Router bit Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 01-26-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

View Mysteriouswoodsmen's Photo Album My Photos
Router bit Question

I really appreciate all of the answers I get from all of you guys to my questions. Well here is another query of mine. The question I have is about the router round over bit. How do you know which one to use on X size stock. The smallest stuff I work with is 1/4" and the largest being 3/4" thickness that is. I may be able to answer my own question but read on. I'm looking in the Rockler catalog at the round over bits and they have several different Radius Height Shank. I get the shank part thats what goes inside of the router but the height and Radius kinda have me a little confused. Say I want to put a round over edge on a 3/4" piece of Red Oak. Should I go with the 3/8" height bit or the 3/4" one? I've never really used a router before but like once or twice to mortise for a hinge or two. I've always used my belt sander to put a round edge on my stuff. Sorry for the long read.

I don't think that was suppose to happen
I love to give homemade gifts...........Which of my kids would you like

Your day is about to end when my day begins- Firefighter/EMT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2008, 04:35 PM

View dusty2's Photo Album My Photos
If your routing a round over in say 3/4" stock you want a 3/8" if you want the radius to stop half way thru the 3/4" thickness.
If you want the radius to end at the bottom edge of the stock you want a 3/4" bit. But just a word of caution, you may not want to hog that much stock in one pass. Adjust your bit so you take it in two or more passes. Some of the larger diameter bits should only be used in a router table and not in a hand held router.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 PM

View Buffalo Bilious's Photo Album My Photos
1/8" roundovers will just "ease" the edge... it'll get rid of the sharp edge of the board and save you a bit of sanding, no matter what the stock's thickness is. As you go larger, more wood is removed and the side profile of the board becomes, obviously, more rounded over.

Depth of cut also influences what the finished product looks like.

IMO, It's something you really have to experiment with in order to fully see what they do. Go to town on some scrap wood to discover each bit's abilities... then you'll be able to easily decide which bit to use for the job at hand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode