Woodworking Talk banner

Risk of warpage in transit for unfinished countertop

619 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Steve Neul 
G
#1 · (Edited)
I’m considering buying an unfinished wide plank, walnut countertop (98” long) to be shipped cross country and have concerns about the risk of warpage in transit. I will have cabinets sitting directly on top of it so I need it to be level. I was told by the company selling it that any warpage could be taken out by screwing it to the cabinets below. Is this true?

Thanks for any help you can give

#2 ·
Is this a single piece like a tree trunk slab, or a build up of boards to 26" or so wide? Is the material kiln dried or air dried? How thick is the piece? How is it being packaged for shipment? Wrapped or boxed?

#3 ·
You sure don't want to screw the top to the cabinet, that is an invite for it to split. Transporting wood across a long distance invites wood movement. What it needs is have an even air flow to both sides of the top. Then let the top acclimate to the new environment for a week or two before doing anything with it. If it's going to be transported in an open vehicle try to keep the sun off of it. If the sun bakes one side it will cause an imbalance in moisture content. An imbalance in moisture content is what causes warpage.

When you do install the countertop be sure to finish the underneath side of the top so moisture from the air doesn't get to the wood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.