Router table for my table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

View avewads's Photo Album My Photos
Router table for my table saw

Hello,

I just wanted to show you my new router table that I made on on the extension of my table saw. I didn't put in a router insert yet but that is something I plan on doing in the near future. But, since I have some projects that I am going to need the router for, I thought I would just drill a hole for now. I am also planning on routing out a groove and installing a miter channel on the table itself for feather boards, etc.

The table is made out of 1 inch mdf and is bolted onto the table cross piece extension on the far right side and I had to drill and bolt a piece of aluminum "L" bracket to the table saws extension table. I made the router table fence out of some left over 1/2 in plywood and left over mdf. I made the fence to fit snugly over the table saw fence and added the dust port. I tried it out and it worked like I had hoped but the dust port worked fantastic. I just did a quick round over bit test but the vacuum sucked up all the saw dust. I was very impressed with that. My vacuum is a Rigid 5-gal shop vac. - Bob

Router table for my table saw-2012-12-26_17-02-05_617-resize.jpg

Router table for my table saw-2012-12-26_17-02-30_173-resize.jpg

Router table for my table saw-2012-12-26_17-03-07_404-resize.jpg

Router table for my table saw-2012-12-26_17-03-43_840-resize.jpg

p.s. This is my first attempt at posting pictures, I hope it works.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to avewads For This Useful Post:
jeffsw6 (12-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Outstanding man. Looks like it'll work!
The Following User Says Thank You to rayking49 For This Useful Post:
avewads (12-27-2012)
post #3 of 14 Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM

View JerseyDog's Photo Album My Photos
Avewabs
That's a good looking router extension table. I want to build one for my TS. This might be to much to ask for but can you take a picture without the table extension in order to see how the support is connected to TS. If not i understand thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyDog For This Useful Post:
avewads (01-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Looks good. Fence pickup is pretty efficient for dust collection except when doing dados or grooves with a straight bit. The dirt just shoots out the open end of the groove. Haven't quite figured out how to handle that yet. The Oak Park plate (no longer sold) had an opening on the outfeed side for a vacuum pickup that seemed to work pretty well.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
avewads (01-03-2013)
post #5 of 14 Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM

View Goat Locker's Photo Album My Photos
Great idea, I was going to do the same thing but since we remodeled the kitchen i used the old cabinets in the garage and made a rolling 7ft router table out of my old work bench. The one thing I will tell you is dont bother with a router plate! Save your pennies and by a router lift. Finally caved and got the Rockler brand one and now I am wondering why the heck I did not do it sooner. With the router under a table it is always a pain changing bits or just about doing anything. A lift is a great time and frustration saver
The Following User Says Thank You to Goat Locker For This Useful Post:
avewads (01-03-2013)
post #6 of 14 Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM

Hey goat locker
Thanks for the heads up on the router lift. I have been buying tools little by little and my first one was a ridgid r4512 TS. I want to attach a router to the right side. I don't have a router yet so i'll take my time.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

@JerseyDog - It can be removed but it would be a pain in <beep>. However, I will take and post some good pictures of the underside in the next few days to show you what I did and hopefully that will help.

I was going to get was a router plate so my router would be high enough to properly seat my router bits in the collett but I found this http://www.amazon.com/Router-Technologies-EX-2080-Professional/dp/B000EXQ2FA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=35NU91PJKGPHV&coliid=I2320GCJKRXT05 that I am going use instead for a while.

- Bob
post #8 of 14 Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDog View Post
Hey goat locker
Thanks for the heads up on the router lift. I have been buying tools little by little and my first one was a ridgid r4512 TS. I want to attach a router to the right side. I don't have a router yet so i'll take my time.
Get the router first and then decide on a lift. I have a Freud 3000 that has the lift built in. Triton and some Milwaukees also have built in lifts.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #9 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Jschaben
I have to buy a router because i'm in the process of gathering parts to build a cnc machine. Maybe I could get one that could be easely interchange between machine.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDog View Post
Jschaben
I have to buy a router because i'm in the process of gathering parts to build a cnc machine. Maybe I could get one that could be easely interchange between machine.
If your still in the design stage of the cnc, you might try to incorporated the router you get into the design. Shop built CNC's typically just use the motor, not the base.

@avewads - I've had pretty dismal luck with bit extensions in the table. Usually they stick up to far to make the initial cuts safely so there may be a range of cut depths that are problematic. Also, a MLCS plate is about 1/2 the cost of that extension. Depending on the router, you may be able to use a bent wrench to get to the flats on the armature shaft. The Tritons, some Freuds, some Porter Cables, some Milwaukees and most of the new Craftsman routers have long enough armature shafts to get above the table for bit changes.

John

post #11 of 14 Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben

@avewads - I've had pretty dismal luck with bit extensions in the table. Usually they stick up to far to make the initial cuts safely so there may be a range of cut depths that are problematic. Also, a MLCS plate is about 1/2 the cost of that extension. Depending on the router, you may be able to use a bent wrench to get to the flats on the armature shaft. The Tritons, some Freuds, some Porter Cables, some Milwaukees and most of the new Craftsman routers have long enough armature shafts to get above the table for bit changes.
Thanks for the input. I will look for those routers to see if they will work for my setup. -Bob
post #12 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by avewads View Post
Thanks for the input. I will look for those routers to see if they will work for my setup. -Bob
Hi Bob here is one of the Craftsman I'm pretty sure will go above the table for you
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-am...lockType=G2#sf

If you look at the fixed base, the red knob adjusts the height and I believe that the shaft it's attached to extends down through the base plate and has a hex on the bottom end. That will allow you to do above table height adjustments. If you can get to a Sears store, double check that.

John

post #13 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben

Hi Bob here is one of the Craftsman I'm pretty sure will go above the table for you
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-am...lockType=G2#sf

If you look at the fixed base, the red knob adjusts the height and I believe that the shaft it's attached to extends down through the base plate and has a hex on the bottom end. That will allow you to do above table height adjustments. If you can get to a Sears store, double check that.
You and I think very much alike as I was looking at that one this morning. A great price too. I'm going to go to Sears after the Colts vs Ravens game to take a closer look at it and hopefully buy it. Thanks - Bob
post #14 of 14 Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Jschaben
Yes, I'm still in the designing stage and was considering getting a router that easly comes apart to mount on the cnc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode