7Likes
  • 3 Post By nywoodwizard
  • 2 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By Catpower
  • 1 Post By nywoodwizard

post #1 of 9 Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
Repurposing vintage wood/lumber

There just something special to me about repurposing old lumber/wood. It pays homage to the original woodworker/carpenters who made & installed the item's and the history they endured.

I'm working of a few projects repurposing wood. One I'm reusing some 100 year old exterior corbles for a fireplace mantle, stripping a 100 years of paint is no easy task but I think it's worth it. Second is I'm repurposing a 100 year old 3x12 roof rafter removed from a building in NYC for the mantle top. Third I removed a dozen windows from my daughter's house built early 1950's, all made out of 5/4 Doug fir, most all is good reusable lumber, I'll clean off all the painted surfaces and build her a table.
Attached Images

new2woodwrk, IowaDave and Roybrew like this.

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-26-2017, 09:36 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Repurposing

Your workbench looks a lot like a table saw.
new2woodwrk and IowaDave like this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 9 Old 11-26-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, small shop but I used some scrap wood to keep the chemicals off saw & table top.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-26-2017, 08:11 PM

View Fishbucket's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent !

I love doing that myself. Always have my eyes pealed for lumber, stumps, logs.

I cut it 3 times..... and it's still too short.

Dont go ninja'ing anybody that dont need no ninja'ing...
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 AM

View IowaDave's Photo Album My Photos
I love to reuse wood too. Years later I can still look at a project and know to myself where that wood came from. It gives me a level of satisfaction only other nutty wood workers can appreciate. :)

Nice work!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2017, 04:43 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
I always enjoy "repurposing" wood, especially when I know the history. I've actually reused wood from things I've built that were no longer needed.

I once acquired a semi-demolished old dresser, the sides & top of which turned out to be solid 3/4" thick mahogany, not veneer. I made several things from that wood over the years.

I also grabbed the drawers from some old bedroom furniture that was going to the dump. The drawer sides were sycamore, as identified by some good soul on this forum, and I used it for components of several wooden puzzles that have been given to family members.

Most recently, we got rid of an old piano that we eventually had to pay to be hauled away. Prior to its departure, I scavenged several pieces of wood from the case. It appeared to be veneered with some flavor of rosewood, and there were a few relatively small pieces of solid rosewood that I was able to save. On one good-sized board, the veneer was really messed up, and after running it through the planer, I found the base wood to be walnut, which was a surprise. And several pieces in the structure appear to be quartersawn white oak. I'm drawing up sketches now to use the oak to make an Arts & Crafts style mantel clock.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Some would be surprised of the old wood gems that can be found, restored and/or repurposed, much of it of good quality & from older growth trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
I always enjoy "repurposing" wood, especially when I know the history. I've actually reused wood from things I've built that were no longer needed.

I once acquired a semi-demolished old dresser, the sides & top of which turned out to be solid 3/4" thick mahogany, not veneer. I made several things from that wood over the years.

I also grabbed the drawers from some old bedroom furniture that was going to the dump. The drawer sides were sycamore, as identified by some good soul on this forum, and I used it for components of several wooden puzzles that have been given to family members.

Most recently, we got rid of an old piano that we eventually had to pay to be hauled away. Prior to its departure, I scavenged several pieces of wood from the case. It appeared to be veneered with some flavor of rosewood, and there were a few relatively small pieces of solid rosewood that I was able to save. On one good-sized board, the veneer was really messed up, and after running it through the planer, I found the base wood to be walnut, which was a surprise. And several pieces in the structure appear to be quartersawn white oak. I'm drawing up sketches now to use the oak to make an Arts & Crafts style mantel clock.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I have been repurposing an 8 foot walnut gun case I built that was just about finished, about 3 years ago our dipchit son was working on his van in the wood shop, and he laid the power steering pump on the top of the bottom section and fluid ran across the top down the sides and front

He (and I) was lucky they were gone for a couple weeks when I first saw it, I would probably still be in jail for another 100 year
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Finished rehabbing these old doug fir exterior brackets, they'll be spending the next 50 or so years holding up a new mantle.

Once i de-nailed & stripped all the paint off, I ran them through the jointer, they were out of square. Then ripped the back & top down to 2 1/2", they were just too thick. Also had to straightened up the 4 radius portions a bit, they didn't match too well. (Almost 5/8 off from each other.).

These parts were on the same house but not together, but they sure look good together.
Attached Images

Terry Q likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode