Routing Doug Fir - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

View JCMeyersIV's Photo Album My Photos
Routing Doug Fir

So the double addy chair is at a hault aging because I got a new project I'm getting paid to do. It's a swing frame for a hanging love seat. They requested fir and I was going to either chamfer or round over the edges as well as use my lettering templates to put the last name in it. My issue? Routing fir is hard I hear because it's vertical grain. One of my coworkers told me to work WITH the rotation of the router while following the grain. Sounds hard and dangerous. Any suggestions?

"If you don't want to wear chaps, that's fine with me I wouldn't in this heat either, just be careful. The crazy part is: it's 97 degrees out and youre wearing blue jeans. I don't see why you refuse to just wear shorts if you don't want chaps. Jeans are not going to stop a chainsaw from ruining your day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-27-2012, 05:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you mean running the router backwards you can get mixed results. Often it will do fine but sometimes it can cause the router bit to come out causing a deeper cut than what you wanted. You would be better off using a good sharp router bit and routing forward with it in multiple passes adjusting the depth each time. You can reduce the blowout if you watch the grain of the wood and route the edge with a favorable grain direction. You really shouldn't have much trouble with a chamfer or a round over cut anyway.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
JCMeyersIV (03-27-2012)
post #3 of 10 Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMeyersIV View Post
So the double addy chair is at a hault aging because I got a new project I'm getting paid to do. It's a swing frame for a hanging love seat. They requested fir and I was going to either chamfer or round over the edges as well as use my lettering templates to put the last name in it. My issue? Routing fir is hard I hear because it's vertical grain. One of my coworkers told me to work WITH the rotation of the router while following the grain. Sounds hard and dangerous. Any suggestions?
Douglas Fir routs fairly easy and isn't that hard. On the Janka Scale it's 660, while Red Oak is 1290. I would only use carbide tipped bits. Handheld routing should be from left to right (as you're feeding). "Climb cutting" (routing right to left handheld) would lessen tear out if that's what's happening...especially on end grain.

Climb cutting versus regular cutting.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
JCMeyersIV (03-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM

View Matt tennessen's Photo Album My Photos
Plus one on what's been said already. Tear out is probably the issue your friend was referring to. Because of the grain, the chips from tear out can get pretty large.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
You should identify the predominant grain pattern like Steve Neul drew, not only with fir but with every species and every cut, router, planer, jointer, shaper. The only time it's not necessary is when using a saw. In those rare instances when you need to do a climb cut, you also have to work with the grain direction. It's usually the grain direction that determines how you have to make a cut. Go against it and the probability of tear out is almost guaranteed. End grain is different. You may get tear out on the exit when you rout across it in the normal way, against the rotation of the bit. That is often removed if the cut also goes down the edge afterwards. Otherwise, you use a backer piece. A climb cut on end grain can still give you tear out and/or burning.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok getting ready to route tonight and I might have missed this one buuuuut... Bit speed? High or low?

"If you don't want to wear chaps, that's fine with me I wouldn't in this heat either, just be careful. The crazy part is: it's 97 degrees out and youre wearing blue jeans. I don't see why you refuse to just wear shorts if you don't want chaps. Jeans are not going to stop a chainsaw from ruining your day."
post #7 of 10 Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Old School

Quote:
Ok getting ready to route tonight and I might have missed this one buuuuut... Bit speed? High or low?
What bit(s) are you using, and what speeds does your router have. More than likely it will be full speed...whatever that is, unless you have a large diameter bit, and the router has speed selection.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

It's max is 22000. I'm using a 1 3/8" 45 degree chamfer 1/4" shank.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Old School

Quote:
It's max is 22000. I'm using a 1 3/8" 45 degree chamfer 1/4" shank.
I would run it at that speed.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

I misspoke its 24000. I took your advice and it came out great! No chunks or tear outs or anything. Love my new 2.25hp dewalt! Didn't struggle a bit. My old 1.75hp craftsman would probably crapped its pants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode