Router table or Shaper - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

View harvest's Photo Album My Photos
Router table or Shaper

Which do you prefer router table or shaper? I bought a Summerfeld router table a while back and not sure if I like it still. I'm new to making doors with it and having a hard time trying to cope even on it. The fence has a pin at one end and the other adjustable with a knob to tighten it down. You square it up with a straight edge like a metal ruler off the bearing on a bit.

Really can't run a coping jig on it as the fence is not straight with the edges in the aluminum table. I've tried using a push block with a board attached to it. First door did not come out to bad but not good enough either. Remember your first one lol.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 03:11 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
Router Table - Bits are cheaper, with more variety and easier to find than cutters.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 03:14 PM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
Rail and style bits have a bearing. What that means is the stock rides up against the bearing so you should be in good shape making cabinet doors.

Now whether a shaper would be better then a router table, it depends. Both have their advantages and disadvantages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 PM

View MattS's Photo Album My Photos
Ymmv - you can get reasonably cheap cutter heads for smaller spindle shapers, but most of those have such small tables that you barely gain any advantage over a high HP router. I have an old delta shaper I love using, but it's only a marginal improvement over a good router table.

You already noticed one of the challenges - that the miter slot isn't really parallel to the fence ever. I don't know how to combat that personally, so I end up just placing the face of the fence slightly off-square so it doesn't drag as I run a miter gage for end-cuts on rail & stile joints. They work fine, but it's certainly funky.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
You already noticed one of the challenges - that the miter slot isn't really parallel to the fence ever. I don't know how to combat that personally, so I end up just placing the face of the fence slightly off-square so it doesn't drag as I run a miter gage for end-cuts on rail & stile joints. They work fine, but it's certainly funky.
Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but I don't really understand the problem.

For the long edges, as stated it rides the bearing on the bit and the fence can be aligned flush, but at any angle, right?

For edge coping the ends of the rails, you use the miter gauge, right? I've always just used a sacrificial back up board on the miter gauge and set the end of the workpiece flush to the end of it (no fence contact).

I've never used a combination of fence and miter gauge at the same time. I've also never used a coping jig. I guess I just don't understand why a round bit spinning laterally would ever care about parallelism...
post #6 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 04:13 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
I'm amazed to see you guys recommending a router table over a shaper for cope and stick joinery."a Advantages and disadvantages"? Where are the disadvantages of a shaper with a 1 1/4
spindle that is designed for large cutters at slower speeds to make these cuts?With a power feed? Air ride coping jig?Shapers were designed for this work.More powerful ,accurate and faster for cope and stick.How can you consider a router equal for this?
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (08-18-2015)
post #7 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
for cope and stick.How can you consider a router equal for this?
To clarify - my preference is not specific to any operation. I could have purchased a small shaper for what I have into my table, lift and router. I chose the router setup because it is a more versatile tool, IMO.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
Nick :I understand that completely and think it's a very wise choice for your use.Just can't believe the opinions of these guys when asked this question without any details.
I think they are comparing apples to oranges as far as shapers go and I still disagree. The question was on cope and stick joinery and the shaper is a far superior tool for that operation.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 04:43 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
General shop tool, router table.

For a shop making a lot of doors, shaper.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 04:48 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
Im sure a shaper is the bees knees for making doors. If thats all you do...

Or if you have money/space to have both.

but for most weekend warriors, the router will be more flexible IMO.

I keep a feather board on the fence to hold it down and just push it though... a coping sled wouldnt be missed though... I generally use 6" stock, cope the ends, then rip it. when its 6" I find theres enough material to just index against the fence. Otherwise I have to use a push block.
post #11 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDIY View Post
For edge coping the ends of the rails, you use the miter gauge, right? I've always just used a sacrificial back up board on the miter gauge and set the end of the workpiece flush to the end of it (no fence contact).
Yes - and I think that's where my challenge has been in the past. I don't want a rounded over corner on my workpiece by accidentally starting the cut too deep, but it is really hard to figure out how far out to place that sacrificial board / fence face to get it set right against my miter gauge.

I may be overthinking it or just not seeing an obvious way. I run a few pieces of scrap through until I get it set right then I'm all set to run out all of my cuts. It isn't a major deal, just annoying that there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to make my fence parallel to my miter slot.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
The question was on cope and stick joinery and the shaper is a far superior tool for that operation.
I took it different, I guess. I thought it was a general which do you prefer with a by-the-way about the specific joinery. I guess it's just in how you read it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
Yes - and I think that's where my challenge has been in the past. I don't want a rounded over corner on my workpiece by accidentally starting the cut too deep, but it is really hard to figure out how far out to place that sacrificial board / fence face to get it set right against my miter gauge.
I hog out most of the waste in several passes. When I'm down to the last pass, I grip down firmly, plunge cut the piece into the bearing and carefully climb cut it out. I shut the router off, put the piece back onto the bit for alignment and screw the scrap to the gauge. Since this edge hits the bearing precisely, all I ever do is manually align the workpiece to this edge.

Plunging and climb cutting this way probably aren't the safest things in the world, but on my equipment, this feels comfortable to me. Maybe not so on a little portable router table or a dinky miter gauge...
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDIY For This Useful Post:
MattS (08-18-2015)
post #13 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

View harvest's Photo Album My Photos
I seem to have a problem with coping lately and not getting it straight even. Was thinking maybe a coping jig might be helpful. Now that I have this Somerfeld router table just don't seem to happy with it. I'm running a Triton 3 1/4 hp router under it. Nice thing with this router is I don't need the holder to raise and lower it as its built in to fine adjust it. I just don't like the fence being uneven as it hooks up.

Maybe I'll try a jig. Would love to have a shaper too.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDIY View Post
I took it different, I guess. I thought it was a general which do you prefer with a by-the-way about the specific joinery. I guess it's just in how you read it...

I hog out most of the waste in several passes. When I'm down to the last pass, I grip down firmly, plunge cut the piece into the bearing and carefully climb cut it out. I shut the router off, put the piece back onto the bit for alignment and screw the scrap to the gauge. Since this edge hits the bearing precisely, all I ever do is manually align the workpiece to this edge.

Plunging and climb cutting this way probably aren't the safest things in the world, but on my equipment, this feels comfortable to me. Maybe not so on a little portable router table or a dinky miter gauge...
I might try your approach some time - I don't take multiple passes with my shaper, I just hog it all out in one single pass and it handles it easily for the stuff I'm doing (just poplar 3/4 for rail/stile doors, so it's pretty easy cutting). Thanks for the detail, that is helpful and useful!
post #15 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
General shop tool, router table.

For a shop making a lot of doors, shaper.
Good, simple, straight forward answer.

Most of us are in the General Shop Tool category.

George
post #16 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 06:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Shaper. But that depends on the shaper. I have a Grizzly shaper I don't care for and is gathering rust and cob webs. Then I have a Northfield shaper which is one of the best investments I every made. You can buy shaper steel and cut and grind your own designs of molding or even copy some old obsolete molding you can't buy anymore. It has enough power you can run cabinet door panels in one pass and run panels all day without it overheating.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Shaper. Tooling is not that expensive, shaper is way more versatile then a router table.

I don't make cope and stick cabinet doors either.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
depends on your shop

For a home shop, without question... router in a table with a lift. I have 3 of them.

For a production shop making lots of cabinets with thicker material, doors, moldings,.... 3 HP shaper or larger.

I have a small 1 HP shaper, an old Craftsman, rarely used.
I set it up "permanently" with a glue joint cutter. If I were joining a lot of 3/4" boards, I'd use it way more.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #19 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 08:43 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
I think a shaper should have at least a 7.5hp motor......

I do quite a bit of shaping to a pattern, curved parts and such.

Some parts are 4" thick.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I have both but do use the router table more now that I don't make cabinets and a lot of raised panel doors.

The shaper is much better for panel doors. For one the cutters are full sized. On the router they are smaller and don't look as nice. I used a router on a shaker style because it didn't require a raised panel.

If you don't have a good router lift, table and fence your going to chase the settings more and be far more frustrated dialing it in. You may not even notice slight slippage or flexing that gives you undesirable results.

Shaper cutters run slower because they have 3 knives and a larger diameter giving you a higher tip speed.

Some cuts on a router table can't be done on a shaper.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode