prevent rust from happening in the first place. So let's imagine that I have a brand new bench chisel without a spot on it. How do I keep it that way? Assuming that I use it around once a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-16-2015, 03:45 PM

View misterextreme's Photo Album My Photos
I really like Top Saver Rust Remover and Lubricant by Empire. I was given some when I purchased my jointer second hand. The only issue is that it is getting harder and harder to find. Fortunately I just bought a new bottle that should last a long time
post #3 of 17 Old 11-16-2015, 05:56 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
For a bench chisel I'd use either paste wax or an oil that wouldn't interfere with a finish. I think most people use Camilla oil, but I've never bothered with it, the wax works for me. For most any other tool surface, table saw tops, jointer tables and the like, more paste wax.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (12-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM

View LostHasher's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I'd use either paste wax or an oil that wouldn't interfere with a finish.
I'm a third-generation paste wax fan. I never knew if my rust-free tools were due to the wax, or because I'm so careful with them.

--Please avoid WD-40 for proactive rust prevention.
--3-in-1 can leave a residue after it sits a while. Not good for intricate moving parts. That's why I cherish my bottle of sewing machine oil.

I just got done restoring a bunch of yard tools. Since I had the honing/sharpening stone oil in hand, I just rubbed some fresh stuff all over the shiny metal. Curious to see if it works as well as I think it will.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-18-2015, 02:32 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
For drawers, you can get vapour strips. I have a metal shed and am thinking of getting a dehumidifier.
johnep
post #6 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 01:47 AM

View rockindel1's Photo Album My Photos
I have been using on my bench planes and chisels etc for years a product called "Autosol" it was developed about 80 years ago for polishing metal and preventing rust for German automotive manufacturers it is a white paste you polish on , does not leave residue on wood , and literally prevents rust, i usually reapply about every 1 -5 years depending how often I use the tool . You can usuallly find it at sutomotive supply stores or "lee Valey tools , good luck
post #7 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 08:49 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ahoy out there! I recently saw a small article in a magazine arguing for the merits of Bora Metalguard for rust prevention. I am certainly in favor of preventing rust, and maybe this stuff is as perfect as it claims. However, the 2 reviews I read on amazon made it sound like it was a bit of a letdown. So I figured that I would ask around these parts to see what people's preferences are for preventing rust. For my part, I like white lithium grease for long term rust prevention like my vise in the garage. For shorter term rust prevention I don't yet have a favorite, but I find that I use WD-40, and 3 in 1 oil. I'm sure that there are some better products out there, but these have done ok for me. But I want to know about the better products! I sometimes hear about Camellia oil, but it seems a bit expensive for what it is. If I were certain that it out performed the stuff I currently use, I'd probably get some. Same thing for the Bora Metalguard, but I just am not sure.

So what stuff do you people like? Also, have you ever tried something that really let you down?

To clarify, I am not interested in rust preventing practices like covering your tools, or sanding out old rust. I am interested in products that can prevent rust from happening in the first place. So let's imagine that I have a brand new bench chisel without a spot on it. How do I keep it that way? Assuming that I use it around once a week.
i use this stuff and have no rust at all , i live in florida 10 miles from the ocean you can get this at sears also the link http://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-BOES.../dp/B001M0A1EW
post #8 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 11:40 AM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
My shop gets damp sometimes and the cast iron will rust. I've never seen any rust on my chisels, though. I don't wax or treat them, and don't see it as an issue.

For the cast iron, I use renaissance wax and the Boeshield that del schliser linked to. I don't consider either to be miracle products. I think almost any wax or petroleum product will protect the surface. Nothing rusts if it's covered in wax or oil, but you either need to clean it off before use or clean it off the wood after.

It's not hard to clean off surface rust and probably less costly and labor intensive than trying to meticulously prevent any rust from ever happening. I'm not saying neglect your tools. I'm just saying a quick coat of wax and a light spray( ofBoeshield or another petroleum spray) may not prevent all rust, but it will be just fine.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-03-2015, 10:44 AM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
I just applied WD-40 dry lube on my new tablesaw..... Left it on a day, then wiped it down....
There's still a film left.... We'll see, over time, if it works.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Oakwerks For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (12-03-2015)
post #10 of 17 Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 AM

View USMCGRUNT's Photo Album My Photos
I have been using LPS-2 on my tools for a few years and seems to be working great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to USMCGRUNT For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (12-03-2015)
post #11 of 17 Old 12-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Rust prevention preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHasher View Post
I'm a third-generation paste wax fan. I never knew if my rust-free tools were due to the wax, or because I'm so careful with them.

--Please avoid WD-40 for proactive rust prevention.

--3-in-1 can leave a residue after it sits a while. Not good for intricate moving parts. That's why I cherish my bottle of sewing machine oil.

I just got done restoring a bunch of yard tools. Since I had the honing/sharpening stone oil in hand, I just rubbed some fresh stuff all over the shiny metal. Curious to see if it works as well as I think it will.

Fine Woodworking test results place WD 40 as one of the top products for rust prevention. They didn't find paste wax to be of much help. WD 40, it's the only product I use here in the sub tropics.

Al

Last edited by Al B Thayer; 12-03-2015 at 02:29 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-03-2015, 03:37 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I've gone through a string of flannel rags (aka pyjama parts) each with a bunch of drips of 3-in-1 machine oil soaked in. Every wipe-down, I'm hoping, leaves a film of oil. Add a couple of drops next time.

Mind you, I'm talking shotguns. I never got around to spending anywhere near as much on wood shop tools! 12 shotguns in the past 50 years, rain, snow or shine, and not a speck of rust anywhere.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-04-2015, 10:46 PM

View LostHasher's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
Fine Woodworking test results place WD 40 as one of the top products for rust prevention. They didn't find paste wax to be of much help. WD 40, it's the only product I use here in the sub tropics.

Al
Good to know. I have a batch of tools here that need a little TLC. Won't be paste wax then. I really hate WD-40, but at least I can give it more credit now.

I'll pick another product from the suggestions here and see what happens.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHasher View Post
Good to know. I have a batch of tools here that need a little TLC. Won't be paste wax then. I really hate WD-40, but at least I can give it more credit now.

I'll pick another product from the suggestions here and see what happens.

What's to hate about WD-40? Water Displacement is its number one use.

Al

post #15 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

View mccallumjoe@yahoo.co's Photo Album My Photos
I love WD-40 and I use their other products like the white lithium spray they have. The only complaint I have against WD-40 is that it's kind of thin and doesn't seem to be as effective for longer term rust prevention. For example, I sprayed some of my tools with WD-40 and left them in my garage over the winter. After several month of no use, the tools had some dust (mostly sawdust) on them and a small amount of rust underneath. I assume that the rust came from the water contained in the sawdust, but I guess I'm not entirely sure. I also used a thicker white lithium spray on some tools, and they were fine despite having some sawdust on them. I wouldn't exactly call my conclusion scientific, but it convinced me that WD-40 isn't as good at longer term protection. Maybe that was just my experience though. For shorter term protection I think that WD-40 is awesome though and I use it constantly.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
What's to hate about WD-40? Water Displacement is its number one use.

Al
And good for your joints when sprayed on your wrist and elbows.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-06-2015, 10:33 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I have never had any trouble with rust except for my lathe. I don't leave anything on the tops especially green saw dust and they don't rust. After taking a shower from turning green wood on the lathe I give it another bath in WD40. Getting glue on a cast iron top even if you wipe it off causes rust in my experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode