Rounded bottom holes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By GeorgeC
  • 2 Post By NoThankyou

post #1 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

View Pistol's Photo Album My Photos
Rounded bottom holes

What's the best way to get rounded bottom holes? I've read that you can grind down a spade bit or twist bit....but I'm not clear on the grind profile for adequate cutting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 03:18 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
could you explain your project a little ?
what size and how many holes ? and what kind of wood.
perhaps a drawing or sketch if you have one.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #3 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 03:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Drill the hole first then .....

Use one of these as a follow up to round the bottom..... for what ever your reason is?

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Shank-Co...a-826243573852

Tool Agnostic likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm making salt and pepper shakers. Some weird shape my daughter designed in wood shop.....uh. They have oval shaped holes. Basically like a mortise with rounded corners instead of square. Anyway, she wants the bottoms inside rounded. Of course she would want something that makes no feasible sense, but like a good dad I'm trying anyway. LOL my first though was a box core bit like you would use to make pipes, but they have a little post on the bottom.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 07:16 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
I'm making salt and pepper shakers. Some weird shape my daughter designed in wood shop.....uh. They have oval shaped holes. Basically like a mortise with rounded corners instead of square. Anyway, she wants the bottoms inside rounded. Of course she would want something that makes no feasible sense, but like a good dad I'm trying anyway. LOL my first though was a box core bit like you would use to make pipes, but they have a little post on the bottom.

I hope that y our daughter knows that traditionally salt and pepper shakers have different size holes and a different number of holes in the top. Pepper is larger that salt and needs larger holes to properly come out of the shaker.

For some reason in the past 15 to 20 years it seems that many companies have not been distinguishing between the two. That is why you find these in restaurants and try to get pepper out and it will not come out. I resort to removing the top of the pepper shaker, pouring some in my left hand and then using my right thumb and forefinger to sprinkle on whatever.

George

PS This is one of my pet peeves.
hawkeye10 and JamesTinKS like this.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 07:49 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Pistol: my daughter designed them in wood shop
can you post the design here ?

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 11-19-2019 at 08:07 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

The holes on top will not be oval. They will be round. The hole in the shaker itself where the salt and pepper sit will be oval. The tops (or lids) whatever, will be dovetailed for a friction fit. That way they dont pop off while shaking. And thanks for the tip George. It makes perfect sense, but I have never noticed pepper being larger.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 10:20 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
If you had a lathe making a rounded bottomed hole would be easy. So do you have a lathe?

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately no. I recently acquired a treadmill motor and speed controller that I am going to attempt to use to build one.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 02:14 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
For some reason in the past 15 to 20 years it seems that many companies have not been distinguishing between the two. That is why you find these in restaurants and try to get pepper out and it will not come out. I resort to removing the top of the pepper shaker, pouring some in my left hand and then using my right thumb and forefinger to sprinkle on whatever.
Maybe I've lost my marbles but growing up our pepper shakers had the small holes and salt shakers had the large holes. BUT we used commercial ground pepper from the A&P.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #11 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 09:30 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
Maybe I've lost my marbles but growing up our pepper shakers had the small holes and salt shakers had the large holes. BUT we used commercial ground pepper from the A&P.
My mommy taught me the same thing:
Larger holes = Salt
Smaller holes = Pepper (the pre-ground type that @NoThankyou mentioned)

Salt crystals are larger than pre-ground pepper.

My mommy also taught me that if the holes were equal size, then it was about the number of holes:
More holes = Salt
Fewer holes = Pepper

(I just peeked in our cabinets and my spouse has one set of shakers with equal size holes. She put salt in the 3-hole shaker and pepper in the 2-hole shaker. Another set of shakers has equal holes, but the holes are arranged in "S" and "P" shapes, making it obvious which is which.)

Despite my mother's teaching, I have since learned that regarding the number of holes, the choice varies between families, and there is less commonality. Furthermore, some people deliberately change the custom by putting the salt in the shaker with fewer holes as a modern attempt to cut back on salt for health reasons.

My parents never used pepper on anything. The only people who used pepper were guests, and they would have to ask, since it was not out on the table. To the best of my knowledge, my mother never refilled the pepper shaker, not once in my lifetime, and probably not in hers, either.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 11-20-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 05:41 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"Larger holes = Salt
Smaller holes = Pepper (the pre-ground type that @NoThankyou mentioned)"

I am sorry. That is backward. In general pepper needs larger holes because the pieces are larger. That is why it is so frustrating in restaurants that use one size shaker for both. I have to open the pepper shaker to get the pepper out, which I then pour into my left hand and then use my right thumb and fore finger to take up and sprinkle over my food. Now if you are using sea salt, then the those grains are generally larger.

Go into a kitchen store and look at the better sets of salt and pepper shakers. You will be able t4o see the difference.

George
post #13 of 13 Old 11-21-2019, 10:14 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
"Larger holes = Salt
Smaller holes = Pepper (the pre-ground type that @NoThankyou mentioned)"

I am sorry. That is backward. In general pepper needs larger holes because the pieces are larger. That is why it is so frustrating in restaurants that use one size shaker for both. I have to open the pepper shaker to get the pepper out, which I then pour into my left hand and then use my right thumb and fore finger to take up and sprinkle over my food. Now if you are using sea salt, then the those grains are generally larger.

Go into a kitchen store and look at the better sets of salt and pepper shakers. You will be able t4o see the difference.

George
I learned the salt/pepper shaker convention (salt - larger and more holes, pepper - smaller and fewer holes) from my mother in the 1960s, and there is little doubt that she learned it from her parents. I distinctly remember my mother teaching me the lesson, after I had put pepper on my food as a child, when I wanted salt. It was a large family gathering on Thanksgiving. If I worked on it, I could probably figure out the year.

My spouse learned the same thing from her family, probably around the same period. @NoThankyou learned the same lesson, I know not when.

That said, yesterday I got out a 10x jeweler's loupe and examined the salt and pepper for myself. @GeorgeC is right about one thing - the salt crystals are smaller than the pepper grains overall. The salt is much more consistent, mostly in small, uniform cubes. The pepper granules are irregular and range in size, but most of them are larger than the salt.

This morning I remembered a gift I received from one of my children last year - a digital microscope. What a fun, useful gadget! I got it out this morning and took a closeup of the salt and pepper. See the attached photo.

My spouse just walked in and noticed my setup. She believes that the reason we were taught to put salt in the shaker with larger and more holes is that people want more salt on their food than pepper. The shakers with smaller/fewer holes help people control and limit the amount of pepper they put on their food. The practice dates back to the days before people tried to limit their salt intake.

The next time I am near a kitchen store, I will look at the salt and pepper shakers, as recommended by GeorgeC. We have Williams-Sonoma and similar stores in our area. You got me; I am very curious to see for myself.

TMI:
Our salt and pepper shakers are kept next to the stove, for use while cooking. We keep a salt shaker and pepper grinder next to the table. When people want pepper, they grind it on their food, like fancy restaurants. I bet that those granules are much larger than the fine commercially ground pepper.

Photo: Closeup of salt and commercially ground pepper granules on a painted green metal pullout from a tanker desk. The background looks white because of the shiny reflection of the LED light from the microscope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salt Crystals and Pepper Granules Closeup.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	380989  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode