Woodworking Talk banner

Resin help

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mikhail2400 
#1 ·
I would like to try to make something out of wood and resin. Send a few different videos of these and like how things come out. Was wondering what kind of resin they use and how they color it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
When I’ve seen things like pen blanks that are cracked or irregularly shaped wood filled in with resin, I think it’s been a resin called Alumilite which is cast in forms.

https://www.turntex.com/product/casting-with-alumilite

Punky wood can be stabilized with Cactus juice.

https://www.turntex.com/product/cactus-juice-resin-and-dyes

Cracks in table tops and stuff like that can be done with a product called Inlace.

http://www.inlaceonline.com/text/products/kits.html

You can also buy crushed stone and mix with Epoxy.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/...t-Crushed-Stone?term=turquoise&term=turquoise

#4 ·
Back when I had my picture frame shop I also sold custom hand carved ornate gold leaf frames. The hand carved bit was a little bit of exaggeration. Most of the carving was done with a pantograph and a router. Only the finish carving was done by hand.

A customer brought in a frame for a painting that he was selling for one hundred thousand dollars. The existing frame appeared to be hand carved of wood but the gold leaf was flaking off.

Close examination of the "carving" showed that it was cast resin. Whereas an impact on the carved wood would only leave a tiny dent, impact on the resin left no dent, but knocked a bit flake off the resin.

I sent it to the frame making company and they repaired it for $800.00 (a replacement frame was $4,500.00 back then--according to the consumer price index about $9,950.00 in today's dollars.)

All of this to say that resin does not take finish well and has no "yield" built into it so impacts are devastating.

#5 ·
I would like to try to make something out of wood and resin.
Stemy - exactly what is it that you want to make ?
ink pens, coffee mugs, river tables, etc.
a little more information of what direction you are going
would be a great help.
resins and epoxies are not the same. they all have different
characteristics for different applications.
a generic sample photo of your interests will help us help you.

#7 · (Edited)
ok - what wood do you have access to ?
River Clocks are are not all that popular so examples are slim.
cruise through Pinterest and find one you like that is
within your skill set and tools you have access to and
go from there.
the style for this type of project is "River" or "Live Edge"
I saw a couple of videos on YouTube that might help you.
search for: River Clock. [the same process for a River or
Live Edge table would be the same for a clock. so search it too].
you gotta have the wood first - then a design - then the plan - then the resin.
and when it comes time to pour the resin: TONS of practice must be put
into pouring on scraps so you get the hang of it. it would be a shame to
do all that work on the wood and molding only to muck it up beyond repair
with a bad resin pour.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Live Edge Clock

in my experience of embedding fuzzy things in plastic,
there is a certain procedure you must follow or else you
will have bubbles that will not go away and will be in the
resin forever.

Stemy: when it comes time to actually start your project,
you should start a new thread for that project so everyone can be
on the same page with you for accurate feedback information.

and as I noted above:
you gotta have the wood first - then a design - then the plan - then the resin.
and when it comes time to pour the resin: TONS of practice must be put
into pouring on scraps so you get the hang of it. it would be a shame to
do all that work on the wood and molding only to muck it up beyond repair
with a bad resin pour.
embedding fuzzy things in plastic is not that difficult, if you do it right the first time.
if done incorrectly, you may not get the second chance to do it over.

and the clock does not have to be the generic round style. it can be any piece of wood
with a flat surface.
the design and type of materials used is limited only by your imagination.

Attachments

#11 ·
I happened to watch a video on Youtube today and the guy was testing the cheapest epoxys he could find on Amazon. He used a pressure pot to remove air bubbles from one test batch and let the other batch harden naturally. The pressure pot batch all came out nice and clear while the others not so much. In the end he he said he would not reccomend any of the cheap epoxys for turning as 2 came apart on the lathe but for plain old fill they were fine. Now the brand he normally uses was a well known one which I saw mentioned above, it was Alumalite. Theres quite a few different brands out there and with a little searching you can get there names from other Youtube vids. One day I want to try the epoxy in a few projects too as they can really make some intresting pieces.

Another thing I saw was a guy had the epoxy bleed out into the surrounding wood and basically ruining the piece. So that is another problem you may want to research on how to prevent. Im sure a few of these guys can chime in on that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.