Router question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

View clpead's Photo Album My Photos
I am going to go on a little shopping spree here in the next few weeks.

Sawstop
Earlex(?) hvlp sprayer
Leigh super 18 w/accessory
And a router

I want a router with a 1/2" collet. Thought I wanted a plunge/fixed combo. After some reading I'm not sure. I don't know how much I would really use the plunge function.

Any suggestions from your experiences with the Leigh dt jig and other general experiences.

I ran across this review: http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...orking/4230661 does this seem accurate. I did find a review about the Bosch about the base being difficult to center??? But the majority was good. Every product has negative reviews online.

Thanks

Aaron Davies

Last edited by clpead; 01-30-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 PM

View Duane Bledsoe's Photo Album My Photos
I'd get a plunge base since I can use it to plunge cut mortises. Also, cutting holes in the center of a board, or anywhere back from the edge. What about sign making? You might not do any of this stuff but I wouldn't want to be limited in not being able to. Recently, a plunge router made cutting stopped dadoes very easy for me.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Bledsoe
I'd get a plunge base since I can use it to plunge cut mortises. Also, cutting holes in the center of a board, or anywhere back from the edge. What about sign making? You might not do any of this stuff but I wouldn't want to be limited in not being able to. Recently, a plunge router made cutting stopped dadoes very easy for me.
That's true. I really like the looks of the Bosch. I was originally looking at the triton at woodcraft but the reviews were mostly negative.

Aaron Davies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpead View Post
That's true. I really like the looks of the Bosch. I was originally looking at the triton at woodcraft but the reviews were mostly negative.
The Bosch 1617 has been around awhile. Initially they had problems with dust getting into the power switch and making it inoperable but that has been taken care of, for at least 5 years now. The 1617 is pretty highly regarded on most forums. The Bosch MRC23 is their newest and most powerful offering. Rated at 2.3 HP it is also a 15 Amp machine which puts it in a power class with the 3+ HP machines. Other good ones are Porter Cable, Milwaukee and Hitachi.
As far as the base goes, I prefer a kit so I have both options but, if I had to choose, I would go with the plunge. You can do anything with the plunge base you can with the fixed base plus all the plunge type jobs that cannot be done or are a safety issue with a fixed base.
Would be helpful to know what kind of plans you have for it.. hand held, table mounted, cnc mounted ... etc.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Both handheld and table mounted. I'll be using on the Leigh dt jig. I make a little bit of everything. Getting into furniture and cabinets.

Aaron Davies
post #6 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 AM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
bosch or porter cable and you cant go wrong.

eventually you'll use the plunge base. maybe not today or tomorrow -- but you will.

get the combo.

i have the pc and like it

build it right or not at all
post #7 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I would also suggest looking at the Milwaukee 5616 combo kit. What I like best about it is the ability to center the base using an included centering cone. It also comes with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets (not a split ring adapter). Should you need a table mounted router, this 5616 has built in through the base adjustment, no lift needed.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #8 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

I have looked at Bosch, PC, Milwaukee and Hitachi quite about now and think I'm leaning toward the Hitachi. All four look good, each one has something better or worse than the other one and all have good reviews. For the money and what is included, I don't think I can go wrong with the Hitachi. Plus that would leave some more money for more clamps.

Decisions Decisions!!!

Thanks for the responses.

Aaron Davies
post #9 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Someone just pointed out to me to think about future accessories and that PC dominates the router world so everything should fit without adapters. Does anyone disagree with this statement and why?

Aaron Davies
post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
I <3 the smell of sawdust

View JohnnyTooBad's Photo Album My Photos
I'd suggest multiple routers. A lightweight fixed base router for freehand work and a bigger plunge router. I just bought the Triton 3.25hp plunge router for putting in a table, and I really like it. It's definitely a bit big and heavy for freehand work and the base doesn't slide all that well, but that doesn't matter for mounting to a table. For freehand work, I use a DeWalt 1.5hp fixed base. They are very common and work really well. I see them used on CL all the time.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
John

Quote:
Both handheld and table mounted. I'll be using on the Leigh dt jig. I make a little bit of everything. Getting into furniture and cabinets.
Bosch MRC 23 has plenty of power for any table mounted work. I'm pretty sure the fixed base allows "above table" adjustments (read that as it has it's own lift built in, no need to buy one). You could install the fixed base in the table and reserve the plunge base for hand held use.
The 1617 has slightly less power but should do anything you want on a table also. It has a fixed base option available to provide the above table capability.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #12 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
I am a porter cable router guy. Love em. Have a 1.5 HP that is dedicated to my Leigh super 12 and a 3.25 HP with Electronic variable speed that will do just about anything. Get a plunge base as well as a fixed base, you won't regret it and for the small amount of extra money it will cost it will be totally worth it.

By the way I have had nothing but good experiences with the Leigh DT jig. My only regret is that I didn't buy the 18 or 24

Edit: Also, PC has much better longevity than Hitachi - as far as routers go.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I am going to go on a little shopping spree here in the next few weeks.

Sawstop
Earlex(?) hvlp sprayer
Leigh super 18 w/accessory
And a router

I want a router with a 1/2" collet. Thought I wanted a plunge/fixed combo. After some reading I'm not sure. I don't know how much I would really use the plunge function.

Any suggestions from your experiences with the Leigh dt jig and other general experiences.

I ran across this review: http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...orking/4230661 does this seem accurate. I did find a review about the Bosch about the base being difficult to center??? But the majority was good. Every product has negative reviews online.

Thanks
i would go with a plunge base , for later you never know what may come along, i have the bosch 1617 in my router work shop table and haven't needed for more power, and i also have a couple porter cable 695 with plunge bases and D handle i never used this so far but i have it, also a couple of ryobi's for my dove tale table's , they stay in their so i don't have to change bit's, , al of my router's have 1/4" and 1/2" collet's , i have a 3/8" for the bosch but i don't have any bit's that size, kind of a odd size, you can still find the bit's at some old supply house's at a good price, as far as the Earlex(?) hvlp sprayer , i have a HVLP gun that i bought from a auto supply store that will spray as good as the earlex, depend's how much you are going to spray, i use mine a couple time a week and the clean up is like a min, but i bet the clean up is more on the earlex, i only spray lacquer tho, depend's what you are going to do , good luck on the other item's. as for the saw do what you will but my self i wouldn't go for the saw stop unit, been doing wood working about 50 or so and still have all 10, that doesn't mean any thing . it may save some one at one time . Just because it is safe don't let your guard down, it may fail ?? my 2 cent's
post #14 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
Edit: Also, PC has much better longevity than Hitachi - as far as routers go.
Not so sure about that.. Hitachi comes with a 5 year factory warranty and since Stanley Black & Decker bought out the Porter Cable brand, they ain't your fathers tool anymore.

John

post #15 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben

Not so sure about that.. Hitachi comes with a 5 year factory warranty and since Stanley Black & Decker bought out the Porter Cable brand, they ain't your fathers tool anymore.
Good point. My 3 1/4 horse is 10 years old. It was made in the USA still......
post #16 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM

View Sawdustveins's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 1 3/4 HP Porta-Cable Router (1/4" shank) and a 18" Porta-Cable Dovetail Jig which work together like a charm. I have a spare (old craftsman) and a Porta-Cable trim router that I use whenever I can. Although I have a 3 1-/2 HP Plunge Router that I have mounted in my Router table, I can't remember having the need for a hand held plunge router. Anyway you can't have too many routers.....have fun shopping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode