Research for Online Slab/Barnwood Project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By TheTwistedSlab
  • 3 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 2 Post By Terry Q
  • 2 Post By TheTwistedSlab

post #1 of 19 Old 11-09-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

View TheTwistedSlab's Photo Album My Photos
Research for Online Slab/Barnwood Project

I currently build furniture, doors, cabinets out of barnwood and slabs for a living working for someone else. Now, I am trying to figure out how to create some income online for myself via a website with blog, e-book, my own store with projects for sale, etc.

Do you think an e-book on how to build with slabs and barnwood would be of interest? If so, what would be a nice price point?

What do you all find the most challenging when building with slabs and barnwood?

Also I am trying to figure out the market. Why do you woodwork? Do you all woodwork for a living or is this a hobby? Or both

Thanks for any responses.

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Jesse! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel. You can add your first name to your signature line and you won't have to type it each time.

You'll find that very few people will respond to newcomers asking for marketing research like this. If you want to get the info you seek then the best way is to become an active participant of the forum, learn what people have trouble with in woodworking and finishing, see how more experienced folks reply, and pick up what you can from that. After you've become known as an active forum member then folks might give you a little more for your research.

Speaking for me personally I have no interest in building with slabs or barnwood so I won't be your target audience or customer.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 19 Old 11-09-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response David

I understand.

Though a tad vague, I added a location. I live 20 minutes outside of Boone, NC.

You are on point about being an active member. I am not trying to be a hit-it-and-quit-it.
difalkner and hawkeye10 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-10-2019, 11:02 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Hobby. No interest in your book, so sorry. If you are going to make an e-book, have a plan regarding piracy issues.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-10-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Good point about piracy. Never thought of that and just googled and came up with "rampant and impossible to stop" headline.

Will look into that more. Thanks
post #6 of 19 Old 11-10-2019, 12:05 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
avoiding the term "pallet wood" in anything you say or do
will help to keep your chin above water (a little).
in my very personal opinion, slabs, barnwood, reclaimed wood, etc
has been beat to death. it will probably eventually go away with the Pet Rock.
wishing you all the best in your adventures.
e-books are for e-people that are interested in e-things. . . I am not one of those e-peoples.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #7 of 19 Old 11-10-2019, 12:56 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
How about posting examples of what you do
Tony B and John Smith_inFL like this.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-10-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Good point on using term "pallet wood." I hear you on e-books, just trying to think of ways to create passive income or content to offer.

I agree that rustic is probably near peak trend or has been for a while - especially people building without thinking of wood movement and so forth.

I tend to disagree that it will go away like the pet rock. I mean how hold are some of Nakashima's pieces? I like slabs aesthetically and will always like them. It doesn't mean that everything in my house is slabbed out. Same with barn wood.

Thanks for the comments.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-10-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey Terry,

Here are a couple photos representing a slab and a barnwood project. The desk out of blue mold pine was built in the shop under my house that has been a work in progress for a couple years and the barnwood cabinet was made where I am employed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	380493  

Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	380497  

difalkner and Tool Agnostic like this.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-10-2019, 08:29 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Rustic has it's place.....

Nice barnwood chest in the bottom photo. There's a lot of folks doing epoxy river slabs table tops. It's a great way to use a raw edge and still have a pretty refined table top... just my opinion. Check out these builds:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...t+river+tables

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 19 Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've helped build quite a few river tables.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-11-2019, 09:35 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with you that things made of barn wood will stay around for a long time but I also think it's a fad. Most everything is a fad, how we dress, hair cuts, cars, the color of paint we use on our walls in the house. So I think you need to be able to change when a new fad comes along it woodworking.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

I agree Don
post #14 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwistedSlab View Post
...............................I tend to disagree that it will go away like the pet rock. I mean how hold are some of Nakashima's pieces?....................
I have been to George Nakashima's shop sometime in the late 1980's. He was a true artisan, not just in using slabs, but in selecting the slabs. He traveled around the world touring sawmills and lumber suppliers for slabs. They were breathtaking.
To stretch a comparison, go out and buy some oil paint and create a DeVinci or a Michaelangelo competitive piece.

With serious environmental concerns, wood furniture itself may go completely out of style. Never know what tomorrow brings.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #15 of 19 Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 AM
Newbie but oldie

View Rider351's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
avoiding the term "pallet wood" in anything you say or do
will help to keep your chin above water (a little).
in my very personal opinion, slabs, barnwood, reclaimed wood, etc
has been beat to death. it will probably eventually go away with the Pet Rock.
wishing you all the best in your adventures.
e-books are for e-people that are interested in e-things. . . I am not one of those e-peoples.

Totally agree with John. The pallet crap is just so overworked and it is gone soon. Popular with hobby wood workers lie me is project plans as found on instrucabales website. Great projects. Your adventure should avoid current popular items and look into specific projects or techniques that can be used to make wood working easier. Short projects to start.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-16-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Tony,

I certainly wasn't trying to make any comparisons to Nakashima's art/skill/talent/vision - just pointing out that slab furniture has been around for decades.

I know a lot of the logs that become slabs in my area come from tree services with trees that came down in storms, but we never know what future generations will like or accept and why. Thanks for thoughts

Last edited by TheTwistedSlab; 11-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-16-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments Rider.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-16-2019, 04:16 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwistedSlab View Post
Tony,.........I know a lot of the logs that become slabs in my area come from tree services with trees that came down in storms, but we never know what future generations will like or accept and why. Thanks for thoughts
Sorry if my reply was offensive, It wasn't meant to be. I was just trying to make a point that not all slab wood is desirable. Unless someone just happened to get just the right shapes for river tables, they really need to have great coloring and and other features to blow you away.
Also I didnt realize that barn wood was still sought after. That was real popular in the late 1960's and 70's. Most people were after the silver gray color of the weathering and were using it for paneling in dens and rec rooms. Sometimes fads fade away and then make a resurgence 40 years later, like bell bottom pants.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #19 of 19 Old 11-17-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

I didn't find it offensive. I just didn't want folks to think I was comparing myself to Nakashima.

I hear you on selecting choice slabs. They can certainly be pretty boring or have that wow factor - and also some wood is stabler than others.

I live in the mountains of North Carolina and barnwood is pretty popular here for cabinets, sliding interior barndoors and wall paneling. I don't think it would look right in say, a nice home in Miami, though. But in the mountains, it seems to work.

I didn't realize barnwood was popular back then. Interesting. One thing I want to research is when slab furniture and barnwood first became a thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode