Woodworking Talk banner

Returning to woodworking and needing to set-up shop

552 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  difalkner 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have woodworking experience, but from a couple of decades ago. I am an avid DIY'er and I have bought and flipped homes as well as done major renovations and remodels on my own homes so I know my way around power tools.

The other day, I came across a listing for a Makita Electric Works Planer/Jointer Combo on Craigslist. It was an old heavy duty cast-iron machine that the prior owner said worked great. I just need to have the rollers recovered so the wood can be pushed through. It was listed for $350. So I took a chance and went and looked at it.

When I got there, my mouth dropped open and drool started to flow. There was an old Powermatic Table Saw with an Incra Jig Fence system along with a router table attached to it. A Rockwell floor mount drill press and a beautiful wood working table that the guy had built made out of Mahogany, Cherry and Pine. And a whole bunch of clamps, and other things.

The owner's wife was selling everything as her husband had passed away suddenly after just retiring.

She had the table saw priced at $1200. I told her that the Incra system alone was worth over $1500.

My wife and I spent the next few hours going over all the things she had and suggesting prices. I also told her what accessories went with what tool. She is a wonderful women and was great to work with.

I ended up buying the Makita Planer/Jointer and the Drill Press along with a Starret vernier Caliper and a mechanics caliper for about $400.

From my DIY work, I have a 12" sliding compound miter saw, a 10" contractors table saw. a powered hand plane. Several drill drivers. A full assembly of mechanics tools.

I have a few hand planes, not as many as I'd like nor as good as I'd like.

Some machinist's squares. And other layout tools.

What I need help with is getting a good starters set of woodworkers tools so that I can get going.

Oh yeah, the woman who sold me the planer/jointer also gave me a bunch of cherry wood that had been installed in a house in Vail. I have a few newell posts and spindels. And about 3-400 board feet of flat stock. Most of it has some finish on it so the planer will come in handy.

And, the prior owner of my house left behind some 5/4 by 6 mahogany or walnut in various lengths from 8' to 10'.

Thanks for any assistance that you all can give me. And I look forward to learning from all.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.