Router Table Fence Mount Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

View minuteman62-64's Photo Album My Photos
Router Table Fence Mount Question

Been looking at some router table plans and the ready-to-go tables at Rockler. I notice a "T" track (or combo track) in the long direction, for miter gauge/hold-downs/etc., seems to be pretty standard, but the fence hold-downs seem to be "T" bolts in slots that go all the way through the table.

Any reason why I couldn't use "T" track and "T" bolts to mount the fence also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
No reason I can see not to do that and I've seen several manufactured tops using that configuration including this one..

http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/202...FStyQgodYVsAmA
post #3 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I would advise against using a "T" track to hold the fence in place.

Getting the front 'hold down' tack very close to parallel with the fence is important, most of the jigs that you build will be square to the fence. The jig will ride in the track and you'll square it to the fence. If the fence can move (As with a "T" track) it will and that will cause difficulty with your jigs.

Besides, bolts through the table top are cheaper and probably much better.

It's not to say you can't, just there are better alternatives.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Bolt through because you won't be moving it great distances.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I had one fence that used the bolt through method and very shortly changed it to t-tracks. Just easier for me to adjust and remove the fence when necessary. Any jigs I have made that use the miter track incorporate their own fence. That way there is no independent variable for controlling the stock position relative to the bit. JMHO but using a fence in conjunction with the miter track is an inherently bad idea, be it on a table saw or a router table.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #6 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

View minuteman62-64's Photo Album My Photos
Appreciate the input guys.

Want to make sure we're all on the same page. My issue is the bolts that hold the fence to the table - and whether there's any issue with using "T" track vs. slots that go all the way through the table.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why the fence would move if clamped down on "T" track but wouldn't move if clamped down on slots going through the table (or routed "T" slots as used on Norm's table).

My interest in the "T" track is because I'm thinking of a torsion box table where through slots would be more difficult to form than they would on a solid table.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteman62-64 View Post
Appreciate the input guys.

Want to make sure we're all on the same page. My issue is the bolts that hold the fence to the table - and whether there's any issue with using "T" track vs. slots that go all the way through the table.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why the fence would move if clamped down on "T" track but wouldn't move if clamped down on slots going through the table (or routed "T" slots as used on Norm's table).

My interest in the "T" track is because I'm thinking of a torsion box table where through slots would be more difficult to form than they would on a solid table.
I don't have any issues with the fence moving when clamped in a t-track. I do use the commercial, aluminum extruded tracks from Rockler/peachtree/etc. Routed in t-tracks will have a tendency to wear out with the frequency of the loosen/tighten cycles of a fence.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #8 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteman62-64 View Post
Been looking at some router table plans and the ready-to-go tables at Rockler. I notice a "T" track (or combo track) in the long direction, for miter gauge/hold-downs/etc., seems to be pretty standard, but the fence hold-downs seem to be "T" bolts in slots that go all the way through the table.

Any reason why I couldn't use "T" track and "T" bolts to mount the fence also?
check out this site, http://www.oak-park.com/ and join the http://www.routerforums.com/

this site is all about routers and tables ect, the best ever bob and rick has been doing router for yrs, now but are retiring, but the members know about how to do router's work ect i been a member 2006 and have the router workshop router table with out all the T stuff and can build any thing with out all the other item's, thanks for looking del

Last edited by del schisler; 05-09-2013 at 09:46 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM

View amalina's Photo Album My Photos
My router table

I built my router table from scratch. I gleaned from other designs but ultimately built my own. I will post pictures later (at work right now).

I built the table much higher and bigger than most. Reason for higher is simple, I am 6'5" and bending down was not comfortable. Bigger so I could handle my Incra fence and do large panels.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
When I made my router table, I used t-tracks and t-bolts. I can take it all the way off, and move it all I want. I like the tracks better. just me.

My father was my inspiration for woodworking, wish he was still around for more advice. Luv ya Dad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode