Round picnic table plans - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

View RL44's Photo Album My Photos
Round picnic table plans

Can anyone help me?I `m trying to find a site that sells downloadable plans to make a round picnic table with attached benches.I have attached a few pictyres of what I am looking for.Anything round with attached benches.Please help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	round_pic_nic_tablexl.jpg
Views:	65027
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	42010  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to RL44 For This Useful Post:
cellobowman (07-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM

View Lowcountrygamecock's Photo Album My Photos
Very interested in this also. My wife wants one to go under the open shed in my new shop. I like the one in the bottom left. I briefly looked for plans one day and couldnt find a good round plan. I found several hexagon but still not quite what I was looking for.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Picnic Table plans

If anyone has a plan for a round picnic table they have made,can you please let me know where you got your plan(what site) and maybe post a picture.I`m looking for a round table with attached benches.thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I have plans for a round picnic table but the benches are not attached.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 AM

View Carvel Loafer's Photo Album My Photos
I want to build one like this some day too. I've subscribed to Woodsmith and Canadian Workshop for many many years and I'm sure when I get round 2 it there is a plan in one of those many magazines. I havn't built a whole lot but I dream a lot with my books.

Hope you find a good plan or make your own from the general idea and do a build thread for those of us who want to build one of these too.

"Workin hard at loafin!"
post #6 of 23 Old 04-03-2012, 06:35 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have plans for the table. I could help you make your own plans if I knew the dia of the top and heigth from the ground you like.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I would need plans for tables with a 47-58 inch diameter table top,and standard height 30 inches.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL44 View Post
I would need plans for tables with a 47-58 inch diameter table top,and standard height 30 inches.
Before we get started the outer diameter with a 47" to 58" top would be about 77" to 88" with the benches. Would this be acceptable?

Last edited by Steve Neul; 04-04-2012 at 01:04 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Yes,it would have to seat 6-8 people.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know how to draw on the computer, but you can make your plans from any of those pictures, s'pecially since you already have an idea of the deminsions you want. all three are basically the same except for the bench braces
post #11 of 23 Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 PM

OK guys I don't draw on a computer anyway and I'm using this picture to make the plans so here we go. Lets start with cutting the parts for the top and bench seats. It's up to you what material you want to use. There are a number of different woods you can use, the most common would be redwood, cedar or pressure treated pine. To make the material for the top come out symmetrical I planed it with using 10 2x6 boards for a diameter of 55". What I have drawn is simplified and you could save lumber by shortening some of the pieces that would go to waste but that is your choice. Lumber also varies in size so you may have to alter my dimensions. Lay out 16 straight 2x6 boards 56" long face down on the floor or if you have a large enough bench. Then mark the center. You may have to tack a thin piece of plywood there because the center may be on a seam. Then make a protractor like I have illustrated and set the nail 27 1/2" from the pencil notch. Now from the center mark you can draw a 55" circle which would be the top. Now move the nail out to 31 1/2" and draw the inside line of the benches. Then move the nail out to 44" and draw the outside edge of the bench. Now the dotted line is the center of the walk space between the benches. If you mark a line 8" from that line this will give you 16" between the benches. If you want a different space you can cut it smaller or bigger however it appears there is not a great deal of seating space between the leg and the end of the bench so I wouldn't make the space much bigger. After you've got everything laid out to suite you, you can cut the radius with a saber saw or band saw and sand the edges after it is assembled. If you use a saber saw you might want to cut outside the line. I've never had a saber saw that would cut 90 degrees all the time. You could also screw some 1x4's across the back side and use a circle cut router if you have one. Now with what you have there, there is only two benches. Once you've cut out one of the benches out you can use it as a pattern to make the other two which are not shown on the drawing.

The next drawing is the cross members to assemble the top and have a place to attach the legs. Use the longer 2x4 perpendicular across the joints of the top to tie them together and then run the shorter ones with the grain. Then if you plan to make a hole for an umbrella don't put any fasteners directly in the center. You will need some additional blocking on the ends but that could just be some 1x4's.

For now just wait on assembling the bench tops. Let me know if I missed anything. I'll work on the next step.

Attached Images

Last edited by Steve Neul; 04-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
post #12 of 23 Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 PM

I need to know if either of you are going to use an umbrella. If so I need to know if the shaft of the umbrella is larger than 1 1/2" in diameter.
Attached Images

post #13 of 23 Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Any questions so far?
post #14 of 23 Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 PM

View Woodi's Photo Album My Photos
Try this...

http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Round-Picnic-Benches-Woodworking/dp/B004A274F8
RJ
post #15 of 23 Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 AM

The original poster seem to loose interest so I quit.
post #16 of 23 Old 04-05-2015, 10:52 PM

View ElijahPark's Photo Album My Photos
@Steve Neul, I'd love the rest of it! I can draw my own plans mostly, but the seat/legs would be handy to have if you finished it. My husband and I never see plans the same way when we make our own so it's easier to use one already done! :)
post #17 of 23 Old 04-05-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahPark View Post
@Steve Neul, I'd love the rest of it! I can draw my own plans mostly, but the seat/legs would be handy to have if you finished it. My husband and I never see plans the same way when we make our own so it's easier to use one already done! :)
OK, give me a few days to get back into it. After three years I'll pretty much have to read what I wrote and start over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-06-2015)
post #18 of 23 Old 04-06-2015, 06:57 AM

It seems the unknown at this point is the height the seat is off the ground. I had some dimension planned but will have to determine what that was again. The legs would be centered 37 3/4" from the center with a 30 degree angle on each end like the table legs but I will need to layout the length when I have the seat height. I have to work away from the shop today so it may be this evening before I can layout anything.

I suppose before I do that, do you have any preference for the seat height?

Last edited by Steve Neul; 04-06-2015 at 07:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
ElijahPark (04-07-2015)
post #19 of 23 Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 AM

Thank you!

No hurry, I am grateful you'd put your valuable time to it. My goal is to have the V-shaped support for limited ground contact and I found a diagram of standard heights, but I'd like them taller. I am really tall and hate short seats. :D Years of never fitting! http://www.foreverredwood.com/media/...d_benches_.png

Ahem, this is just what I want, just looked at the price going with this drawing. In redwood, Your Price: From $1,999.00 to $4,799.00 - reason #357 I am glad I can build! LOL
post #20 of 23 Old 04-06-2015, 10:28 AM

PS, will drill 1.5" umbrella hole, I can adapt that, don't worry about it. I can also adjust leg height so you can make it standard so it's more usable for others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode