Rough Lumber in Connecticut - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 35 Old 07-27-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

View CTwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Rough Lumber in Connecticut

I've been looking for various types of lumber in CT. If any of you that are in CT know of sawmills that have reasonably priced lumber, please reply.

I'm looking for about 300 bd ft of clear poplar (or clear pine), but am also interested in buying smaller quantities of other woods like cherry, walnut, maple, cedar and oak.

The lumberyards around me that I am familiar with do not have very good prices. I have found other lumber suppliers and sawmills, but I have not been able to find poplar under $2. I have found poplar at $1 at several places, but they are all out of state. I do not have a large truck to haul lumber in, so I would have to get it shipped -- usually adds an extra $1 per board foot.

Connecticut doesn't seem to have as many sawmills as other states, but I'm still looking and hoping to find a sawmill that can supply me with poplar for $1.50 or less. Every sawmill that I have been in touch with so far charges 2-3 times what I would pay out of state (especially for hardwoods like cherry and walnut).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Luke
The Following User Says Thank You to CTwoodworker For This Useful Post:
Woodchuck65 (09-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Try here

post #3 of 35 Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Daren,
Thanks for the link -- your website was helpful. I'll be calling some more sawmills tomorrow.

A few sawmills in this area are Moore's Sawmill, Gregory Sawmill, Crosswinds Sawmill and Zuwalick and sons sawmill -- is anybody familiar with any of these?

One sawmill I contacted wanted $2.25 for 4/4 rough poplar. I'd like to get to at least $1.50 for poplar though. I know I have seen these prices out of state, (and even a little less than $1), but are there any places in CT that have these prices?

Am I being unreasonable to expect $1.50 or less for rough poplar lumber?

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodworker View Post

Am I being unreasonable to expect $1.50 or less for rough poplar lumber?

No, that is fair. Shop around you will find it. Hopefully someone in your area will chime in who ''knows a guy" close to you.

post #5 of 35 Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 AM

View BIGVIN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodworker View Post
I've been looking for various types of lumber in CT. If any of you that are in CT know of sawmills that have reasonably priced lumber, please reply.

I'm looking for about 300 bd ft of clear poplar (or clear pine), but am also interested in buying smaller quantities of other woods like cherry, walnut, maple, cedar and oak.

The lumberyards around me that I am familiar with do not have very good prices. I have found other lumber suppliers and sawmills, but I have not been able to find poplar under $2. I have found poplar at $1 at several places, but they are all out of state. I do not have a large truck to haul lumber in, so I would have to get it shipped -- usually adds an extra $1 per board foot.

Connecticut doesn't seem to have as many sawmills as other states, but I'm still looking and hoping to find a sawmill that can supply me with poplar for $1.50 or less. Every sawmill that I have been in touch with so far charges 2-3 times what I would pay out of state (especially for hardwoods like cherry and walnut).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Luke

Conway lumber in New Milford has hard wood and Berkshire products Inc. has hardwood and softwood. Berkshire is in Mass. right over the border from Cannan.
post #6 of 35 Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a great place to purchase lumber. I've used them for years when I had my shop in CT. Moores sawmill is not so great or wasn't when I was there. Berkshire Products is very nice also. I purchased most of my lumber and plywood from Allied Plywood in Springfield MA.

http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/

Red

Red
post #7 of 35 Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM

View hancockj's Photo Album My Photos
Try Sekulski Millworks llc. He is on Cedar Lane in New Hartford/Torrington town line. My buddy used him for some custom wavy edge pine siding for a lake house. Milled to his specs and was very very resonable with the price. I have not been there myself. I was told he has a decent selection allready milled. Where in CT are you?

Jack
post #8 of 35 Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've looked at CWG's price list. CWG charges about $2.15 for 4/4 poplar. I contacted Moore's sawmill and I think their lumber is a little overpriced.
I'll contact some of the other places mentioned.

I'm figuring that if I can get it from a local sawmill owner I'll have a better shot for getting a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancockj View Post
Try Sekulski Millworks llc. He is on Cedar Lane in New Hartford/Torrington town line. My buddy used him for some custom wavy edge pine siding for a lake house. Milled to his specs and was very very resonable with the price. I have not been there myself. I was told he has a decent selection allready milled. Where in CT are you?
East Lyme area.
post #9 of 35 Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

An update:

I got in touch with a few more sawmills today. Gregory Sawmill charges $2.25 per board foot for poplar (green) and $1.25 white pine. I haven't heard back from Zuwalick Sawmill yet.

I would like to buy poplar, but I am having a hard time finding it at a good price. I have looked on craigslist, and have found some people selling pine and oak for pretty good prices, but they don't sell poplar. I'm not sure if poplar isn't as common up here or what.

Any other sawmills that you have heard of/ have worked with? Also, if you could post their price, that would be great.

Luke
post #10 of 35 Old 07-29-2010, 06:28 AM

View BIGVIN's Photo Album My Photos
If your in East Lyme try Sawalic saw mill in Branford right off 95 exit 56 I think?
post #11 of 35 Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I think the sawmill off exit 56 is Zuwalick -- I called them today -- they didn't have much poplar now, but when they do, its about $2 bd ft. oak: $3 bd ft

I heard back from
conway lumber -- $2 bd ft poplar
Kellog hardwoods $1.60 bd ft poplar

I havent given up on finding an inexpensive sawmill locally, but I'm almost thinking that I may just have to drive some ways to get it.
A few I've found out of state:
http://www.oleksaklumber.com/pricing-calculator.php ($.75 -$1.75 depending on the grade) about 1 hr and a half away from me

Bucks Valley Sawmill LLC
913 Bucks Valley Road
Newport, PA 17074
poplar is $.68 bd ft green and $.96 dry (I won't drive that far -- 5 hrs.)

I found these just searching on the internet awhile ago. I've found a few websites for sawmills in CT, but none of them can come near to this price.

Nobody near me can beat bonesteelmillandmolding though -- by far the best prices I have seen: $.90 for poplar and $1.60 for cherry. I'm considering having hardwoods like cherry shipped for that price. I can't find it under $3 around here. Most places have it like 5 or 6 bucks a foot. http://bonesteelmillandmolding.com/p..._192dac55.html

Shipping adds almost $1 bd ft though. If you can get a good quote, more like .70, but thats still a lot. It would have to be significantly cheaper.

What do you guys think about shipping lumber? Also, anyone know anything about kellog hardwoods?

Any further ideas are welcome.

Luke

Last edited by CTwoodworker; 07-29-2010 at 10:52 AM.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

OK,

I think my best bet is Oleksak sawmill in MA. I also found Morse Lumber in MA as well. They have decent prices. I think I'll drive up there to get poplar and clear pine.

I still want to purchase hardwoods from Bonesteel Mill and Molding -- is anyone familiar with Bonesteel Mill and Molding? His hardwoods are very inexpensive and he has a lot of species that other places don't. ($1.60 bf for cherry is hard to beat)

Shipping lumber -- I'm not really sure what the best way to do this is. Is there some way to do a COD with a freight company? For those of you who have gotten shipped lumber before: do you have any tips?
post #13 of 35 Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Firewood Inquisitor

View sprior's Photo Album My Photos
I didn't catch which part of CT you're in - I'm in Danbury and would also love to find some good suppliers. I know there's a sawmill on Route 7 in the Georgetown/Wilton area that wasn't on the lists in this thread - haven't found out their prices yet.
post #14 of 35 Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprior View Post
I didn't catch which part of CT you're in - I'm in Danbury and would also love to find some good suppliers. I know there's a sawmill on Route 7 in the Georgetown/Wilton area that wasn't on the lists in this thread - haven't found out their prices yet.
I'm in the East Lyme area.

The only sawmill I have heard of in that area is Gregory Sawmill -- their prices run about the same as all of the other local sawills that I've contacted ($3 BF for oak, 2.25 for poplar)

What is the name of the sawmill that you know of in that area?
post #15 of 35 Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Firewood Inquisitor

I hadn't actually noticed the name of the place before, but after researching a little I think it's called "Board Silly" on the Ridgefield/Wilton line. They don't appear to have a website, don't know yet if they have a price list - it may be a place you just gotta go visit and see what's there. Anyone been there before and have a feel for the place?
post #16 of 35 Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I hadn't actually noticed the name of the place before, but after researching a little I think it's called "Board Silly" on the Ridgefield/Wilton line. They don't appear to have a website, don't know yet if they have a price list - it may be a place you just gotta go visit and see what's there. Anyone been there before and have a feel for the place?
I recall seeing that sawmill when I was researching sawmills...like you said, though, they don't have a website. Best thing to do is call them, which is what I did with Zuwalick sawmill, gregory sawmill and a few others that didnt have websites.
post #17 of 35 Old 08-13-2010, 12:49 AM

View craftsman jay's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for starting this thread. CT is one of the most expensive states to live in. My supplier is $3 for the poplar. Might have to change.

"My greatest creation wasn't made with my hands,
but my heart goes into everything I do." Craftsman Jay
post #18 of 35 Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Firewood Inquisitor

I stopped by Board Silly this morning and met the owner - seemed really nice. I hadn't planned to buy anything this trip, but then started looking around for some cheap cherry to practice with. I ended up paying $10 for 4 pieces of rough cut approx 1" thick cherry maybe 36" long which was from his odds and ends pile, plus he threw in a hunk of walnut for free. All of it was just to get some practice dealing with rough lumber and surfacing it, then maybe practicing some joinery. Lots of playtime in the shop for not much money.
post #19 of 35 Old 08-15-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman jay View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. CT is one of the most expensive states to live in. My supplier is $3 for the poplar. Might have to change.
Yeah, it is. Best i have seen for poplar in CT is $1.60, but that is kellog hardwoods way next to NY i think. About 2 hrs or so away from me. I can go to MA (anout 1hr 30 mins) and get poplar for $0.75 -$1.50 BF depending on the grade. New England Hardwoods and CWG have poplar for about 2.25. Still a lot more than it is out of state.

Quote:
I stopped by Board Silly this morning and met the owner - seemed really nice. I hadn't planned to buy anything this trip, but then started looking around for some cheap cherry to practice with. I ended up paying $10 for 4 pieces of rough cut approx 1" thick cherry maybe 36" long which was from his odds and ends pile, plus he threw in a hunk of walnut for free. All of it was just to get some practice dealing with rough lumber and surfacing it, then maybe practicing some joinery. Lots of playtime in the shop for not much money.
Thats pretty neat! So does he have a shop/warehouse area that you can stop by and see his stock lumber?

I'm not sure how much time you spent there, but did you happen to notice his prices per board foot for 4/4 rough poplar? What about the other types of wood?

Does he have a large amount in stock?

It looks like we are building up a good directory for sawmills in CT -- lets keep working on this!
Luke

Last edited by CTwoodworker; 08-15-2010 at 12:34 AM.
post #20 of 35 Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM

View Waldo's Photo Album My Photos
Getting lumber hauled

If it were me,I would simply buy a trailer and a hitch for my vehicle. Good open trailers are not very expensive and for a little gas money and time you can go to the places that have the good deals. Plus you only have to buy the trailer once. I have driven 400 miles one way for a load of good priced boards.
Good Luck Waldo

Tags
connecticut, hardwoods, poplar, rough lumber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode