Woodworking Talk banner

Ripping Blades . . . .

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  heavenlywoodcreation 
#1 ·
How many of you have a dedicated ripping blade? I have one but do not like it. I'm using the combo blade for ripping it does better than the Chinese no-name rip I have.. So I'm shopping because I have a ton of ripping lined up that I must do. Like a 40+ hour weeks worth.
Freud looks like the frontrunner so far. They make a 36 flat tooth design in a 16" and of course Freud is top notch. Like most everyone said in the "Dado vs Router" thread I too am a Forrest man. But Forrest doesn't make a dedicated ripping blade at least as I can tell on their website.
Haven't checked Amana.
Anyone have any other ideas where to look please let me know. A google search of "16" saw blades" and other variants brings up suprisingly little.

#6 ·
Hi TexasTimbers,

I use Forrest miter masters on my compound miter saw, however when I started woodworking I couldn't afford Forrest. I went with a set from Amana. It contained a dedicated rip, cross cut and a combination. I haven't replaced them with Forrest yet because work prettyy well and haven't worn them out. They are used on my Unisaw about 2 or 3 hours a week all year, sometimes more. Hope this helps a little?

Eddy

#7 · (Edited)
Most of my cutting is ripping and rough cutting.
It just doesn't make sense to put all that wear on an expensive blade
when the finish of the cut isn't a factor.
I buy the el-cheapo rip blades for under $15.00 at Home Depot
or Lowes. They rip fast and good and at that price I can replace
them cheaper than having one sharpened.
Saves money in the long run by not wearing my expensive blades.
But mine are 10"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.