restricted workspace pics and ideas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 26 Old 07-07-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

View Steve 1980's Photo Album My Photos
restricted workspace pics and ideas

please posts pics of your small workshops and ideas of how to fit in maximum tools to a small space comments on required distances from walls and other obstructions as many ideas as possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-07-2015, 07:29 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It would be nice if you provided an introduction to yourself.

Just what tools do you want to arrange? What are the dimensions of the space? As much information as you have will help people to give you ideas.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (07-07-2015)
post #3 of 26 Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

i already have my small workshop arranged but it is ever changing and im very welcome to new ideas and interested to see how other members have theres

Thanks steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-07-2015, 10:11 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
my shop isn't "small" but ....

It's about 25 ft on a side square and filled with tools, stacks of lumber, tables and other woodworking items.

Here's the deal on a small shop. Tp deal with 4 X 8 ft sheets you need about 20 ft of length. You need the same to rip lumber that's 8 ft long. You need 20 ft to run it through a thickness planer. So a long narrow shop would work better than a smaller square one.
Crosscutting lumber to length with a miter saw along one wall would also be ideal.

If you have to break down 4 X 8 sheets, then a panel saw that is vertical is the best answer over a table saw because everything will be in the way and have to be moved to rip it OR you can cut it up into more manageable pieces outside and bring it inside.

The ceiling height is also important and 8 ft won't work, 9 ft is better and 10 ft is best. I struggled with an 8 ft ceiling for several years and finally raised it up 2 ft.

When working with a table saw or thickness planer you need both infeed and outfeed supports. It's absolutely a necessity for safety since you can't be walking around trying to guide material and feed it at the same time. The thickness planer will self feed so that's a bit easier. than the table saw.

All my walls have windows, doors, or storage racks or shelves and there is no room left for any more tools or clamps. That won't stop me from getting more however.....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Steve 1980 (07-09-2015)
post #5 of 26 Old 07-08-2015, 08:52 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Wood shops and tools IMO come in a variety of sizes & shapes, and are as individual as the woodworking person using them! It would be good to have you give the size of YOUR small workshop, tools, and what you hope to change. Be safe.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-09-2015, 06:10 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
I'd say the #1 rule should be..."Go vertical".

Any horizontal surface in any size shop is going to be cluttered.It drives me absolutely batchitcrazy.Never put a TS close to the entrance of a commercial shop.....heck,never put ANY flat storage near the entrance.....

Think of a mechanics toolbx.Tall,slender'ish item with tonnes of storage.Now look at a typical w/end warrior WW'rs storage/bench.

I don't care what size shop it is...wasting space is for numbskulls.And the first person that sets their "package" down on our TS is going to be picking it up off the floor......just sayin,go vertical.

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
Steve 1980 (07-10-2015)
post #7 of 26 Old 07-09-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping on some pictures just to see how others do it but advice is very welcome best advice I can offer is have a place for everything and everything in its place
post #8 of 26 Old 07-09-2015, 09:37 PM

View Dovetails's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 1980 View Post
I was hoping on some pictures just to see how others do it but advice is very welcome best advice I can offer is have a place for everything and everything in its place
The most organized small shop I've ever seen was one that a guy had setup in the back of their enclosed trailer. It featured a variety of tools, and was highly functional and very organized. It was on Youtube. If I could remember what it was I would direct you, but I would suggest trying to search for it. Mobile carpenters must be compact, and efficient... Should give you some great ideas.

*Edit - I found him. Ron Paulk. Look him up on youtube. Very good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvWYkzuNssM

Last edited by Dovetails; 07-09-2015 at 09:41 PM.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
My central work area. Table saw with outfeed table that also serves as an assembly table, clamping station or whatever I need to do.

I can rip stock up to about 45 inches in length. Any thing longer, I raise the door. Since I have it air conditioned, The door normally stays down.

Today, I was drilling pocket holes, using the jig saw and ROS sander and assembling a small project.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Steve 1980 (07-10-2015)
post #10 of 26 Old 07-10-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mtstringer for the pics I did consider placing the table saw at the up and over garage door therefor allowing any length of lumber to Rip but considering we get very short summer I opted to position pointing out towards door leaving at least eight foot as it happens there's about fifteen . I had my table saw on weels and was using it for both ripping and crosscutting I have just recently purcised a mitre saw and fixed the table saw in permanent position see my other thread (makita 1018l) I have posted a few pics and will post finished project . I received cross cut saw today and it was it required a lot more space than expected so I'm in the middle of an interesting idea of sending the sliding rails out the wall to save space behind The saw holding on to valuable ripping space on table saw
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 1980 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (07-10-2015)
post #11 of 26 Old 07-10-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith View Post
I'd say the #1 rule should be..."Go vertical".

Any horizontal surface in any size shop is going to be cluttered.It drives me absolutely batchitcrazy.Never put a TS close to the entrance of a commercial shop.....heck,never put ANY flat storage near the entrance.....

Think of a mechanics toolbx.Tall,slender'ish item with tonnes of storage.Now look at a typical w/end warrior WW'rs storage/bench.

I don't care what size shop it is...wasting space is for numbskulls.And the first person that sets their "package" down on our TS is going to be picking it up off the floor......just sayin,go vertical.
I too have a hate for flat spaces gathering clutter and 100% get what your saying thanks for the advice great comment
post #12 of 26 Old 08-31-2015, 03:33 PM

View acidrad's Photo Album My Photos
restricted workspace pics and ideas-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1441049473.281657.jpgrestricted workspace pics and ideas-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1441049504.035384.jpgrestricted workspace pics and ideas-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1441049534.086906.jpg

8x9 shop.....enjoy your shop no matter how small...No excuses about being to small from anyone.....yes that is a fold down router table
The Following User Says Thank You to acidrad For This Useful Post:
BWSmith (09-01-2015)
post #13 of 26 Old 08-31-2015, 04:41 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Steve
IMO, any small shop benefits from drawers. Drawers to keep hand tools, fasteners, small portable tools, etc. Drawers make good use of space.
They can fill the voids under a workbench and can be stacked to a height that is useful for other purposes. Tool stands, router tables etc can all be filled with drawers.
post #14 of 26 Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM

View mtnwalton's Photo Album My Photos
Flip top outfeed / assy table

I'm sure this isn't a new design but I didn't see it anywhere. My garage is extremely tight with mower, shop and sometimes a car. This table has dual locking all swivel casters. I flip the top up and can store my table saw in the opening. The legs are 1x4 hollow construction, the apron hinges and swings into mortise opening for strength as well as utlizing locking clamps. Top is 7/8" plywood with 1/2" mdf. I had planned on a torsion box top but had other materials and really was short on time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150824_180448.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	181977  

Name:	20150824_181058.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	181985  

Name:	20150824_181509.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	181993  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnwalton For This Useful Post:
BWSmith (09-01-2015), woodnthings (09-01-2015)
post #15 of 26 Old 09-01-2015, 05:00 PM

Steve,see if this uploads
Attached Images

post #16 of 26 Old 09-01-2015, 05:03 PM

Look past the obvious....just playing with a new camera.

post #17 of 26 Old 09-01-2015, 05:14 PM

mtnwalton.....that last pic on your post is BA.Cheers,BW

post #18 of 26 Old 09-01-2015, 05:47 PM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith View Post
Steve,see if this uploads
Is that a holstered hammer drill in ur first pic?
post #19 of 26 Old 09-01-2015, 06:53 PM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by was2ndlast View Post
Is that a holstered hammer drill in ur first pic?
Yes, and the device next to it is a bit sharpener.
post #20 of 26 Old 09-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
I feel restricted in 1750 sqft.

Looking for 10k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode